What's new

Ban Bollywood: Pakistan bigwigs

We should ban Indian films temporarily in an attempt to create demand for Pakistani films. There is nothing wrong with a country trying to preserve its culture/identity while at the same time helping its economy.

We should ban Indian films temporarily in an attempt to create demand for Pakistani films. There is nothing wrong with a country trying to preserve its culture/identity while at the same time helping its economy.

Bollywood was banned in Pakistan for like 40 years. It didn't achieve anything for Pakistan movie industry. Yes about 1000 odd cinema theaters in Pakistan got shut down though.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Pakistan's dilemma - Bollywood or bust?

Producers say there aren't enough films to keep cinemas going. Powerful figures in the Pakistan film industry are desperately trying to step up pressure on the government to allow screening of Indian movies in Pakistan. They say this is the only way the country's comatose film industry can be revived.

The ban was imposed after the Indo-Pakistan war of 1965. "The local film industry has proven itself to be completely unable to meet the demands of the local market," says studio owner and producer Shahzad Gul. Mr Gul is one of the few producers who still comes up with an occasional hit.

The Film Producers Association (FPA) and the Cinema Owners Association (CAO) have been repeatedly requesting a meeting with Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz to press home the urgency of allowing local screening of Indian fare.However, their last request was turned down recently on the grounds that this may not be the right time to raise the issue.

"Bollywood has already invaded our homes. Our cable networks air Indian films the very day they are released in India. Besides, we have easy access to all kinds of CDs and DVDs."Mr Gul and others who support his contention point to the situation on the ground.

Pakistan had 1,300 cinema halls in the 1970s, feasting on an average annual production of around 300 movies. In 2005, the CAO could count only 270 cinema halls across the country with most of the rest having been converted into gas stations, shopping malls or car showrooms.

Allowing India to educate the minds of future generations is not a clever idea. Their morality, principles, and ethics are very different from the values a Muslim nation like Bangladesh needs.

In their culture, it's a cute sexy little dance katrina kaif is doing, something worth admiring and appreciating, something you're happy if your little daughter learns to do(and gets a role in some movie). In our culture, these people are considered vulgar and indecent, and this is not something parents try to get their children to do. It is a form of prostitution that they do, making money by flaunting their bodies in front of audiences of millions.
You post the same in all the threads? :rofl:

www.defence.pk/forums/bangladesh-defence/133364-bangladeshi-film-industry-s-fight-survival.html

You're using copy paste feature very well man
:rofl:

We should ban Indian films temporarily in an attempt to create demand for Pakistani films.
Or you can make good films temporarily atleast for a healthy competition!

There is nothing wrong with a country trying to preserve its culture/identity while at the same time helping its economy.
Also, there's nothing wrong in making good films, so do it for god's sake.

if this paper was presented as a source of something- then indians would have shouted- not credible source- bogus paper bla bla-

but they are discussing this news as this is the most authentic paper around-

Dubious characters-

Another of those dilemma threads :hitwall:

How many of those art -type and social issues concerning films like ---Khuda Ke Liye , Ramchand Pakistani and Bol can an ordinary person watch ?
People watch movies to get some entertainment not to get educated in social evils.

Also if you let in Hollywood with its explicit scenes and skin , then banning Bollywood is pure hypocrisy.

Another of those dilemma threads :hitwall:

How many of those art -type and social issues concerning films like ---Khuda Ke Liye , Ramchand Pakistani and Bol can an ordinary person watch ?
People watch movies to get some entertainment not to get educated in social evils.

Also if you let in Hollywood with its explicit scenes and skin , then banning Bollywood is pure hypocrisy.

good but i want to add here that entertainments are planned source of propaganda, turning people's mind over particular issues and moreover promotion of specific culture so there is only need to keep check (even in India all entertainments are passed through specific filtration process).

Banning any creative, artistic output not a wise move, we have to let people freely think and analyze ideas of entertainments.

good but i want to add here that entertainments are planned source of propaganda, turning people's mind over particular issues and moreover promotion of specific culture so there is only need to keep check (even in India all entertainments are passed through specific filtration process).

Banning any creative, artistic output not a wise move, we have to let people freely think and analyze ideas of entertainments.

That is why instead of outrightly banning the films , the GOP should rather create a strong and competent censor board and approval board.

Of course , if the film sells , its very difficult to hold it back . Powerful unions ( traders associations ) and lobbies will be at work behind the scenes to get it released. But herein comes in the selection of credible film personalities , critics etc in the censor board under the supervision of a Government official.

And with increased competition , it will encourage Pakistani production houses to produce quality films to propagate Pakistani culture too.

if Indian movies are banned most of the cinemas will show movies not suited for under 18 people. Bcz there is nothing else that can bring large number of people

Keeping aside the India Pak rivallary...I think it is sensitive enough to understand when i heard noted film producer from pakistan to oppose the entry of bollywood to pakistan...it happends that every small country needs protect its interests...but i feel india should not follow that path and india should allow pakistani movies to come and screened in india..even recently i have seen the movie "BOL". It was really nice movie...and the good part is that although its is a pakistani movie but u can its content are vey much similar to us.

Coming to the topic...to the paksitani friends who oppose...make a note that ....pakistani people who like bollywood and those crapy STAR PLus SERIALS will see those movies irrespective of you ban it or not...it is just a mattter of medium...if you ban it...they will watch it through DVDS through black market and any people from saudi ..or any black marketer will get the money....and if pak govt legalises it...then pak gov will get the money....now in this scenario....u make your choice...anyway the demand for bollywood is not going to comedown wheather u allow it to be screened in pak or not...thats the bottomline...

India started developing when the market was opened to all,same goes for China.Moral of the story,there should be competition if we want to bring out better quality products.

Govt censorship is something to be frowned at. People should watch whatever they want. Pakistani film industry should try to compete and work hard and produce quality products. There is a bigger market in india. If we like their stuff im sure some of our quality dramas wil do well in india too

Thats what I called positive mindset and progressive thinking. Sure We would like to see good movies from Lollywood. I still remember "Khuda Ke liye" was a real good work. Also I think "tere Bin laden" has Pakistan's contribution. Lets have a healthy cultural Competition.

if Indian movies are banned most of the cinemas will show movies not suited for under 18 people. Bcz there is nothing else that can bring large number of people

That's not too bad after all i got fond memories of watching over 18 films while being under 18 .

Don't know about movies but Indian channals must be banned, & i'm not saying it because of rivalry or other BS but because they promote Indian culture in Pakistan. Pakistan must promote it's own beautiful culture Sufiesm not only in Pakistan but in other countries too so it will show the soft image of Pakistan & also bring Pakistan's cultural influence over their countries.

About Indian movies, just tax it heavily & in meanwhile create alot of high quality & good story Lollywood movies, the Indian movie market in Pakistan will die itself.

Little Offtopic, Can anyone tell me what happen to Pakistani movies like Freedom Sound, Bhai Log & Kolachi????

One good example to be given in this thread. In india, there is open market for not only Hollywood, British but Chinese movies as well. And to be fair enough to say they make good money as well. Chinese movies present their culture (though a regional rival) we take positive from their movies. Its not about what movie teaches you, its what you take from Movie.

Back
Top Bottom