Homo Sapiens

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh

Bangladesh welcomes home its first VT5 light tanks​

18th November 2022 - 00:51 GMT | by Gordon Arthur in Christchurch
RSS

Bangladesh is the first export customer for the VT5 light tank produced by Norinco. This screengrab shows one of the initial tanks at a live-fire event.

The Bangladesh Army continues to modernise with the arrival of light tanks, rocket artillery and man-portable rocket launchers from various sources.

The Bangladesh Army’s first Norinco-manufactured VT5 light tanks have arrived in the country, with five of them appearing in a live-fire event in Chattogram in mid-November.

The first batch of tanks arrived by ship in the first week of November. So far, they have not been seen fitted with a turret-mounted RWS.

Imagery of the new tanks was circulating in late 2021, but it has taken till now for the initial batch of tanks to reach Bangladeshi shores. COVID-19 was probably responsible for delays, though Bangladesh crews had been spotted training on their new tanks in China.
It is

Already have an account? Log in

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

VT5 is the downgraded export version.
Wiki says we even removed remote machine gun and active protection system!

Im afraid our version might not have battle/combat management system too. If true, why do we buy these potatoes?

Our entire military is corrupt and they buy potato weapons to steal money...

Last edited:
Missing RWS and active protection system.
Im afraid our version might not have battle/combat management system too. If true, why do we buy these potatoes?

BA should have bought a few Jeep’s, instead . What is the value of a tank with its teeth removed.

BA should have bought a few Jeep’s, instead . What is the value of a tank with its teeth removed.
It gives our corrupt generals opportunity to launder money overseas...

ZTQ 15 would have been better choice

Bro, our military decided to buy a downgraded export version and then downgrade it further. And you are talking about a better choice!

Does not add up with me: how does buying downgraded equipment help steal money? The more bells and whistles you add, more room/justification for spending more money.

The lack of RWS and APS could be due to a combination of lack of funds and Chinese unwillingness to share cutting edge tech.

I do not care much about tanks as in our terrain, they are a liability in terms of troop mobility. They bog down in mud very easily and troops end up getting stuck overseeing recovery operations rather than advance and fight the enemy.
Money for tanks should be redirected towards procuring APCs, combat support and attack helicopters.

Does not add up with me: how does buying downgraded equipment help steal money? The more bells and whistles you add, more room/justification for spending more money.

The lack of RWS and APS could be due to a combination of lack of funds and Chinese unwillingness to share cutting edge tech.

I do not care much about tanks as in our terrain, they are a liability in terms of troop mobility. They bog down in mud very easily and troops end up getting stuck overseeing recovery operations rather than advance and fight the enemy.
Money for tanks should be redirected towards procuring APCs, combat support and attack helicopters.
They're officially dead in Ukraine - use different types of drones instead

They're officially dead in Ukraine - use different types of drones instead
Well, drones tech is yet to advance enough to fully replace attack helicopters.
Drones cannot manuever as quickly as attack helicopters to turn around and hit the enemy again.
Drones cannot fly as low as attack helicopters either.
The poor manoeuvrability also does not allow the drone pilot to have as much discretion as the attack helicopter WSO to pick and choose targets.

Missing RWS and active protection system.

Exactly.

Chinese version is ZTQ-15 or Type 15. I don't think Type 15 is available for export. But Bangladesh is the first/only export customer. These tanks are based in Chittagong and will be based in Cantts. there (Ramu as well as Rangamati, Alikadam, Bandarban and Kaptai maybe) for mountain deployment. Heavy tanks are not suitable for deployment in hilly terrain.

Last edited:
Classic deshi tactic of fudging the vendor memo. Example, you buy something for 100 taka but ask the vendor to make a memo of 120 taka. Almost every vendor does this for business.

And our non transparency also help the corrupt people...
APS? Ok I can understand. But RWS? RWS doesn't have something super secret. Without these what is the point of buying that light tank? One RPG hit and tank and crews will die.
I like how french army uses their armor. Tanks aren't obsolete. Army have to research and adapt for new type of warfare every decade...

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom