What's new

Banana duct-taped to wall art installation sells for $120k in Miami

Haris Ali2140

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Two editions have been sold by Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan, with the price of a third edition reportedly raised to $150,000.

skynews-banana-duct-tape-maurizio-cattelan_4858074.jpg

A banana duct-taped to a wall has been sold by an artist for $120,000 (£91,000).

The installation by Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan went on display at the Art Basel Miami Beach exhibition this week.

Organisers say two editions of the work, called Comedian, each sold for around $120,000 (£91,000) - and the price of a third edition has now reportedly been raised to $150,000 (£114,000).

skynews-banana-duct-tape-maurizio-cattelan_4858076.jpg

Image:The work was on display at the Art Basel Miami Beach exhibition. Pic: Zeno ZottiJacopo Zotti
Cattelan previously created the solid gold toilet stolen from Blenheim Palace in Oxfordshire earlier this year.

A spokeswoman for Art Basel Miami Beach told Sky News: "After a 15-year hiatus, Maurizio has returned to the international art fair, and we are so fortunate to collaborate with him.

"The banana is many things - a symbol of global trade, a witty double entendre, and a classic device for humour.

"Maurizio takes mundane objects and transforms them into vehicles of both delight and critique."

https://news.sky.com/story/banana-d...installation-sells-for-120k-in-miami-11879272

I don't believe that someone really bought. It's against of every known stupidity criteria.

I have once read of a coca cola can kicked around the streets in London and then displayed in some art museum being sold for a ridiculously high amount.

Yeah, modern art.

daru ki khali bottles humari roof per pari hain wo to bikwa do yaar :rofl:

Aap daaru ki bottles ka pyramid banaalein aur bolen "This is the inner expression of my anger". Shaayad uska aapko do lakh toh miljaaye. :D

Aap daaru ki bottles ka pyramid banaalein aur bolen "This is the inner expression of my anger". Shaayad uska aapko do lakh toh miljaaye. :D
i dont want to cash my hidden wealth let next generations sale it with the name of

this is the empty bottle of whiskey drunken be great imran khan in 2019 - price 12million$

modern art is an industry that is heavily involved in, if not completely dominated by, money laundering. This is how I believe it works: The major players are the 'Art Dealer' (receiver of illicit money), The Corporate 'Art collectors' (can be a legit company or shell company, as well as private investor who pays illicit money to the dealer), the appraiser, and the artist(s).

I'm the 'Art Dealer'. Let's say I have $1 million of dirty money that I need to clean. First, I find artists that are desperate to make a name for themselves, and we make a deal in which I will buy their paintings at a low price and sell them to one of my own shell companies, or a separate entity that needs to account for a large under-the-table payment. I sell ten paintings for ~$100k a piece. I can sell these to multiple shells so as not to raise suspicion. With the right connections, I can make these transactions very publicized, so they will make a lot of noise art industry. This will allow the artists to receive notoriety for their massive success, and they will begin to sell their paintings to pretentious private collectors at high margins. At this point, the initial transaction has already been cleaned. This is where the real fun begins. After sitting on the art for a few years, the artist's growing notoriety will inflate the initial value of the pieces. An appraiser that works for the "Art Dealer" will add 100% to the value. The art is now worth $2 million total. The companies will put these paintings up for sale at boujee auctions. Let’s say that they all sell at appraisal value to unwitting private citizens. $2 million now goes back to the 'Art Collector'. With this process, not only is the money clean, but every party in the transaction profits from the art. The artist is now a well known and respected name, likely to find his pieces hanging in mansions and museums, regardless of their actual quality. This is why a blank white canvas with the word "FOOL" can sell at Christie's for $14,650,000.00.

I don't believe that someone really bought. It's against of every known stupidity criteria.

Art auction is used by black marketer and hawala dealer to change hands of their illegal moeny..

Not if the buyer is a friend or it is charity. However art sale value is far easier to rig then paying a boxer to throw a fight.

modern art is an industry that is heavily involved in, if not completely dominated by, money laundering. This is how I believe it works: The major players are the 'Art Dealer' (receiver of illicit money), The Corporate 'Art collectors' (can be a legit company or shell company, as well as private investor who pays illicit money to the dealer), the appraiser, and the artist(s).

I'm the 'Art Dealer'. Let's say I have $1 million of dirty money that I need to clean. First, I find artists that are desperate to make a name for themselves, and we make a deal in which I will buy their paintings at a low price and sell them to one of my own shell companies, or a separate entity that needs to account for a large under-the-table payment. I sell ten paintings for ~$100k a piece. I can sell these to multiple shells so as not to raise suspicion. With the right connections, I can make these transactions very publicized, so they will make a lot of noise art industry. This will allow the artists to receive notoriety for their massive success, and they will begin to sell their paintings to pretentious private collectors at high margins. At this point, the initial transaction has already been cleaned. This is where the real fun begins. After sitting on the art for a few years, the artist's growing notoriety will inflate the initial value of the pieces. An appraiser that works for the "Art Dealer" will add 100% to the value. The art is now worth $2 million total. The companies will put these paintings up for sale at boujee auctions. Let’s say that they all sell at appraisal value to unwitting private citizens. $2 million now goes back to the 'Art Collector'. With this process, not only is the money clean, but every party in the transaction profits from the art. The artist is now a well known and respected name, likely to find his pieces hanging in mansions and museums, regardless of their actual quality. This is why a blank white canvas with the word "FOOL" can sell at Christie's for $14,650,000.00.

It would be easy to laugh this off but I have worked for several financial institutions that have had tons of questionable quality artwork on their walls...scratching my chin now going “hmmm”.

I always figured they paid almost nothing for them with the hope that one will be worth millions some day. Usually artwork that looks ridiculous ends up being worth a lot so they certainly are maximizing that angle. They do pride themselves in looking for different types of investments that pay off.

Last edited:
Ya Allah yeh art kay naam per kia tamasha ho raha hai.... utha lay ya Allah .. mujay nahi in dramay bazon ko.

Back
Top Bottom