Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
chinese_t_1479129533.jpg

Chinese Type 056 OPV Light Corvette
Times Of India today.

Bangladesh has received the first among two submarines, it purchased from China under $203 million deal.

The submarines would be commissioned into the naval fleet at the beginning next year, Armed forces spokeswoman Taposhi Rabeya was quoted as saying by Times Of India today.

"This is the first ever addition of submarines in Bangladesh defence force," she added.

Bangladesh has recently been building airbase near to neighboring country Myanmar and opening several military cantonments across the country. Also, It has been adding new frigates to its naval fleet as part of its defense force expansion plan.

In 2013, the Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina signed a billion-dollar deal with Russia to buy fighter training jets, helicopters and anti-tank missiles.

The plan was announced in advance to purchase two submarines the same year as part of her government's move to build a modern navy to defend the resource-rich Bay of Bengal.

A UN tribunal has settled Bangladesh's long-standing maritime border disputes with neighbours Myanmar and India, paving the way for Dhaka to invite bids from multinational firms to explore for oil in the Bay.

Bangladesh has ensured the country's sovereignty over 111,631 square kilometres (43,100 square miles) of sea, an area nearly equal to its landmass.

Xi Jinping last month became the first Chinese president in 30 years to visit Bangladesh, which has historically been more closely allied to rival regional power India.

http://www.defenseworld.net/news/17647/Bangladesh_Buys_Two_Chinese_Submarines#.WCnPoPp95PY

203 Million$ for 2 subs?i.e. 101.5mil$/unit,pak paid over 5billion$ for 8 subs,i.e. is 630mil$ a piece.
Why is there is such a difference in price tags,can someone elaborate key differences?Those S-20's should be 6 times better,both are SSK ,the price difference is just surreal
Mings are old design and offer less tech is that the reason?
These BD Navy's 035Gs are AIP equipped right?

203 Million$ for 2 subs?i.e. 101.5mil$/unit,pak paid over 5billion$ for 8 subs,i.e. is 630mil$ a piece.
Why is there is such a difference in price tags,can someone elaborate key differences?Those S-20's should be 6 times better,both are SSK ,the price difference is just surreal

The Bangladesh 035G Mings are refurbished ex-PLA Navy units from the late 80's I believe, hence the giveaway price.

No AIP as far as I know. These are essentially training subs.

Because those are brand new with AIP and ours are 18 years old refubris Chinese sub.

Because those are brand new with AIP and ours are 18 years old refubris Chinese sub.
Still looking at Indian purchase of French Subs that costs around and about +-450million$ brand new,S-20 costs a hefty more.
The Bangladesh 035G Mings are refurbished ex-PLA Navy units from the late 80's I believe, hence the giveaway price.

No AIP as far as I know. These are essentially training subs.
Quite a deal,aip is not really needed by BN atm because the only known adversary to your east doesn't boost a powerful navy,these 2 subs are enough to make 'em cautious.Their Submarine Hunters are also outdated,not bad BN.
Do keep in mind this is not the first experience of BD with subs,Ghazi (AmericanTench Class) and Hangoor(French Daphne Class) Subs were mostly operated from East Pak.
If this for training then what would be the next possible sub purchase by BN?

Still looking at Indian purchase of French Subs that costs around and about +-450million$ brand new,S-20 costs a hefty more.

Quite a deal,aip is not really needed by BN atm because the only known adversary to your east doesn't boost a powerful navy,these 2 subs are enough to make 'em cautious.Their Submarine Hunters are also outdated,not bad BN.
Do keep in mind this is not the first experience of BD with subs,Ghazi (AmericanTench Class) and Hangoor(French Daphne Class) Subs were mostly operated from East Pak.
If this for training then what would be the next possible sub purchase by BN?

The Caretaker Govt had planned to procure two subs to be built in Turkey on a S African-German design. The Turkish yard was to build these under a JV with ROK. Even some personnel had been sent to Turkey for training. These would have posed a headache to IN.

The Caretaker Govt had planned to procure two subs to be built in Turkey on a S African-German design. The Turkish yard was to build these under a JV with ROK. Even some personnel had been sent to Turkey for training. These would have posed a headache to IN.
IN won' take threats from BD,simple as that,unless you have something on the lines of SSN or SSBN or heck even an AIP type subs.The only thing these subs might be able to do is put a full stop to bullying from IN.
Was Caretaker's decision carried forward by the current GOB?Modified Type-214?Can't be as other members are suggesting different subs.
2+2 S26 from China similar to Thailand to be commissioned from 2022.
Source?

IN won' take threats from BD,simple as that,unless you have something on the lines of SSN or SSBN or heck even an AIP type subs.The only thing these subs might be able to do is put a full stop to bullying from IN.
Was Caretaker's decision carried forward by the current GOB?Modified Type-214?Can't be as other members are suggesting different subs.

Source?

1.CTG's shopping list included:
a. Subs from Turkey - scraped.
b. 3xRegts of MNT-2000s. Scrapped after receiving one regt.
c. F-16s from Turkey for which pilots and technicians were sent to Turkey - scrapped.
2. BN's current objective is to move forwards from being a coastal navy. Securing own waters from fishing poachers and guarding oil/gas blocs. Next it would advance ahead to a line Vyzag - Andaman and marry up with PLAN.

Back
Top Bottom