What's new

BD-Burma Relations

Lets say Myanmar attacks Bangladesh, will India sit back and let a friendly nation be invaded in its own backyard? Not saying Bangladesh can't defend itself, but i hardly think India would tolerate such aggression.

What a ******* joke!! Literally :lol::rofl:

Lets say Myanmar attacks Bangladesh, will India sit back and let a friendly nation be invaded in its own backyard? Not saying Bangladesh can't defend itself, but i hardly think India would tolerate such aggression.

that is where we have some doubts.India may condemn their act but still....I like being prepped and all.

about airpower,what air defences and fighter aircraft do the Burmese have?

anything of our airforce any use against them?

The Burmese have 10 Mig-29s and use almost the same jets that we use.They have the edge in numbers.Their army size is way more than Bangladesh army.You already looked at how much they spend on defence.At least 5 billion more than Bangladesh according to the facts posted by Pmukherjee.

The Burmese have 10 Mig-29s and use almost the same jets that we use.They have the edge in numbers.Their army size is way more than Bangladesh army.You already looked at how much they spend on defence.At least 5 billion more than Bangladesh according to the facts posted by Pmukherjee.

Dear Sir,

I saw your introduction of this subject with surprise. It has been traditional for Bangladesh to suspect India of every harmful thought and action, and it was difficult to understand why you were not conscious of the far more aggressive neighbour on your other side.

Very briefly, during a defence related seminar's workshop sessions for a particular organisation, participants were required to map the military disposition of countries in India's neighbourhood, as far as Vietnam on the east, as far as Iran on the west. On the conclusion of the workshop, every group came to various conclusions; there was a lot of variety in these.

The one common conclusion was that there was a potentially difficult situation for Bangladesh on her eastern frontier.

You are requested to map the locations of the Burmese/Myanmarese military for yourself to come to the conclusions that the participants did (it was a mixed group of serving military personnel and civilians involved in supporting activities; I hasten to add that there was no clandestine organisation represented, and that it was part of an academic programme. My involvement is with production and design of equipment or connected artefacts). I regret to inform you that the conclusions were startling, and if we had been Bangladeshi, unsettling.

During the discussion that ensued, several interesting suggestions were made, but they were all rejected by the participants on the grounds that these would not be practical and realistic until a greater degree of trust existed between Bangladesh and India. This was seen to be a weakening factor for both nations' defence needs, and as a failure to take advantage of the synergy of a common frontier with a threatening third country, as well as a complementarity of equipment and organisation.

There was seen to be significant scope for mutual cooperation. There was also a consensus that any initiative by India would create too much suspicion and resistance for any hope of success. Ulterior motives would be attributed. It was considered better to remain prepared to help, and to let it be known very discreetly, so that in case of need, there should be no doubt that help would be forthcoming, with no strings attached.

There was also general agreement that Indian foreign policy was completely mistaken, and that a sycophantic attitude to the dictatorship was alien to our own democratic approach, and this would lead to nothing but bitter resentment among Burmese democrats and the democratic resistance to the generals, and that this resentment would be expressed in violent terms when the military regime inevitably crumbles and a popular government comes to power. It was felt that our foreign policy should display a more ethical and morally correct approach, and not seek to outdo the Chinese in courting favour from the military.

On a different and entirely personal level of evaluation, it would seem that in this connection, a completely different mission profile for the Bangladesh military may be addressed gainfully, and that this profile is capable of being serviced with very cost-effective organisation structures and military equipment. As it may not be of general interest, I am refraining from any further detailed discussion on those aspects.

Military action must always be the last resort, but it is not going to be easy to deal with a dictatorial regime focussed on the personal aggrandisement of a handful of military dictators without effective counters in support. In Teddy Roosevelt's words, it behoves you to "speak softly and carry a big stick."

May I sincerely compliment you and your Bangladeshi colleagues on taking up an issue overdue for consideration?

'Joe S.'

I strongly believe that Pakistan and Bangladesh should move with each other and should have a common block. Bangladesh needs to identify their enemies. It is really unfortunate that BD is naturally surrounded by its hostile enemies but now we should learn the lesson, IMO we should develop a common force to defend every inch of the Muslim sub-continent. Cooperation not only in the field of defense but in every field is the need of the hour. Sooner we learn, better will be for us.

The pool is for every one. If India went in it the rest(China,US,Pakistan,Sirilanka) are likely to dive in it .
But i guess India will only lend a diplomatic support but not a milletery one. On the North it Fears China and in the west it Fears Pakistan .

I strongly believe that Pakistan and Bangladesh should move with each other and should have a common block. Bangladesh needs to identify their enemies. It is really unfortunate that BD is naturally surrounded by its hostile enemies but now we should learn the lesson, IMO we should develop a common force to defend every inch of the Muslim sub-continent. Cooperation not only in the field of defense but in every field is the need of the hour. Sooner we learn, better will be for us.

I belive the Establishment in BD is very Diverse and their country is pretty much developing .They need assistance in almost every arena and i guess India would be a perfect choice for the BD rather than Pakistan.
But its up to India that how do they play their cards.

I belive the Establishment in BD is very Diverse and their country is pretty much developing .They need assistance in almost every arena and i guess India would be a perfect choice for the BD rather than Pakistan.
But its up to India that how do they play their cards.

India is as much their enemy as they are of Pakistan. I don’t think any reason why they should move to India, a strong united army like NATO would do the job .

given who the PM is right now I don't think Pak-BD alliance is possible.

For example , the water resources minister said that the opposition are howling about the Tipaimukh Dam so that Khaleda Zia doesn't have to leave her cantonment house.Pretty pathetic.I expected more from the AL govt.God knows what they will think up of if something serious happens and the Pakistan govt offers to help.

note this though: help from both India and Pakistan are welcome for this issue.We also need US support to counter China.

given who the PM is right now I don't think Pak-BD alliance is possible.

For example , the water resources minister said that the opposition are howling about the Tipaimukh Dam so that Khaleda Zia doesn't have to leave her cantonment house.Pretty pathetic.I expected more from the AL govt.God knows what they will think up of if something serious happens and the Pakistan govt offers to help.

note this though: help from both India and Pakistan are welcome for this issue.We also need US support to counter China.

Improving relations with Pakistan will automatically improve your relations with China and due to Chinese influence on Myanmar, you will resolve the problem of Myanmar also. As far as relations with US are concerned, you might have heard that the enemy of US might survive but the friend of US wont survive.

But it all depends on choosing the right leaders and not the Indian agents.

This overhyped and over exaggerated thread was opened to divert attention from relentless and blatant hostility by india towards Bnagladesh. Only significant dispute Bangladesh has with Myanmar is maritime border and it could be resolved more easily than what indias had been doing in and against Bangladesh.

• Occupying Bangladeshi island
  • Encroaching Bangladeshi water and land
  • Damming rivers and drying Bangladesh
  • Pushing drugs into Bangladesh
  • Destroying Bangladesh industries
  • Killing Bangladeshi citizens every other day
  • Destroying Bangladesh defense forces by subversion and using Awami proxy govt.
  • Repressing Bangladeshi citizens who raise voice against indian repression using Awami proxy govt.
….list goes on.

India is actively performing all these hostile acts as we speak, anyone reading daily newspaper can see evidence of that.

People like Leon who lives to propagate indo-Awami deception, finds the need to change of foreign policy for an irritant that could be resolve easily but not for biggest threat to Bangladesh and its existence – india.

I hope careful readers got the idea where and why Leon was brewing this diversionary thread.

Only significant dispute Bangladesh has with Myanmar is maritime border and it could be resolved more easily than what indias had been doing in and against Bangladesh.

I was waiting for this kind of response from you and I am not surprised at all.After all what better can I expect from people like Idune who likes calling people "Indian stooges" all the time.

I will reply to your each part separately,because you lack understanding.

Bangladesh only has problem with maritime border?Excuse me,go back and find the other problem-Rohingya refugee.
The reason for opening up this thread is the mobilisation of Burmese troops along the Bangladesh-Myanmar border.The Burmese have taken initiative to improve infrastructure,reinforce their existing force and building a new air base.And all these near Bangladesh border.This surely implies that there is something going on with the Burmese.

After last naval stand off,the Burmese did not come to any conclusions,instead their state channel reported that the Burmese withdrew because their survey was over.Clearly not accepting the fact that they were pushed off by BD navy.

Now are you dreaming these days?Did you see what happen to Ban-Ki Moon when he tried to have talks with the Generals?They are in no mood for dialog and when it will come to deciding maritime boundary with BD,it will be same.
Yet how do you plan to talk your way out Mr.Idune?

Go back and read what Burmese generals have to say about Bangladesh in the article posted in the first page.

But you will still not see the light,as you are too busy calling me "Indian stooge".You really are pathetic.:lol:

This overhyped and over exaggerated thread was opened to divert attention from relentless and blatant hostility by india towards Bnagladesh.
  • Occupying Bangladeshi island
  • Encroaching Bangladeshi water and land
  • Damming rivers and drying Bangladesh
  • Pushing drugs into Bangladesh
  • Destroying Bangladesh industries
  • Killing Bangladeshi citizens every other day
  • Destroying Bangladesh defense forces by subversion and using Awami proxy govt.
  • Repressing Bangladeshi citizens who raise voice against indian repression using Awami proxy govt.
….list goes on.

India is actively performing all these hostile acts as we speak, anyone reading daily newspaper can see evidence of that.

People like Leon who lives to propagate indo-Awami deception, finds the need to change of foreign policy for an irritant that could be resolve easily but not for biggest threat to Bangladesh and its existence – india.

I hope careful readers got the idea where and why Leon was brewing this diversionary thread.

I would like you to point out,where in the thread it is mentioned that we should divert all our attention from India to Myanmar.

Just don't blabber like a fool without going through the whole thread.
Oh,I almost forgot,you always do this,its nothing new.Jumping from nowhere and making some nonsense comments.

This thread is a reminder to all of Bangladeshis that we should also look out for an enemy that is rapidly increasing its arsenal and have a policy hostile to us.It does not say anything about forgetting the problems that India have and is and will be giving us.

Just go through the Bangladesh defence section and tell how many threads related to Myanmar are there.I know there are tons of threads related to India which discusses the above mentioned points,but how many threads are there for Myanmar related problems?

Do you think this forum is there for only threads bashing India and nothing else?If you do then you are in the wrong place.

I would really like to see how you want to solve the problems with Burma "easily".Please outline the easy procedure and enrich us with your knowledge.

I know what Idune does everytime I post my reply to his questions/allegations.He just don't reply to it.Simple,because he does not have an answer to it.

I hope readers here can judge who is right and who is wrong,and so I will leave it on you to decide.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom