What's new

Bangladesh to build new international airport

TopCat

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Dhaka, Apr 12 (PTI) Bangladesh today approved a plan to build a new international airport near the capital at a cost of Taka 50,000 crore (USD 7.2 billion) in next 10 years to cope with the growing air traffic, official said here today. "The plan has been finalised to build the Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib International Airport with the approval of the Prime Minister (Sheikh Hasina) today," civil aviation secretary Shafique Alam Mehdi said.

They said the decision to build a news airport was taken as the existing Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport could not be expanded due to lack of land. The pre-feasibility study has already been carried out to construct the country''s fourth international airport to be named after Bangladesh''s founder and incumbent Premier''s father Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, he said.

Mehdi said the airport would be built on 6,000 acres of land at northern Trishal sub-district, 60 miles off the capital and it would have two runways and options or space for a third one. "The project will be carried out in two phases, the first phase to be completed by 2014 and the second one by 2020," said the top bureaucrat of the civil aviation ministry.

Civil aviation officials said the proposed airport would be equal to the size of Bangkok''s Suvarnabhumi airport which has a capacity to serve 45 million passengers a year, 76 flights an hour and three million tonnes of cargo annually. PTI AR.

Bangladesh to build new international airport - Yahoo! India News

It will take a lot of time,I also heard they are planning for an elevated expressway linking the airport with the Capital.So the whole project would take 2020 or more.

good going BD
:victory:

dude development take time no country in world become developed easily ................. so keep it up... we can make whole south asia like heaven

Immediately after coming to power, the new aviation minister G.M Qader declared that BD needed a new international airport. But, then there were no more any words about this until this news was published. It is good that this minister can think ahead of time. A new airport is needed because the present international airport cannot handle the expected heavy traffic of the future unless its present runways are extended and a new runway is added.

New extension works are not possible mostly because of encroachment by the local people and building residential housings on the airport land in the periphery. It will become a political issue if a govt tries to expel the occupiers and there will be hundreds of legal battle.

This will delay any such extension program. So, a new airport is more feasible. However, connection only with an expressway will not be enough. The govt must build a monorail or a subway to connect with Dhaka. A job half done is worse than not done. I think, without a a cheap mode of transportation, the job will be half done.

Last edited:
One question?
Why took bangledesh indepence from pakistan?
also why was there indo-**** war?
and is bangledesh population pakistanis? hindusm?

Oh how **** a flame word? wtf

WHAT THE **** WHY IS P A K I A FLAME WORD

In long long run another airport is needed outside of Dhaka but current airport still has capacity to handle traffic for some years to come. In fact current airport has land and was designed to have dual runway. And govt owns the land that was preserved for 2nd runway, not private owners.

But problem is father-in-law of Hasina's daughter has made corrupt deal with a Singaporean company to sell out around 500 bigha of airport land at a throw away price and pocket the money. Digital corruption of Awami regime at its best.

One question?

:rofl::rofl:

:lol:

you will be banned soon.

Mod is busy watching 20/20 for now, so can't keep an eye on you.

Last edited:
:rofl::rofl:

:lol:

you will be banned soon.

Mod is busy watching 20/20 for now, so can't keep an eye on you.

Why?
I type p ak i which means a pakistani person in pakistan(i thought) but it says its a flame word.
maybe my gramatica fails.
what does p a k i means?

Why?
I type p ak i which means a pakistani person in pakistan(i thought) but it says its a flame word.
maybe my gramatica fails.
what does p a k i means?

Its not that hard to use Pakistani and thats the correct way to address
Beyond that this is not the right thread for this type of question you are asking?
Please take your question to following thread

Suggestions & Discussions - Pakistan Defence Forum

One question?

take your load to appropriate thread...

an airport costs $7.2 Billion....my god...

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom