What's new

Bangladesh Navy

DEW won the tender for two Westernised LPC-ASuW (light corvettes). They are to be armed with 8 x Italian, Turkish or South Korean anti-ship missiles. They will posses the most advanced sensors and weaponry in their class.

To date they will be the most advanced warships built at a BN shipyard and of course more superior to any LPCs operated by neighbouring country's naval forces.

According to Defseca this was the picture used in the official presentation at DEW for BN LPC-ASuW (Large Patrol Craft-Anti Surface Warfare).

Western sensors, armaments and propulsion machinery.

https://www.meretmarine.com/fr/content/cmn-devoile-une-nouvelle-version-de-la-combattante-br71

https://defense3.com/2015/03/05/νέα-έκδοση-των-combattante-br71/

20150301231728_A01-001-0-Ext2_BD_Mer.jpg

20150302002348_comb6.jpg

20150301231738_A01-001-0-Ext4_BD_Mer.jpg

Last edited:
According to Defseca this was the picture used in the official presentation at DEW for BN LPC-ASuW (Large Patrol Craft-Anti Surface Warfare).

Western sensors, armaments and propulsion machinery.

https://www.meretmarine.com/fr/content/cmn-devoile-une-nouvelle-version-de-la-combattante-br71

https://defense3.com/2015/03/05/νέα-έκδοση-των-combattante-br71/

20150301231728_A01-001-0-Ext2_BD_Mer.jpg

20150302002348_comb6.jpg

20150301231738_A01-001-0-Ext4_BD_Mer.jpg

That is a Baynunah class (Abu Dhabi) corvette on steroids (Baynunah II?) built by CMN Naval yards in Cherbourg France.

CMN is a pretty advanced manufacturer of smaller displacement Naval vessels. The Baynunah Class displaces around 900 tonnes, and uses 3 water-jets powered by four marine turbo-diesels (Baynunah II shown above has four water-jets and more efficient engines and obviously has a more stealthy mast and superstructure).

To show how advanced CMN's offerings go, here is a video of a Trimaran LPC (with Helipad) they offered in 2015, trimarans are specialized for wave-piercing capability and are super-efficient at propulsion, even powered by normal screw-props. Sorry about the segway, but goes to show the great advances made in Naval design. This example was designed by famous trimaran yacht designer Nigel Iren. It's a medium sized LPC which IS operating in sea-state 5.

That is a Baynunah class (Abu Dhabi) corvette on steroids (Baynunah II?) built by CMN Naval yards in Cherbourg France.

CMN is a pretty advanced manufacturer of smaller displacement Naval vessels. The Baynunah Class displaces around 900 tonnes, and uses 3 water-jets powered by four marine turbo-diesels (Baynunah II shown above has four water-jets and more efficient engines and obviously has a more stealthy mast and superstructure).

To show how advanced CMN's offerings go, here is a video of a Trimaran LPC (with Helipad) they offered in 2015, trimarans are specialized for wave-piercing capability and are super-efficient at propulsion, even powered by normal screw-props. Sorry about the segway, but goes to show the great advances made in Naval design. This example was designed by famous trimaran yacht designer Nigel Iren. It's a medium sized LPC which IS operating in sea-state 5.
It is similar to Baynunah but it looks like it lacks VLS for ESSM.

It is similar to Baynunah but it looks like it lacks VLS for ESSM.

You may be mistaking this for the 6 local-build frigates we are planning.

These are actually newer (future) LPC designs to replace the older (still rather new) Chinese LPCs we have already built locally at KSY. The future LPC's will be built at DEW, a different shipyard. Both KSY and DEW are owned by our Navy.

LPC's built at KSY were like this (they don't sport VLSs at this size),

1482857368_p-10.jpg

@Bilal9
I am saying that the pictures Arthur showed are similar to Baynunah but lack the VLS on them.

CMN_combattante_br71_Baynunah_class_corvette_UAE_Navy_02.jpg

Oh sorry - my bad then. Misunderstood.

I am a bit surprised that the Bangladeshi yard are showing a revised Baynunah class as a proposed LPC which is quite a bit larger than Bangladesh' existing ASuW LPC's - which currently displace only around 648 tons.

And although smaller than our C13B corvettes (1300 tons), Baynunah's at 900 tons are on the smaller size range for corvettes but still classed as corvettes. albeit WITH VLS. Don't see many corvettes with VLS in SE Asia.

Last edited:
BD navy should operate anti-ship UAVs for patrolling the Bay of Bengal against Burmese, and Indian ships and in the case of conflict launch anti-ship missiles. With 20 hour endurance, and speeds of 720 kilometer per hour it should be able to avoid intercepts espescially with a low RCS.

DrIvVlhX0AAFngc.jpg

150 km range C-705KD guided by IIR or TV.
th

BD navy should operate anti-ship UAVs for patrolling the Bay of Bengal against Burmese, and Indian ships and in the case of conflict launch anti-ship missiles. With 20 hour endurance, and speeds of 720 kilometer per hour it should be able to avoid intercepts espescially with a low RCS.

DrIvVlhX0AAFngc.jpg

th

I like the idea of having a dedicated drone squadron for Maritime patrol and strike role. But the question is how would they be comparable with a fighter jet in terms of operational range?

I like the idea of having a dedicated drone squadron for Maritime patrol and strike role. But the question is how would they be comparable with a fighter jet in terms of operational range?
20 hours endurance at 720 kilometers per hour I assume, I think they can probably have 3-4 thousand km range. HALE UAVs have way better range than most fighters and in this case can carry anti radiation missiles with 100km range, and LACM/ASCM with 150km range.

China%2BCM-102%2Bair%2Bto%2Bsurface%2BARM%2Banti%2Bradiation%2Bmissile%2BZhuHai%2BAir%2BShow%2C%2Brange%2B100km%2B7m%2Bfc-1%2BJF-17%2Bthunder%2Bpakistan%2Bj-10abcds%2Bjh-10%2Bfighter%2Bjet%2B(1).jpg

DrIvVlhX0AAFngc.jpg

th
UAV most probably will not have strike role at the sea. As the sistance increase between control and the platform, it is more susceptible to hacking, radio control by enemy stations

Bangladesh govt is to make a new shipyard with Netherlands and damen shipyards
With price estimate around a billion dollars
Could this mean that frigate project will go to the damen shipyard too? We will know this year

Bangladesh govt is to make a new shipyard with Netherlands and damen shipyards
With price estimate around a billion dollars
Could this mean that frigate project will go to the damen shipyard too? We will know this year

I think not. That one is a commercial venture if it goes through.

I think the military deals will stay with the local shipyards under BN ownership like CDDL, and hopefully it stays that way.

I think not. That one is a commercial venture if it goes through.

I think the military deals will stay with the local shipyards under BN ownership like CDDL, and hopefully it stays that way.
That’s for sure but I wonder if commercial venture will also mean damen providing design basis for next gen frigate. Or is it going to be Chinese

Back
Top Bottom