What's new

Bangladesh Economy: News & Updates

Building a metropolitan railway system is an ongoing process. It will continue for at least 50 years. Important thing is how to plan a system that combines all the methods of rail way transportation. A circular loop line shall be around Dhaka, but it may not necessarily be completely skirting the city. Route can be decided on availability of land.

We have to understand that Dhaka is not something static. Today, where it is not a busy locality, tomorrow there will be thousands of houses and lakhs of people. A loop line will help Dhaka expand outwards.
Today, I came across a piece of news that says the govt is planning to build 4 new satellite towns around Dhaka. So, my suggestion is to take the loop circular railway more or less around the present Dhaka so that these new towns are built on the other side of the railway.

Even 20 years ago nobody thought of a moderately developed BD, which is a reality now. When the population are striving and working hard to make BD a middle class economy, its leaders are not showing their talents in planning and developing the transport sector.

I think, a comprehensive planning is needed. It is not that only one line, subway or surface, will solve all the problems. There must be lines inside the City that connect some of the diagonally opposite stations of the proposed loop line. There must also be other shuttle railway lines that can reach, say, Keraniganj, Munshiganj, Mawa, Dohar, Savar/Aricha, Tongi/Tangail etc. Someday, it will also be necessary to connect all these places with each other by building shuttle train lines.

All these cannot be built by the govt. At least a 50-year comprehensive planning is required to develop the railway. Govt must, therefore, allow private railway companies to build and operate these lines. Please click the link below and read about the proposed new towns.

Govt to develop 4 satellite towns around Dhaka :: Bangladesh :: bdnews24.com ::

When dada leaning commie, RAWAMY-INDO-ZION dalaler bacsahas were hiding all the facts, goodies of BNP led GOB's economic success and screaming, lying against it phantom thieveries; hardly anyone understood the similarities of such lie, deception with Saddam/Bathist's so-called corruption. Like none of the promised milk and honey was delivered to IRAQ, Afghan; Shallow dream of 10% economic growth turned out to be a nightmare of the reduction from 6.8 to 5%. Continuation of such trend would halt all the seeds of hard work that BD's entrepreneur and patriotic right wingers sowed in last two decades. No one can laugh and be happier to see us in such direstraight than Malu-Indians, their Zionist new-world's promoters, because poor Muslim's emotion, hunger and desperation are capitals for their fun. BD land didn’t inherit anything from dadas but it was Non-Bengalis that built its industry and infrastructures. unfortunately our nationalistic egos led us to the same spot from where we started in 1947 for those traitorous Malu-loving commie, Rawamy Dalals after PAK’s break up in 1971. It took good 20+ years to build a foundation from there but we were heading back to 47’s position for those traitors. Question is how many times we can afford to start from the beginning?

BTW, the following link would show how digital deception of AWAMY stooges are panning out,

http://www.bangladesh-bank.org/selectedecooind/magecoind.pdf

And as always Mahmudur Rahman puts it more descriptive way for us to read,

::Welcome to Daily Naya Diganta::

Last edited:
You do understand that 5% growth at this time of global ecnomic meltdown is not bad at all.......it is quite good........shame on you who suspect the capability of your own country and want to return to dark days of pre1971........your logic is always like-nachte na parle uthon baka!........i will not dictate you my brother ,but will to the least advice you to keep faith in your countrymen and your country.........

You do understand that 5% growth at this time of global ecnomic meltdown is not bad at all.......it is quite good........shame on you who suspect the capability of your own country and want to return to dark days of pre1971........your logic is always like-nachte na parle uthon baka!........i will not dictate you my brother ,but will to the least advice you to keep faith in your countrymen and your country.........
Last fiscal year, the economic growth was 5.9% and the govt is expecting a 5.5% growth this year. Even if there is financial melting throughout the world, BD economy could have developed much faster on domestic demand alone if the previous govt cronies did not steal money allocated for the construction of power plants.

Today, about Tk.41,000 Crore is sleeping idle in the Banks, because there are no borrowers. Usually borrowers are either traders or industrialists. The latter group is not coming forward only because even if they build factories, they cannot operate these because there is shortage of electricity.

Govt is trying its best to develop the power sector. But, it takes a long time to build any factory, specially in BD where even the nuts and bolts are to be imported. If and when power is available in sufficient quantity, industrialists will build manufacturing plants and the next phase of BD economic expansion will start.

If only power is there, I can foresee an yearly 10% economic growth after, say, 10 years from now. Today BD has to be content with only 5.5% growth only because we are reaping what we have sown during the BNP's 5 years of misrule. BNP cronies just stole money from the State coffer allocated for power generation. The two GREAT SONS of Begum Zia are mainly responsible for this. They need billions of dollars to take to their graves.

It may also be that these people wanted us to be an economic colony of India. There remains negative-minded people in BD who would rather prefer an underdeveloped BD economically dominated by India only to prove their point that BD was better before 1971. Do not expect these people to forfeit their dreams, but their dreams will never come true.

Last edited:
The Daily Star - Details News

PADMA BRIDGE LOOKS TO MARKET FOR Tk 4,200cr
Sarwar A Chowdhury

The government plans to raise Tk 4,200 crore from capital market for the construction of the country's largest civil engineering project --Padma Multipurpose Bridge.

The amount, which will meet the fund deficit to construct the bridge, may be raised through issuance of equity shares and securitised, convertible, zero coupon and amortised bonds.

A proposal for raising the fund is awaiting approval of the cabinet committee on economic affairs, finance ministry officials said.

Investment Corporation of Bangladesh (ICB) has prepared the proposal and submitted it to the finance ministry last month.

“We have submitted the proposal to the finance ministry in mid-September,” said Iftikhar-uz Zaman, general manager of ICB.

Although the proposal was scheduled to be placed in the last meeting of the cabinet committee for its approval, it will be placed in the next meeting as the commerce minister was absent in the previous meeting, the officials said.

The 6.01-km-long bridge between Mawa and Jajira over the Padma river will cost around Tk 17,000 crore, of which financing of around Tk 12,800 crore has been ensured from different sources, including Asian Development Bank, World Bank, Islamic Development Bank, Japan International Cooperation Agency and Abu Dhabi Fund.

The bridge will connect the southwestern region directly with the capital and other parts of the country.

The ICB in its proposal has recommended three alternatives for raising the fund from the public.

According to the first alternative, the fund can be raised through issuing bonds and equity shares. The debt-equity ratio will be 70:30, meaning bonds worth Tk 3,000 crore will be issued, while Tk 1,200 crore will be raised through equity shares.

In the equity portion, the government and public ratio will be 51:49, which means the government will buy shares worth Tk 612 crore, while Tk 588 crore will be raised from general public.

In the second option, the ICB said, the fund may be raised through issuance of securitised bonds at an eight percent annual interest rate in four phases.

The ICB suggested issuance of Tk 1,500 crore securitised bonds in the first phase or in fiscal year 2009-10, Tk 1,000 crore bonds in second phase or in 2010-11, Tk 1,000 crore bonds in third phase or in 2011-12 and Tk 700 crore in the last phase or in 2012-13.

Here the grace period of the bond will be five years and the total time will be 25 years including moratorium period.

Securitisation is a structured finance process, in which assets, receivables or financial instruments are acquired, classified into pools, and offered as collateral for third-party investment. It involves the selling of financial instruments, which are backed by the cash flow or value of the underlying assets.

The ICB in the third alternative recommended that the fund can be raised through issuing convertible, zero coupon and amortised bonds during FY2009-10 to FY2013-14.

Convertible bonds worth Tk 500 crore may be issued in FY2009-10. The bonds can be converted into shares after two or three years.

Another Tk 200 crore may be raised by issuing convertible bonds on toll collected by Bangabandhu Multipurpose Bridge Authority (BMBA) in the same year.

In the second fiscal year, the ICB proposed issuing convertible zero coupon bonds worth Tk 1,000 crore, of which 50 percent will be converted into shares and the rest 50 percent will be interest bearing.

In the third and the fourth fiscal year, each Tk 1,000 crore may be raised through issuing amortised bonds.

Amortisation is the gradual repayment of a debt over a period of time, such as monthly payments on a mortgage loan or credit card balance.

In the fifth year, the BMBA will issue convertible bonds worth Tk 500 crore.

The ICB said the proposed bonds may be considered as “approved securities” to encourage banks and financial institutions to invest in such securities for statutory liquidity reserve benefits.

The proposed bonds or shares may be traded in both Dhaka and Chittagong stock exchanges.

Those who will invest in the bonds should enjoy tax benefits, but not less than the benefits to be enjoyed by the investment in zero coupon bonds.

The tax benefit to zero coupon bonds, which was given previously, should be provided, the ICB said.

Considering the social benefits of the project, the government may consider relaxation of VAT fully or partially from income of the Padma bridge.

Bangladesh Bridge Authority will need to appoint or form a company, trustee, issue manager, assets management company and law firm to perform their respective duties and responsibilities.

Even if there is financial melting throughout the world, BD economy could have developed much faster on domestic demand alone if the previous govt cronies did not steal money allocated for the construction of power plants.

You and your awami buddies can not hide behind past for awami failure. People expect result of "digital Bangladesh" NOT a "digital lie".

You forgot to mention the fact last elected govt even with all awami alleged corruption achieved highest ever GDP growth in Bangladesh, 6.9% - 7%. So far Awami govt delivered "digital lies" and working for indian wish list.

You and your awami buddies can not hide behind past for awami failure. People expect result of "digital Bangladesh" NOT a "digital lie".

You forgot to mention the fact last elected govt even with all awami alleged corruption achieved highest ever GDP growth in Bangladesh, 6.9% - 7%. So far Awami govt delivered "digital lies" and working for indian wish list.

Why do you always hide behind your catch phrases like AWAMY and DIGITAL LIES in all of your posts? Do not you have a minimum knowledge that the factories cannot be run on talk only? Next time come with proper reasonong if you have any. Otherwise, stop your ignorant rantings. Before you write your ignorance again, study on the national development process of any developing country.

Why a company will build a new factory when the power is not there to run the machines? Power output is less than 4000mw at present. Can the factory machines produce anything when electricity is in short supply? What answer do you have? But, do not again come with your RAWAMY and stooge phrases. I am fed up with your unintellectual rantings.

You should know that even the Pakistani output is 23,000 mw. If you are so sure that factory machines can be run by talking only or by the KHAMBAs erected by KOKKO, then sell that idea to the BD govt, or get a Ph.D out of it. But, do not sell that here.

When the base of power output is enlarged, only then the new phase of industrial development will start. At least another three years are needed to reach that point. Govt is planning to increase the output by another 2100 MW by that time. A total of 7000 mw of additional output is planned in the next five years.

I just hope the present govt will not follow the BNP style of stealing money allocated for power development from the State coffer. See the news report below about the new power plants.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=107764

Last edited:
Why do you always hide behind your catch phrases like AWAMY and DIGITAL LIES in all of your posts? Do not you have a minimum knowledge that the factories cannot be run on talk only? Next time come with proper reasonong if you have any. Otherwise, stop your ignorant rantings. Before you write your ignorance again, study on the national development process of any developing country.

Why a company will build a new factory when the power is not there to run the machines? Power output is less than 4000mw at present. Can the factory machines produce anything when electricity is in short supply? What answer do you have? But, do not again come with your RAWAMY and stooge phrases. I am fed up with your unintellectual rantings.

You should know that even the Pakistani output is 23,000 mw. If you are so sure that factory machines can be run by talking only or by the KHAMBAs erected by KOKKO, then sell that idea to the BD govt, or get a Ph.D out of it. But, do not sell that here.

When the base of power output is enlarged, only then the new phase of industrial development will start. At least another three years are needed to reach that point. Govt is planning to increase the output by another 2100 MW by that time. A total of 7000 mw of additional output is planned in the next five years.

I just hope the present govt will not follow the BNP style of stealing money allocated for power development from the State coffer. See the news report below about the new power plants.

First of all I have caught you red handed lying and hiding behind what last elected govt did 3-4 years ago. By getting exposed you are resorting childish rant with out of context discussion.

Second "digital Bangladesh" was awami eletion promise and people expect result. So you can not hide behind work or non work from 3-4 years ago. I am just exposing that awmi lies to people and exposing awami stooges like yourself.

Your idiotic rant about factory need elctricity is child knowledge and was not the argument I had made. Fact that you are deflecting into something that was not contested shows you are running away from failing record of your beloved stooges.

Do you know or have learned anything beyond what daily lie and prothom lie spreading for last few years? From quality of your knowledge answer can easily be read as NO. Thats why you are obsessed with Koko story while real theives and stooges got and getting away with billions. Thats why all govt tender has been hijacked by awami goons, extortion by awami party hacks taken business to brink of collapse. And Sajeeb Wazed Joy with his uncle legecy setting ploy to rob hundred of millions more from Bangladesh. All using illegal name of "PM IT advisor".

All power generation tall talk by awami will be another chapter of "digital lie". By that time you will disappear from here as more like you had done so already.

You want to give people education? know more than what daily lie and prothom lie publish before you preach to someone. You mention Pakistan power generation capacity, yes Pakistan had shown gret success on this area. But do you even know how much of Pakistan population do not have electricity because lack of transmission lines?

You have come to wrong person with your low depth understanding but high pitch propaganda. I am afraid you are at wrong place at wrong time.

Last edited:
Again you have come up with another of your catch phrase 'digital lies.' Shakespear is perhaps crying to see how his English language has been twisted by the non-speakers. Better you send some valid arguments and not with your GAALI and bias, so that a person can answer them properly. Now, do not come with that 'Why are you dictating me?' crap. It is childish.

When you post, would you stop name calling and personal attack? How do you know I am an Awami Leagure, and not a BNP man? Well, it is my personal freedom if I like BNP or AL. But, why do you think it is a crime to like AL? Crimes are, of course, stealing money. Why do you deny KOKKO style of stealing? and what makes you think that I would support AL stealing? When BD people come above Party line and start to criticize their leaders for wrongdoing, only then the leaders will stop stealing. This is the only reason that I am not in the same boat with you.

There are definitely all those tender hijackings going on in the country. But, the difference is because AL wants people's vote next time, therefore, they are spreading their money to the grass root level through these tendering. Money is distributed among their low level Party workers in this way. This is a very wise planning by them. There is no reason for a patriot to support this kind of Horir Loot.

But, BNP did a worse thing. All the moneys were looted at the top and the Party workers did not receive their shares. The result was the loss in the last election. When people are shouting of digital stealing in the election, BNP so far, after such a defeat, has failed to regroup. Such is the people's distrust of BNP.

I believe, even if the AL keeps on distributing the State money, it will be difficult for them to satisfy everybody. A BNP win is certainly a possibility in the next election. Although, Begum Zia apologized in the Paltan (don't remember the exact venue) meeting before the election for all her Party's lootpat, she will have to make a few more apologies before the next election.

By not trying to understand what I have said in my previous post, you are showing your ego. National development is always the way I have said. I am not a child and I am not posting chilidish arguments. You may ask an economics teacher of an University about the process of national development. He would say that I have valid points.

Last edited:
Forex reserves stand at $9.36b

FOREX RESERVES STAND AT $9.36 BILLION

Foreign exchange reserves of the country rose to a record high of $9.36 billion at the end of September from $9.15 billion in August, the Bangladesh Bank said Thursday. It attributed the surge mostly to higher inflows of remittances from Bangladeshis working overseas.- Reuters

By not trying to understand what I have said in my previous post, you are showing your ego. National development is always the way I have said. I am not a child and I am not posting chilidish arguments. You may ask an economics teacher of an University about the process of national development. He would say that I have valid points.

Please read what Professor Anu Muhammed says about the relationship between the production of electricity and capital investment in factories in the following news printed on Oct. 3, 2009. It is in the seventh Paragraph, it is enlighting.

The Daily Ittefaq - October 3, 2009

Last edited:
Deep-sea port to be completed by 2016
UNB, Sangsad Bhaban
The first-phase construction works for deep-sea port at Sonadia offshore island of the Bay would be completed by 2016, accelerating shipping operations.

Responding to a stared question from M Tajul Islam (Comilla-9), Shipping Minister Shahjahan Khan further said that on completion of construction of the deep-sea port, vessels of 14-meter draft would be able to berth at the new seaport.

In the first phase, it would be possible to handle 23.84 lakh tons of cargoes and 17.80 lakh-TEUS containers per year.

“From this deep-sea port Tk 1580 crore will be earned annually,” the minister told the lawmakers.

The deep-sea port was planned, as big ships couldn’t reach the country’s existing seaports in Chittagong and Mongla.

Aare Dada, Amra Nachbo Kibabe? Apnara je amader Uthan tai kere niechen. Like we don't have plane field to dance, BD's economic deterioration has any/little relevance with global meltdown. How has it fallen from 6.8% to 5.4%, can easily be understood by looking at RAWAMY era of 72-75 and 96-2001. Emerging East PAK has been named as 'Bottom less basket' at the first period and emerging tiger has earned 'The most corrupted' country at the second of its rule.
There will be apologists that will come with excuses of electricity, KOKO and BNP thieveries but BNP has earned good names in economy by not shifting from same paradigm that reminds SK Mujib's telling his goons like chonga fuka aar desh chalano ek ginish na. Renowned columnist Masud Majumder has recently said similar thing, the zest of it, “By anarchy, leveraging imperial might, taking Media, academics and army in confidence; state power could be grabbed but running state efficiently requires entirely different skill-sets, where RAWAMY criminals always fail”.

Last edited:
Aare Dada, Amra Nachbo Kibabe? Apnara je amader Uthan tai kere niechen. /QUOTE]
see as i said,you blame everything on us and dont try to find your own faults.......lol @ 'naste na parle,amar uthon kothay galo!!!'

see as i said,you blame everything on us and dont try to find your own faults.......lol @ 'naste na parle,amar uthon kothay galo!!!'

[/quote]
Some guys try to blame others and not their own politicians. This is the reason why the political top guns never recctify themselves. The last RAWNP govt has proved itself to be the most low class thief in the history of BD. It stole right and left, and was dreaming to use part of that money in the election. But, MUA foiled their planning. Now, MUA has become a traitor, when they themselves betrayed their country.

Back
Top Bottom