What's new

Batsman Phillip Hughes Dies

Very sad news ; very sad development , totally unbelievable

Most people thought that that he will get well in a few weeks

Fractured cheekbone lucky escape from bouncer: Shehzad
Reuters
5476dfdc1b854.jpg

Ahmed Shehzad leaves the field with team physio after being hit by a short-pitched delivery from New Zealand's Corey Anderson on Nov 10. — AFP/File
KARACHI: Pakistan test opener Ahmed Shehzad knows he had a lucky escape when a short-pitched ball cracked his cheekbone earlier this month and says he “froze” when he heard the news of Australian batsman Phil Hughes' death on Thursday.

Hughes died in a Sydney hospital two days after being struck by a ball that led to a “catastrophic” injury which caused “massive” bleeding to his brain.

The news brought an outpouring of grief on social media, with past and present players conveying their shock and passing on tributes, while many expect his death to prompt a rethink of the safety standards in the game.

“I froze when I heard this tragic news and my heart went out to his family because I have been very fortunate to be on my feet again,” Shehzad said on Thursday.

Shehzad suffered a hairline fracture of his cheekbone after being hit by a short-pitched ball from New Zealand's Corey Anderson on Nov 10.

Shehzad had to undergo scans after complaining of pain and dizziness and was sent home to recover, missing the remainder of the test series.

“I know how it feels. That moment. The day Hughes was hit I knew what his family was going through. I prayed for his recovery,” Shehzad added.

“The New Zealand players were sympathetic after I was hit but I know this is part of cricket and one has to endure them.”

Pakistan's cricket community was shocked at Hughes' death, and former test pacer Sarfaraz Nawaz told Reuters that Sean Abbott, the player who accidentally hit Hughes, would also need to be looked after.

“I just hope that the bowler who bowled the short-pitched ball to Hughes is being given counselling because he would be distraught at this moment,” he said.

“The short-pitched ball is a legitimate ball but as a bowler you are also shaken when you are responsible for causing an injury to someone.”

Former wicketkeeper Rashid Latif said the International Cricket Council should order a review of the safety gear provided by manufacturers.

“It should be done now because while no one is to blame for what happened, the ICC and its member boards must make sure helmets available today are top quality and safe,” he added.

I'm a cricketer and I love cricketers all over the world. I can not express my feeling after hearing the news about Philip Hughes death. It seems I've lost one of my very close relative or friend.....

I'm a cricketer and I love cricketers all over the world. I can not express my feeling after hearing the news about Philip Hughes death. It seems I've lost one of my very close relative or friend.....
Exactly,, I have never followed Phillip Huges in his career, not know much about his game but listening to the accident, seeing it developing into this huge tragedy have left me speechless. It do feel as having lost someone very close, a friend, or at least a player that you have loved your entire lift and have followed. Such is the cricketing family.
This really is a tragic day. :(

Death on the field: A look at cricket tragedies
Agencies
Hughes' death has shocked the cricket world. — AFP
Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes died in a Sydney hospital on Thursday, two days after being struck by a ball that led to a injury which caused massive bleeding to his brain and ultimately proved fatal.

The international batsman was struck on the neck by a short-pitched delivery when batting in a domestic match on Tuesday, with the force of the blow piercing his veterbral artery, medical staff said at St Vincent's hospital.

He was treated and ventilated on the field by medical experts, including doctors who were flown by helicopter onto the Sydney Cricket Ground, before being taken to nearby St Vincent’s Hospital by ambulance.

Following is a factbox on cricketers and umpires who succumbed to on-field injuries after Australian batsman Phillip Hughes died in hospital on Thursday, two days after being struck on the head by a bouncer during a domestic match:

Phillip Hughes (Australia, 25) -- The Australia batsman was stuck on the neck by a short-pitched delivery while batting in a domestic match.

Hughes was treated by the boundary before being rushed to hospital, where he died after two days.

Darryn Randall (South Africa, 32) -- The wicketkeeper-batsman was stuck on the side of the head while attempting a pull shot during a domestic match in South Africa.

He collapsed at the crease and was rushed to a hospital but could not be revived.

Zulfiqar Bhatti (Pakistan, 22) -- The youngster was stuck on his chest and collapsed to the ground while batting during a club game in Sukkur, a district in Pakistan's Sindh province.

He was taken to the hospital but pronounced dead on arrival.

Richard Beaumont (England, 33) -- The fast bowler collapsed and died from a suspected heart attack shortly after taking five wickets in a club match.

Beaumont was airlifted to Birmingham's Queen Elizabeth but pronounced dead shortly after his arrival.

Wasim Raja (Pakistan, 54) -- The former Pakistan batsman, who was later an ICC match referee, died while playing for Surrey Over 50s at Marlow in Buckinghamshire.

He suffered a heart attack and collapsed on the field.

Alcwyn Jenkins (England, 72) -- The umpire was struck on the head by a throw from one of the fielders while officiating in a league match in Swansea.

He was airlifted to a hospital but failed to recover.

Ian Folley (England, 30) -- The left-arm spin bowler was hit under the eye trying to play a hook shot in a domestic match.

He later suffered a heart attack while under anaesthetic in hospital.

Raman Lamba (India, 38) -- The former India opener suffered brain injuries after being hit on the head while fielding at short-leg during a club match in Dhaka.

Wilf Slack (England, 34) -- The Middlesex and England left-handed opener suddenly collapsed and died while batting in Banjul, capital of The Gambia.

He had suffered four blackouts on the field in the past but tests failed to ascertain the cause of his death.

Abdul Aziz (Pakistan, 18) -- The wicketkeeper collapsed while batting after being hit in the chest in a domestic match in Karachi.

He was declared dead on arrival at the hospital.

Andy Ducat (England, 56) -- The batsman, who played one test for England, collapsed and died of a heart attack during a game at Lord's.

George Summers (England, 25) -- Summers died from a blow on the head while batting for Nottinghamshire against the MCC at Lord's.

He died a few days later due to the injury.

_79307586_getty_ponting.jpg

Former Australia captain Ricky Ponting (second from right) was one of those to visit Hughes in hospital
fe23e110-20ee-49ec-be21-b67d0556eab0-460x276.jpeg

The Australian batsman David Warner, a New South Wales team-mate of Phillip Hughes, and his wife Candice Falzon leave St Vincent’s hospital

Tragic news. A sad day for cricket fans.:(
RIP Phillip Joel Hughes
This is the most rare & unfortunate thing happened in this game. His injury resulted in vertebral artery dissection that led to a brain hemorrhage. There were only 100 cases of this condition ever reported, of which "only one other case reported as a result of a cricket ball".

Back
Top Bottom