What's new

Bangladesh offers to train Lebanese Navy

BDforever

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Bangladesh Navy offered Lebanese navy thorough training in naval aspects on maritime strategy and warfare as Lebanon strives to upgrade its capability. Bangladesh's Assistant Chief of Naval Staff (operations) Rear Admiral AMMM Aurangzeb Chowdhury met Lebanese Armed Forces Chief of Staff Maj Gen Walid Salman in Beirut and made the offer.

Lebanese navy said it is keen on sending its personnel for training and sought for detailed curriculum. Aurangzeb is now in Beirut to send back two Bangladeshi naval ships--BNS Osman and BNS Madhumati, which are on UN duty--home. They will be replaced by two more ships- BNS Ali Haider and BNS Nirmul. These two ships have completed four years of continuous duty as part of the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (Unifil). Unifil launched its lone maritime taskforce in Lebanon after the Israeli invasion of Lebanon in 2006. Israel had demanded that the sea route for weapon smuggling into Lebanon be stopped as a prerequisite to its withdrawal.

Bangladesh joined this taskforce in 2010 with 320 sailors and officers. Other countries participating in the taskforce are Germany, Brazil, Greece, Indonesia and Turkey. Lebanese Armed Forces Chief of Staff Salman yesterday gratefully recalled the role of Bangladesh navy in securing his country's maritime boundary. “We want Bangladesh to continue the maritime interdiction operation,” he said. “Because of them no ships carrying weapons could illegally enter Lebanon. This played a big role in maintaining peace.” Commanding officer of BNS Osman Capt Abul Kalam Azad was also present during the meeting.

10371677_786905681350416_4629622150054231783_n.jpg

Well Lebanese army officer have been trained in our academies, so it's normal for their naval staff to come here too. We need to send some of our own army officers to Lebanon and learn how they operate, learn from Hezbollah how the dealt with Israeli forces etc.

PN has good experience as well. BN should colaborate with PN in training and exercise and also go for S-20s with local production too.

As PN is going for 6++ S-20s that might be 12 in two batches BN should also look towards better submersible force than surface one like U-boats.
Sorry to say this, but under the current govt we cannot make independent decisions in defense and foreign affairs. Otherwise it would be in our best interest to cooperate with China and Pakistan in defense and international relations. A JV with these two countries,Turkey and Indonesia would be most beneficial for us.

Well Lebanese army officer have been trained in our academies, so it's normal for their naval staff to come here too. We need to send some of our own army officers to Lebanon and learn how they operate, learn from Hezbollah how the dealt with Israeli forces etc.
You have got to be kidding!

You have got to be kidding!

I am not talking about, working with Hez, but they and other militias are essentially part of the Lebanon security forces wether anyone like it or not. Anyone who works there have very little choice but to interact with them, and as far as I know BD does not consider Hez a terrorist org as yet.

How BD is seeing Iraq crisis ? Can we see BD forces participating in it to stop ISIS ?

Bad idea, it's not in our direct interest to get involved, and there is no way we can afford to pay for a campaign like this on our own. It's most likely the Iraq is going to divided into 3 pieces, Kurdish, Sunni and Shia and unless there is a full UN request we can't get involved.

I am not talking about, working with Hez, but they and other militias are essentially part of the Lebanon security forces wether anyone like it or not. Anyone who works there have very little choice but to interact with them, and as far as I know BD does not consider Hez a terrorist org as yet.

Hezbollah's strategy will not be applicable for Bangladeshi, external factors will also play a bigger factor.

I think we also used to train PLO/Palestinian Armies, during the 80's.

How BD is seeing Iraq crisis ? Can we see BD forces participating in it to stop ISIS ?
No, i believe BD Armed Forces will not impose as an occupation force in a brotherly country. If we wanted to we could've done that in Afghanistan when we were offered to play the role of coalition forces by the US

Back
Top Bottom