What's new

Bangladesh tops Lonely Planet's 'Best-Value Destinations 2011'

Maira La

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
bangladesh-green.jpg

In what should act as a significant boost to the country’s tourism sector, Bangladesh has been ranked number-1 in Lonely Planet’s list of the Best-Value Destinations for 2011.

The list came out as part of the leading travel guidebook publisher’s Best in Travel 2011 publication, coming out this week, and draws on the “knowledge, passion and miles travelled” by Lonely Planet staff, authors, and 600,000-strong online community to present the best places to go and things to do around the world to its readers.
More details behind the rationale for the ranking are expected to emerge in the coming days, with a briefing on the best-value list. But judging from recent editions of the list, it should not be perceived as one containing only ‘cheap’ destinations. Rather, the list is based on travellers “getting their money’s worth.”
Last year’s list included destinations like Iceland, London, Malaysia and Las Vegas.
Previously, Bangladesh had been named as one of the 10 Interesting Destinations 2009, where it was described as “a revelation that actually leaves cousin India looking a bit worse for wear.”
Lonely Planet also brings out travel guidebooks on individual countries every few years. The last edition on Bangladesh came out in 2008 (the next one is due in November 2011), and describes it as a “can-do country of open-hearted people, tigers, tea plantations and the world’s longest beach.”
It also pays tribute to the country’s resilience in the face of natural disasters, and the introduction to Bangladesh on the Lonely Planet website brands it as a “trend-setting, breathtaking and hardworking” country that others can learn from.
Best in Travel 2011 includes seventeen ‘Top 10’ lists, covering standard topics like the best cities, best experiences, as well as quirky ones like ‘Top 10 Countries that didn’t exist twenty years ago.’
Almost every country that receives a positive treatment across any of the Lonely Planet platforms experiences a subsequent boost in tourism, and “Best-Value Destinations” is one of the most popular lists in the travel annual, closely followed by backpackers, students and other budget-travellers.
Owned by BBC Worldwide, Lonely Planet is the largest travel guidebook and digital media publisher in the world.
-UNB, Thu 04/11/2010

(Bangladesh tops Lonely Planet's 'Best-Value Destinations 2011' » Apparel Makers' Story in Bangladesh)

Repackaging Bangladesh

2010-11-28__ed01.jpg
An opportunity to showcase Bangladesh.

Lonely Planet, one of the world's leading travel guidebooks, owned by BBC worldwide, has ranked Bangladesh as the Best Value Destination in the world for 2011. It names nine other countries/cities to complete the list of top ten. Behind Bangladesh stand Nicaragua, Washington D.C., Paris, Philippines, Argentina, Naples, Ukraine and Syria.

Each of these destinations boasts of some unique cost saving feature. But the Lonely Planet says that an international visitor will be rewarded most and get the maximum "value for his money" if he visits Bangladesh.

Does all this sound gimmicky? Not so, if one sees what attractions Bangladesh offers. Lonely Planet says in unequivocal terms that in that country you can get marvelous meals for under $1. A midrange hotel room for 10 times less than what is available in a similar category elsewhere. "You will pay a little more to get around the Sundarbans National Park on a tiger spotting tour -- $150 or thereabouts -- but it is still peanuts, even compared to what you pay next door in India." Critics, however, point out that such a list only refers to "cheap destinations."

Lonely Planet says that this ranking is based on the feedback it has received from travelers "getting their money's worth." And they have, besides their staff and authors, a 600,000 strong online community to present to their readers the best places to go and things to do around the world. Next year (2011), we may, therefore, expect a large number of tourists to avail of the value for money deals in Bangladesh. It will give a boost to our touristic image.

To many of us this ranking sounds incredible. But Bangladesh seems to be slowly and imperceptibly becoming the "new kid in the block."

Some people say that something immense is happening in Bangladesh. Positive developments in many sectors are taking place in the country. They say, look at the surge of RMG export orders. See the line of local and foreign banks lining up our main streets in Dhaka and elsewhere. Check the large number of high-rises changing the skyline of our cities. Feel the jamming of our streets with mid-size and big cars.

Bangladesh is one of the few countries in the world that was not affected by the recent global recession. Today, Bangladesh boasts of shipbuilding capability and is looking forward to becoming a regional communication hub. Foreign remittances increased during the global downturn just as exports grew and imports bloated. Human development is also noteworthy.

Sceptics argue that because Bangladesh's economy had little exposure to the outside world, it was not affected by the slump. The country produces and exports basic RMG products, which come cheap. The countries affected by recession switched to Bangladesh as a source of supply as most of them could not afford high-end textiles and garments.

While acknowledging that there is some truth in what the sceptics say, the point is that Bangladesh has moved up the value chain too and has made healthy structural changes in production and marketing. But let it also be clear that individual entrepreneurs also took grave risks and created opportunities for themselves. Today, they are reaping some of the benefits that accompanied the risks. Their success can also be seen in other sectors like leather, pharmaceuticals and jute manufacturing. Agriculture is, of course, already a success in many ways.

The dilemma before all of us is that Bangladesh could have attained this level of success earlier if the country had not suffered from an image problem. Even with present successes, the entrepreneurs are not confident that they will not stumble again on this count.

The western media has largely been responsible for creating and hyping much of our negative image. We also had a certain category of leaders in the past who, for the sake of foreign aid, were reluctant to highlight any positive news lest it would lessen their chance of getting this aid. Thus, the country was in an image trap that restricted foreign investments, tourism and foreign talent.

However things are likely to change. One important reason is that certain prestigious international investment banks and credit rating agencies have, after evaluation of our economy, given Bangladesh enviable ratings. Thus, Standard and Poor, Moody's Investors, Goldman Sachs, J.P. Morgan and Price Waterhouse Coopers have given good citations. It seems that, at long last, Bangladesh is being noticed by the international community. In keeping with this changing image we need to change into new clothes.

So what do we do? At the outset, we must find ways to reduce our negative image. We must start doing things that are expected from a responsible and democratic country. Next, we must identify our national strengths and weaknesses. We must highlight our core national values and build up a branding profile. This will be the start of the repackaging of Bangladesh for the world.

We must find out what other countries Bangladesh is usually compared to, in the region and in the world at large, and what type of packaging these countries use in order to attract favourable attention. We should bring forth our core values, and associate Bangladesh with those values that investors like or respect. These value assets can make our country more attractive and compelling than our competitors. This will get Bangladesh differentiated and promoted.

Bangladesh has to be identified in the mind of visitors and investors through a cluster of images of the country, like:

- Sounds (our music);

- Colour (our flowers and dress);

- Words (our songs);

- Shapes;

- Smells (our cuisine)

-Other symbols (our values-- resilience, adaptability).

These will persuade a foreigner to come, stay and interact closely for investment or tourism. The clarity and strength of these chosen images of a country in a foreigner's mind will gradually overtake the negative images of Bangladesh that persist in him.

During 2011, Bangladesh will be hosting a great sports extravaganza, the Cricket World Cup. Our government has big plans to boost tourism on that occasion. Major multi-national companies are also likely to come next year to Bangladesh to see if they can invest, especially in textiles and RMG. They will come only if they get favourable reports about Bangladesh in 2010 from their peers and partners already operating in Bangladesh. Their report will prompt the newcomers to take positive decision.

Bangladesh has most of the economic fundamentals. Investors and tourists should normally flock to a country like ours. But they desist because, among other things, we have not been able to get rid of our bad image. Furthermore, we have not yet been able to create a new brand image. We must invent a new slogan for Bangladesh, just as Lonely Planet has given us one of its own.

Time is running out. The tourists are at our gates. The investors are packing their bags.

-- Ashfaqur Rahman is a former Ambassador and Chairman of the Centre for Foreign Affairs.

I came across that lonely planet site, while browsing through before travelling to Iran couple of years ago. That site gave one of the better ratings for Iran and one of the worst for Bangladesh. Its definitely the image that is changing fast specially the recession turned out to be a blessing for Bangaldesh. Hope trafic jam will go from Dhaka's street and human hauler like rickshaw be called banned which are two major things bother me before inviting somebody to Bangladesh. The 7 billion dollar airport will help a lot for sure.

I came across that lonely planet site, while browsing through before travelling to Iran couple of years ago. That site gave one of the better ratings for Iran and one of the worst for Bangladesh. Its definitely the image that is changing fast specially the recession turned out to be a blessing for Bangaldesh. Hope trafic jam will go from Dhaka's street and human hauler like rickshaw be called banned which are two major things bother me before inviting somebody to Bangladesh. The 7 billion dollar airport will help a lot for sure.

The news of appearing on Lonely Planet's list is good. There are many things that i enjoyed on my visits, most notably the food- especially the sweets (mishti). My wife enjoyed (still enjoys) the textiles.

I never knew that Bangladesh was a tourist destination...!
Still sounds weird.

Yes, Bangladesh can be a tourist destination even without a Tajmahal. Thing is, our economic and social activities including NGO activities are the reasons that we are at last being placed in our rightful place, i.e, the forefront of tourist destinations. The activities are gradually erading our negative image.

Many people in the West are not aware that we have the longest sea beach in the world, that we have the largest mangrove forest and that a motor boat ride through the Sundarbans can be an opportunity to watch Royal Bengal Tigers. If tigers are not spotted, then certainly their footprints can be observed. Our spotted dears, our crocodiles and our thousands of Dolphine population in the Bay of Bengal near Sundarbans can certainly attract western foreigners.

Our rather traditional lifestyle in the villages should also be a source of atttraction. We dispise our Rickshaws, but the westerners like to ride them. I have also seen many foreign tourists purchase our traditional LUNGI & GAMOCHA and wear them with pleasant smiles, although we are trying to discard them.

Even the paintings that are found at the back of the Rickshaws are also a source of attraction to them. I have seen them taking photographs of these paintings and praising our artistic traits, although, we ourselves feel shame with these cheap arts. Thing is, foreigners want to see those things that they cannot see in their own countries.

However, even with all these attractions that include our lush greeneries and miles of green paddy fields, somehow, BD has come to the forefront of the newspapers for odd reasons, that we are poor, that we have cyclones and that because of floods every year our people become destitute.

Now, after more than three decades of hard work, gradually we are reversing our image. Let the tourists come in winters. The varieties of flavourous homemade cakes, PITHA, made by DATE JUICE is good enough to attract tourists.

Eastwatch,date juice i think is not appropriate wording for gur.i may be wrong too.btw,i think khejurer ros of early mornings,is popular in bd villages also.its so cold and great!

Says best value destination that means value for money

Yes, Bangladesh can be a tourist destination even without a Tajmahal. Thing is, our economic and social activities including NGO activities are the reasons that we are at last being placed in our rightful place, i.e, the forefront of tourist destinations. The activities are gradually erading our negative image.

Many people in the West are not aware that we have the longest sea beach in the world, that we have the largest mangrove forest and that a motor boat ride through the Sundarbans can be an opportunity to watch Royal Bengal Tigers. If tigers are not spotted, then certainly their footprints can be observed. Our spotted dears, our crocodiles and our thousands of Dolphine population in the Bay of Bengal near Sundarbans can certainly attract western foreigners.

Our rather traditional lifestyle in the villages should also be a source of atttraction. We dispise our Rickshaws, but the westerners like to ride them. I have also seen many foreign tourists purchase our traditional LUNGI & GAMOCHA and wear them with pleasant smiles, although we are trying to discard them.

Even the paintings that are found at the back of the Rickshaws are also a source of attraction to them. I have seen them taking photographs of these paintings and praising our artistic traits, although, we ourselves feel shame with these cheap arts. Thing is, foreigners want to see those things that they cannot see in their own countries.

However, even with all these attractions that include our lush greeneries and miles of green paddy fields, somehow, BD has come to the forefront of the newspapers for odd reasons, that we are poor, that we have cyclones and that because of floods every year our people become destitute.

Now, after more than three decades of hard work, gradually we are reversing our image. Let the tourists come in winters. The varieties of flavourous homemade cakes, PITHA, made by DATE JUICE is good enough to attract tourists.

Just one thing from there; the Gur/Jaggery (Molasses) made from DATE JUICE. When people talk about the taste of Chocolates, i tell them about that Gur. :smitten:
Unfortunately can't get it whenever i'd like to. :cry:

Guess you'll all cry when you taste the divine taste of gurer jilapi(jalebi) .

Any ways some of my fellow bd members were saying rickshaws should be banned from dhaka but I would disagree with that because they exhibit a specific character(identity) about dhaka(orright maybe half of them can be banned). Its just that they all look flimsy because its still almost totally hand made.

There was a competition few months ago about future vehicles and I was fortunate enough to participate. here was my entry for future rickshaws made up of carbon fiber.

1024bound

Last edited:
Guess you'll all cry when you taste the divine taste of gurer jilapi(jalebi) .

Any ways some of my fellow bd members are saying rickshaws should be banned from dhaka but I would disagree with that because they exhibit a specific character(identity) about dhaka(orright maybe half of them can be banned). Its just that they all look flimsy because its still almost totally hand made.

There was a competition few months ago about future vehicles and I was fortunate enough to participate. here was my entry for future rickshaws made up of carbon fiber.

1024bound

i've tasted that too, great stuff.
About Cycle-Rickshaws, definitely they have a character of their own. And unique character is one attraction for tourists, like the jeepneys of Phillipines or the multi-coloured buses in Pakistan.
About the cycle-rickshaws, if the can be made more (human) energy efficient and comfortable; while retaining the look (which is unique) that might be a winner of sorts. i read some-place about university students in India who modified them with a battery powered motor; where the battery is recharged by pedal-power and a solar panel on the canopy over the passengers. If i'm not mistaken, they are being operated in the Delhi University North campus.

BTW, your design looks very good, albeit a little futuristic. :tup:

Rickshaws is good and environment friendly, but the problem is, show vehicles and speedy vehicles can't run along in the same road without causing any traffic jam. The example is the difference between the Airport road and any road in Dhanmondi area. And a traffic jam less Dhaka can be a interesting city where people are friendly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom