What's new

Bangladesh expects $7-9 billion investment by Indian power companies

How about Indian companies doing something to increase investment in power in their own motherland, India too? There's an acute shortage of power in most states! Tamil Nadu I think is the worst off with a daily four hours of power cut for domestic users and an additional 24 hours cut for industry every week! Exports have hit rock bottom and many industries have been forced to shut down.

This really sucks big time! But then it's all about foreign exchange and the big bucks for Indian corporates. The country, its industry, and our citizens be damned! Our energy policy lacks focus and direction, and is a complete disaster!

Did you know that 30% of the electricity generated is stolen due to illegal connections and also rampant misuse by farmers who are given the juice for free? Anyone doing anything about it? Nope! It's a free for all and all for free thanks to our total lack of governance, an ineffective law enforcing regime and corruption running riot! :sick:

An emerging Super Power? :what: Oh, never mind.....Carry on....

I felt the same way, but on inquiry I found out that the fact is the rural sector don't get continuous free power, but one thing is for sure because of these subsidies and power theft ( which incidentally is allowed by the power company employees to make money for themselves and the bloody politicians not doing anything about it cos of votes) the power corporations are very bad pay masters which is directly discouraging private players from entering into power generation, the private players have good projects like solar, wind, waste management, hydro and are ready to invest but the payment schedules from the government owned power corporations is really pathetic and discouraging.

nice!!!:enjoy:
good work by NTPC.
It will help ease relations with Bangladesh and enable NTPC to expand it's operation...

So how many of those promised power plants are up and running ? We have been hearing about it for the last 3 years.

Were the deals signed ? Did the BD govt float any JV ? Where is the initiative from the BD govt ? It's not about funds but ironing out the specifics of the deal.

How about Indian companies doing something to increase investment in power in their own motherland, India too? There's an acute shortage of power in most states! Tamil Nadu I think is the worst off with a daily four hours of power cut for domestic users and an additional 24 hours cut for industry every week! Exports have hit rock bottom and many industries have been forced to shut down.

This really sucks big time! But then it's all about foreign exchange and the big bucks for Indian corporates. The country, its industry, and our citizens be damned! Our energy policy lacks focus and direction, and is a complete disaster!

Did you know that 30% of the electricity generated is stolen due to illegal connections and also rampant misuse by farmers who are given the juice for free? Anyone doing anything about it? Nope! It's a free for all and all for free thanks to our total lack of governance, an ineffective law enforcing regime and corruption running riot! :sick:

An emerging Super Power? :what: Oh, never mind.....Carry on....

I can relate to your frustration coz it's the same situation here - stealing and misuse of powers through illegal connections due to the lack of effective governace and mass corruption; but I thought India don't have any power shortage, this was just a case here in Bangladesh!

And yes the corporations are after the forex however the investment would be good for Bangladesh if the unit price is reasonable and not only that Bangladesh seriously needs to improve the distribution and transmission line to stop stealing of powers; and ofcourse improve the law enforcement!

Germany has focused on developing renewable energy sources and technologies. Even in Europe, German power companies are using state of the art technology to measure power transmission and distribution that are way advanced than any other power companies.
My point is, we all should also focus on that as well with the available resources. I am sure someone somewhere will come up with a technological breakthrough soon or later.... just need appropriate sponsor from corporations and policy makers if you know what I mean!

I have been watching like many other expectant citizens of Bangladesh that the govt will deliver something of what it promises or what it wants us to expect from it. So far, it is no more than a big zero. I can remember so many hundreds of promises for this and that I cannot or do no more want to recall.

Now, for the last few weeks, this shameless govt has again been in speaking contest. They are talking this and that each and every morning in a way as if talking only will give the country the said projects. Today, it is Qatar, tomorrow it is malaysia, day after tomorrow it is India. AL propaganda machine seems always busy with one task, to propagate among the voters that all the countries of the world have chosen only one road, that is, the road to Bangladesh. How long this inept govt wants to fool the population?

Germany has focused on developing technologies renewable energy. they are very advanced in all areas of science & technology! Even in Europe, German power companies are using state of the art technology to measure power transmission and distribution that are just amazing than any other power companies.
My point is, we all should also focus on that as well with the available resources. I am sure someone somewhere will come up with a technological breakthrough soon or later.... just need appropriate sponsor from corporations and policy makers if you know what !

Bro you are talking about smart grid and smart metering system. This is far fetch in terms of bangladesh or even south asia. In terms of transmission line now many countries are installing HVDC to reduce loss but we are still lagged behind much in this regard also.

But I have heard that in Dhaka in big millis on line metering system has been introduced to reduce theft of electricity which will transmit the used electricity instantly. But still we are long way to go to reduce theft of electricity.

I have been watching like many other expectant citizens of Bangladesh that the govt will deliver something of what it promises or what it wants us to expect from it. So far, it is no more than a big zero. I can remember so many hundreds of promises for this and that I cannot or do no more want to recall.

Now, for the last few weeks, this shameless govt has again been in speaking contest. They are talking this and that each and every morning in a way as if talking only will give the country the said projects. Today, it is Qatar, tomorrow it is malaysia, day after tomorrow it is India. AL propaganda machine seems always busy with one task, to propagate among the voters that all the countries of the world have chosen only one road, that is, the road to Bangladesh. How long this inept govt wants to fool the population?

I agree. AL government allowed to install quick rental power stations. most of them are not in production due to high oil prices. and shamelessly AL government passed the indemnity bill to protect the corruption! sick f*****g joke!!!

Bro you are talking about smart grid and smart metering system. This is far fetch in terms of bangladesh or even south asia. In terms of transmission line now many countries are installing HVDC to reduce loss but we are still lagged behind much in this regard also.

But I have heard that in Dhaka in big millis on line metering system has been introduced to reduce theft of electricity which will transmit the used electricity instantly. But still we are long way to go to reduce theft of electricity.

yes the meter reading transmits through SIM cards automatically and the meter even shows how much have been spent, if the bill were paid etc. I can imagine that's a distant possibility for a third world country but without improving the distribution lines, we can't expect to stop/minimise the stealing which is one of main reasons for power shortage.

We at first needs to be sure that what will be the per unit selling price from the projects that will be invested by India. Anything above 7-8 Taka per kwh should be termed as robbery. Though investment is good but it should not be a project like white elephant which will only bleed more then doing anything good like the rental power plant projects.

---------- Post added at 01:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 AM ----------

But 30 billion usd :O. To generate how much electricity?

I pay Rs 5.50 per kwh here in the central part of India..
How much is 1 INR worth in takas??
So that I can calculate and see if I am getting robbed or not..!! :blink: :blink:

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom