What's new

Bangladesh becomes a lender for first time

Western european countries are in the EU? Seriously you dont say.... tell me more...you are full of unique information...
Are you mentally challenged or something? You are the one who is saying that BD's largest market is US, while I am saying it is EU.

You are going on ignore list. Don't have the stamina to deal with a retard. I have explain every single little bit, it is aggravating now.

Why do we need to lend money to SL just so they can avoid defaulting? Why can we not give this money to our people as a venture capital/small business startup scheme.

What world is BD in

IMO it is because SL ask BD to lend them some money, but your gov only lend about 200 million USD. Something similar like maybe happening in one big family when there is one member who need money badly

AI will take many many decades to have significant effects and so BD has time to adjust. No BD does not need to decrease its population as having a large population but stable population can help if they are utilised properly.

So far it is doing the best out of any S Asian country in moving out of poverty and this AL government is the best choice at this month.

Corruption happens everywhere and there are plenty of scandals and high levels if corruption in now developed countriesd like S Korea and that did not stop them from getting rich.

Remember that people like IMF, ADB, CEBR know a lot more than you and me and they are optimistic for BD's future and so best go with what they say.

At this moment it makes little sense to put BD and Pakistan in the same economic bracket apart from both are at a similar level of poverty. The real difference is that one is moving ahead quickly(BD) while the other is not.

A.I will not take too long decades maybe , but Bangladeshi leaders still don't mention anything about industrialization which again is KEY for helping grow Bangladesh.

BD has a very difficult future for itself due to issues like corruption and climate change

Bangladesh already does something=huh no potential.
Pakistan thinking about doing half of what Bangladesh does=oh my god...potentials everywhere.

More like

Pakistan : Has potential but it rather shoot itself than to actually develop

Bangladesh : Doing good enough to stay afloat , but leaders making BS claims on Bangladesh becoming the next Singapore while not even industrializing and barely sorta diversifying it's exports.

Both nations are meh , still way behind nations like the U.K let alone South Korea

Are you mentally challenged or something? You are the one who is saying that BD's largest market is US, while I am saying it is EU.

You are going on ignore list. Don't have the stamina to deal with a retard. I have explain every single little bit, it is aggravating now.

US is a country the other is a trading block.

I have already addressed EU GSP issue so whats your point?

You came here to troll.... fair enough but you just dont have the numbers... your doubts and opinions about BD are lets be polite perhaps not as valuable as you think it is.

Their buddist people are same as the Burmese, hate Muslims. They were kinda happy when Burmese were killing Rohingya. Allah says it clearly, "the kuffar and the mushrikeen are your manifest enemies". We see it time and again.

We just need to keep normal business ties knowing fully well they are not our well wishers, neither can they ever be our true friends.

I know that anti-Muslim feeling is only prevalent in some Sri-Lankan circles, among some Buddhist extremists.

However their govt. must acknowledge the malfeasance caused by these miscreants, and take appropriate action - instead of pandering to these extremist groups and endorsing their heinous ethnic cleansing action.

This is their responsibility as global citizens.

I know upper middle class Sri-Lankan folks are generally educated, sober, refined folks (some I count as friends) and they'd be rightfully ashamed of these low class extremists.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a more relevant note - @Death Professor bhai - please don't take offense for a few humble comments I have.

I must admit that this thread has now devolved into some sort of sick comparison between Pakistan and Bangladesh economies which is a regrettable and pointless mud-slinging fight and completely off topic. Only bhakts engage into this sort of comparison, and we all know why...

You know (as well those Bangladeshis responding to you do) that such comparisons are pointless and lead to nothing but increased ill-feeling and acrimony between brothers and sisters of both countries.

The ground realities between both countries are different as night and day - the economic factors, industries and markets are very different. Pakistan fought the superpowers of the world for two decades or more, we suffered no such misfortune (we prospered as a result). We understand. The fortunes of countries can go up and down in a flash - it is solely Allah's will. We in Bangladesh were lucky because of a few factors and most of us do not boast of it.

I cannot imagine that this acrimony between both countries could be your objective - which is, driving a wedge between people of both countries and attacking any fellow-feeling and bon-homie, which is unproductive. There is enough misunderstanding and hatred existing as it is between both countries, because of ignorance (and people in third countries profiting from such hatred).

Do you see where I am going with this?

I don't think the Mods would like to add to this hatred - i.e. some Pakistanis putting Bangalis in their rightful inferior place... :-)

I have commented before that you may have limited understanding of Bangladesh economic situation. Better would be if you educated yourself before commenting with misperceptions and misconceived notions. Ask nicely - we will give you information. But trying to degrade our development as a bunch of lies is rather unwelcome. Most of the folks in the Bangladesh section are not engaging in pointless "Bangladesh is better than Pakistan" propaganda.

I'd dare say that I personally have respected Pakistani sentiments and asked Bangladeshi brothers here not to boast about development, in the interest of us being Mehmaans here in PDF. I personally appreciate the izzat and respect given to Bangladeshis by the majority of the Pakistani members here.

Going forward I believe it is better not to broach comparison of Pakistans and Bangladesh' development subjects in the forum, if it irks some Pakistanis so much.

And funny thing was - this wasn't even the topic of this thread. :-)

@The Eagle bhai your comments.

Last edited:
More like

Pakistan : Has potential but it rather shoot itself than to actually develop

Bangladesh : Doing good enough to stay afloat , but leaders making BS claims on Bangladesh becoming the next Singapore while not even industrializing and barely sorta diversifying it's exports.

Both nations are meh , still way behind nations like the U.K let alone South Korea

I wont comment about PK as i have little interest on it.

But when it comes to BD economy i think the economy has taken off and it will motor along.

Population growth has been arrested which was a major issue.

But we have not developed a critical mass of educated and entrepreneurial people. Without this we will absolutely be cought in the middle income trap.

I think BD has done well with what it had. I hope the GoB continues to allow the private sector to take the lead whilst it concentrates on policy support. But it does needs to get off its butt and actually sort out the education system with the aim of producing those who can add value to the country. Graduates are not where its at.... BD needs to expand vocational and trade skill training.

BD absolutely must exploit the demography dividend that we will experience and if we train our kids well it will take only a generation to be a developed country. 2040 is not a pipedream but it does require stability and proper execution of a plan.

I am as ever an optimist and am hopefull.

The question still stands what are you exporting( and btw my list/sources were from 2 years back), is it still the things that I listed or are the major exports different from what I stated?

I will provide this info - let me take care of roti-ruji business.
I wont comment about PK as i have little interest on it.

But when it comes to BD economy i think the economy has taken off and it will motor along.

Population growth has been arrested which was a major issue.

But we have not developed a critical mass of educated and entrepreneurial people. Without this we will absolutely be cought in the middle income trap.

I think BD has done well with what it had. I hope the GoB continues to allow the private sector to take the lead whilst it concentrates on policy support. But it does needs to get off its butt and actually sort out the education system with the aim of producing those who can add value to the country. Graduates are not where its at.... BD needs to expand vocational and trade skill training.

BD absolutely must exploit the demography dividend that we will experience and if we train our kids well it will take only a generation to be a developed country. 2040 is not a pipedream but it does require stability and proper execution of a plan.

I am as ever an optimist and am hopefull.

We have been incredibly lucky so far, gender parity, NGO movement, lowering of fertility (and a dozen other HDI's improved upon), apparel boom. Some incredible hard work done, running factories 24/7/365 non-stop. My family was involved as well.

We will really need to push hard to achieve the next level up to educate and upskill the next generation. Need all the strength we can muster!

Last edited:
Over 71% Bangladesh's exports limited to only 10 countries
Ibrahim Hossain Ovi
  • Published at 12:35 am July 10th, 2019
Bangladesh export

According Export Promotion Bureau (EPB) data, in the fiscal year 2018-19 Bangladesh earned $40.53 billion

Experts call for market diversification

The lion's share of Bangladesh's export is limited to only 10 countries, leaving the country highly dependent on these markets in absence of initiatives to explore new destinations.

The ten countries imported over 71% or $28.89 billion of Bangladesh’s total exported goods in the just concluded fiscal year, with the United States of America taking the lead with 17% exports share.

According Export Promotion Bureau (EPB) data, in the fiscal year 2018-19 Bangladesh earned $40.53 billion, of which $28.89 billion or 71.27% of the total exports came from the USA, Germany, the United Kingdom, Spain, France, Italy, Canada, Japan, the Netherlands and Poland.

Of the total amount, $25.53 billion came from the apparel goods.

The US, the single largest export destinations for Bangladeshi goods, especially apparel, imported goods worth $6.88 billion, which is 16.96% of Bangladesh’s total exports.

Bangladesh’s exports to the US market rose by 14.92% or $893 million to $6.88 billion, which was $5.98 billion in the previous fiscal year. Apparel goods earned $6.13 billion, posting a 14.60% growth over the previous years’ earnings.

Exports to US market rose sharply due to US-China trade war, which prompted global buyers to shift work orders from China to Bangladesh. This is because of rise in tariff, which ultimately pushed the production cost, exporters have said.

In March this year, the Asian Development Bank (ADB), said Bangladesh merchandise exports would increase by additional $400 million and its gross domestic product (GDP) by 0.19% by the next one or two years if the prevailing international trade conflicts involving the US and China escalated.

Exporting goods to Germany, the second largest destination, Bangladesh earned $6.17 billion, up by 4.79%, which was $5.90 billion in the FY18. Germany imported 15.23% goods of Bangladesh’s total exports.

Of the total exports $5.84 billion came from the apparel products, which posted 4.68% growth.
On the other hand, export earnings from the UK rose by 4.51% to $4.17 billion, which is 10.29% of total exports of Bangladesh.

Talking to Dhaka Tribune, trade analyst and exporters called for measures to explore new markets to reduce dependency on a few markets and diversify export destinations.

“The situation has improved now. Once, 65% of Bangladesh's total export was limited to the US, which is a now 17%. This is a great achievement. This is because of government incentives and manufactures efforts to explore new markets,” former BGMEA senior vice president Faruque Hassan told Dhaka Tribune.
United States of America, Germany and Britain would remain the bigger markets for Bangladesh due to its population and economy size, Hassan observed.

But the sector people were trying their best to expand to new markets, which already showed a positive signs, he added.

For exploring more markets to reduce dependency, Hassan urged the government to go for bilateral trade agreement to avail duty-free market access to new counties such as the Russian Federation and South Africa.

Meanwhile, economists have expressed concern over the high dependency on some big markets and called for diversifying the markets.

“Higher dependency on single product and few export markets is not good for a country. To sustain the export growth as well as enlarge the export volume, Bangladesh should focus on market and products diversification,” Policy Research Institute (PRI) executive director Ahsan H Mansur told Dhaka Tribune.
"I think, the government should continue the existing incentives for exploring new markets but there is a need for assessment for calculating the impacts of incentives," said the economist.

Currently, Bangladesh is providing 4% cash incentives against exports of apparel goods to non-traditional export markets in a bid to diversify export destinations.

In addition, the Bangladesh government also has offered 1% incentives for the all the traditional export destinations.

Even incentives can vary based on the potentials of markets, more attention should be given on those countries where there were more scopes, he added.

"On top of that, it is high time we thought beyond the apparel sector as we are number two in the global markets. For reducing the dependency, we should focus on the countries having need for products what Bangladeshi manufacturers produce," he added.

Major Export products of Bangladesh
Bangladeshi export sector is divided into two segments.

Those are, (a) traditional sector and (b) non-traditional sector.

Traditional sector includes apparel, raw jute, jute products, tea, raw hide and its products, frozen food, newsprint etc. Non-traditional sector includes electronics, appliances, shipbuilding, pharma, crockeries, handicrafts, fruits, vegetables etc.

In 2019-20 export of some products has increased or decreased. Covid-19 was a huge factor in the reduction of exports as with other countries globally.

The products whose export increased in 2019-20 are jute and jute products, fruits, vegetables, tobacco, carpet, furniture, medicine, handicrafts etc.

Reduction of exports in 2019-20 occurred on apparel, processed seafood (prawn), dry foods, ceramics, rawhide and leather products, home textiles, electrical/electronics products, plastics and derivatives, agricultural products, rubber products (tyres), etc.

Bangladesh Export Data and Growth

Export sector2018-19
($ in million)
2019-20
($ in million)
% of increase/ decrease
Primary products1409.371318.21-6.47
Industrial Products39125.6832355.88-17.30
Total40535.0433674.09-16.93

Traditional sector
  1. Raw jute & its products: Bangladesh is the top jute growing country in the world. Every year it produces 50-60 lakh bales of jute which are 75 percent of total jute in the world. In 2019-20 the total earning from exporting raw jute is $100.52 million and its total share on export is 2.62%. Jute and its products have a great impact on the economy of Bangladesh. This country exports Jute in the USA, UK, Russia, Japan, Pakistan, Germany, India, etc.
  2. Rawhide & its products, shoe: Bangladesh abounds in cow, buffalo, and goat. So, this nation is exporting rawhide and its products. Bangladesh exports these items to the USA, UK, Italy, Japan, Germany, France, India, Belgium, etc. in 2019-20, Its share in the total export is 2.37 percent which is worth $797.60 million.
  3. Fish: Bangladesh mainly exports frozen seafood and farmed prawn. By exporting prawn it earns huge foreign currency. It export frozen fish items to the USA, UK, China, Singapore, India, Italy, Germany, etc. the total earning from this sector is $456.15 million and the total share of exports is 1.35 percent.
  4. Tea: Every year Bangladesh produces 32 million tons of tea. After meeting domestic needs this country exports tea to the USA, UK, Germany, Russia, Italy, Japan, Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt etc.
  5. Paper and newsprint: Karnaphuli and Khulna newsprint mills produce writing paper, newsprint, and hardboard. Bangladesh exports those products to India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and the Middle East.
Non-traditional sector
  1. Knit apparel: In the fiscal year 2019-20 this sector earned $13,908 million which is 41.30% of the total export of this country. Bangladesh mainly exports apparel to the USA, UK, EU and Middle East, etc.
  2. Woven apparel: Woven apparel is the highest-earning exporting cloth of this country. Its share of total export is 41.70% and it is worth $14,041.19 million. The export destination of woven apparel is the same as knit apprel.
  3. Home textiles: In 2019-20, the total earning from this sector is $758.91 million. which is 2.25 percent of total export.
  4. Handicrafts: Bangladeshi people are able to make handicrafts using wood, bamboo, coconut, jute, etc. those have a huge demand abroad. This country earns more than six million dollars by this sector.
  5. Other products: In the 2019-20 fiscal year, besides those products, this country also exports Pharmaceuticals, plastics, bi-cycles and parts, tobacco, electronics, books, toys, film, etc.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note : the amounts earned from exports is not accurate above - I will upload better figures using a better source.

Last edited:
Guys let's keep it on topic please...
As we can see- exports have been over performing and under performing at times, but overall the trend is not down but up. 2019 remains the benchmark because things in 2020 really turned back for everyone during Covid.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12:00 AM, July 09, 2019 / LAST MODIFIED: 12:32 PM, July 09, 2019
Double-digit export growth in FY19

export_15.jpg

Refayet Ullah Mirdha

The country’s merchandise export earnings grew by 10.55 percent year-on-year to $40.53 billion in the immediate past fiscal year riding on a high volume of garment shipment in a favourable external business environment.

The earnings were 3.94 percent higher than the annual target of $39 billion in 2018-19. In 2017-18, Bangladesh exported goods worth $36.66 billion.

However, June recorded one of the lowest export receipts at $2.78 billion, which is also 5.27 percent less than that of the corresponding month in the previous fiscal year, according to Export Promotion Bureau (EPB) data released yesterday.

In June of 2017-18, Bangladesh’s export earnings were $2.93 billion.

June’s receipts were also 22.65 percent lower than the monthly target of $3.60 billion set by the government. In Bangladesh, the fiscal year is counted between July of a year and June of the next year.

Garment export earnings, which accounted for over 84 percent of the national exports, amounted to $34.13 billion, registering an 11.49 percent year-on-year growth.

Of the amount, $16.88 billion came from knitwear and $17.24 billion from woven garment products.

Earnings from apparel shipment were 4.57 percent higher than the target of $32.68 billion. Some $30.61 billion was earned in fiscal 2017-18.

“The earnings from June indicate that the future trend is not so good for the garment sector,” said Faisal Samad, vice-president of the Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BGMEA), over the phone.

Although garment shipments grew by 11.49 percent, international retailers and brands are not paying higher prices while purchasing garment items from Bangladesh, he said.

However, Bangladesh is getting more work orders that shifted from China resulting from the US-China trade war, Samad said. Buyers are more confident as the image of the country’s garment sector has brightened a lot recently because of the remediation carried out as per requirements of the international community.

The country’s garment export to the US market, the single largest export destination for garment, grew more than 10 percent in recent months because of the trade war, he said.

“The exact value addition has not been reflected in the offered prices for Bangladeshi garment items by the international clothing retailers and brands although the cost of doing business is increasing every year for various reasons,” Samad said.

Moreover, an unhealthy price competition has been hurting the Bangladesh’s garment sector for many years as many small and medium factories have been receiving work orders for offering prices below the production cost only to keep factories running, he added.

Apart from apparel, some other sectors also fared well.

The shipment of frozen and live fish such as shrimp and crabs rose 1.58 percent to $500.4 million and that of agricultural products such as tea, vegetables, fruits, spices, dry food, and tobacco surged 34.92 percent to $908.96 million.

Pharmaceuticals, furniture, petroleum byproducts, plastic goods, ceramics, handicrafts, cotton, cotton products (yarn and wastes of fabrics), carpet, terry towel, footwear, wigs, and furniture performed better in the last fiscal year.

However, leather and leather goods and jute and jute goods continued their poor show. Leather and leather goods fetched $1.01 billion, down 6.06 percent year-on-year. This is largely because many tanneries that have shifted to the leather estate in Savar have not embarked on full-fledged production yet.

The sector is the only segment that had crossed the $1-billion export mark after garments last year. Exports of jute and jute goods, another important foreign currency earner, fell 20.41 percent year-on-year to $816.27 million.

The sector’s earnings are declining mainly because of higher use of jute goods like sacks in the domestic market and the anti-dumping duty slapped by India.

Home textiles, building materials, ships and bicycles also performed poorly.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bangladesh: Pharma exports soar 26%
JULY 24, 2019
01-3.jpg

Skilled manpower and improved quality of medicines and more focus on foreign markets have helped Bangladesh to expand its pharma market to 144 countries.

Bangladesh’s medicine exports soared 25.60 percent year-on-year to $130 million last fiscal year thanks to continuous improvement of product quality and government support.

The sector has built up skilled manpower and improved quality and at the same time more effort is being put to win the global market, said Mizanur Rahman Sinha, managing director of ACME Laboratories.

“For this reason, the export volume is increasing. The export figure though is insignificant. But the sector has a good potential in the global market,” he added.

Local players dominate Bangladesh’s pharmaceutical industry. Square Pharmaceuticals is the major player with 18.8 percent share, followed by Incepta at 10.2 percent, Beximco 8.5 percent, Opsonin 5.6 percent, Renata 5.1 percent and Eskayef 4.5 percent, according to the Bangladesh Association of Pharmaceuticals Industries (BAPI).

Multinational companies Radiant, Sanofi and Novo Nordisk also have significant presence with their specialised products.

According to BAPI, Bangladesh exports pharma products to 144 countries and caters to 97 percent of the domestic market.

In 2017, the per capita consumption of medicine in Bangladesh was about $15.36.

“Foreign buyers are coming in continuously and visiting our factories to examine the quality of products. More often than not they are placing orders,” Sinha said.

Bangladesh mainly exports medicine to Africa and Asia, with some even going to the US and Europe, said Shafiqul Islam, vice-chairman of the Export Promotion Bureau.

“I believe within the next 5 to 10 years, our pharma products will enter the US and EU properly and for this reason EPB is helping the sector.”

Local consumption of medicine is increasing in line with the rise in population and growing awareness on treatment, he said.

Currently, Bangladesh has the ability to produce advanced medicines such as bio-similar drugs, vaccines and oncology products as well as medical devices, said Mohammad Ebadul Karim, managing director of Beacon Pharmaceuticals.

“We do export oncology products to Sri Lanka, Nepal, Myanmar, Singapore, Malaysia and African countries. But volume is still low — we should to grab the regulated market to increase the volume,” he added.

According to his estimates the market size of the sector is about Tk 22,000 crore.

In 2012, the local market size stood at about Tk 9,390. In 2017, it stood at Tk 18,755.6 crore, according to IMS Health Care Report.

Karim also emphasised on upgrading technology and infrastructure to boost exports and enter regulated markets.

In 2015, the US Food and Drug Administration gave approval to Square Pharmaceuticals and Beximco Pharmaceuticals after inspecting the oral solid dosage facilities of the two companies.

Bangladesh has made commendable progress in pharma sector over the years through policy support from the government, skilled workforce, cost competitiveness, modern infrastructure and cGMP compliance, said Rabbur Reza, chief operating officer at Beximco Pharmaceuticals.

The export potential for differentiated products — such as metered dose inhaler, dry powder inhaler, sterile ophthalmic, injectable — is high in key emerging and developed markets due to less competition, he added.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom