What's new

Balochistan problem: ‘Guerrilla war a real possibility’

VelocuR

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Balochistan problem: ‘Guerrilla war a real possibility’

2494411922_d51c343e14.jpg

After six decades of intermittent conflict, the people of Balochistan had a deep feeling of mistrust towards the central government, said a speaker at the conference.

LAHORE: The outbreak of another civil war between Baloch nationalists and the Pakistan Army is a real possibility unless the Baloch peoples’ minimum demands are met.

“Baloch nationalism is a reality that we cannot ignore or coop up by making promises,” said Dr Javaid Haider Syed on the second and final day of a conference on ‘Pakistan: Challenges to Democracy, Governance and National Unity’ at Punjab University here on Tuesday.

In his paper titled ‘Balochistan Problem: The Main Threat to Pakistan’s National Unity’ Syed said that after six decades of intermittent conflict, the people of Balochistan had a deep feeling of mistrust towards the central government.

“The risk of a prolonged guerrilla movement in Balochistan is quite real,”
said Syed, who is with Quaid-i-Azam University’s Department of History.

However, he said that in the absence of foreign support, the Baloch movement was unlikely to prevail.

Quaid-i-Azam University Department of International Relations Chairwoman Dr Lubna Abid Ali said that the basis of national unity should be Pakistani nationalism, not Muslim nationalism. She said Pakistan should be a multi-religious, multi-ethnic country with fundamental freedoms and respect for basic human rights.

“The challenges to democracy, governance and national unity in Pakistan include local and external factors. Internally, the current PP government is facing divisions within the party, radicalisation of society, corruption, price-hike, energy and food shortages, injustice, ethnic and sectarian violence, rise of non-state actors, Afghan Jihad, inconclusive military operations in Waziristan, floods, natural hazards and fight against terrorism. Externally, Kashmir and water issues, NATO and ISAF forces in Afghanistan, US-Iran conflict, worldwide economic crunch, regional and international challenges are major problems,” she said.

University of Peshawar Department of Political Science Chairman Dr AZ Hilali said that Pakistan’s elites had created the environment that led to the Taliban. “Talibanisation has grave socio-cultural, economic and strategic implications for Pakistan,” he said, as the militants were not just an existential threat to Pakistan, but a threat to regional security and stability.

Dr Qalb-i-Abid of Punjab University read from his paper about the media role in shaping the public agenda. “Media is consistently inculcating the message that Pakistan needs a creative, innovative and incorruptible leadership in order to meet the present day challenges to achieve the goals envisioned by Quaid-i-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah,” he said.

“The various channels … are deeply involved in redefining what the role of institutions in Pakistan should be. It is often noticed that it is the media, not the government or the opposition, that is setting the direction of change,”
he said.

Published in The Express Tribune, October 26th, 2011.

Addition burden of Balouchistan, many issues going on:
unstable party, radicalisation/extremists of society, corruption, price-hike, energy and food shortages, injustice, ethnic and sectarian violence, rise of non-state actors, Afghan Jihad, inconclusive military operations in Waziristan, floods, natural hazards and fight against terrorism. Externally, Kashmir and water issues, NATO and ISAF forces in Afghanistan, US-Iran conflict, worldwide economic crunch, regional and international challenges are major problems,

Is Pakistan heading to collapse state? Real chance possible....

I take this article with a grain of salt to be honest. Looks like a masala piece to me.

Balochistan unrest: Pro-govt tribal elder injured in blast

QUETTA: A pro-government tribal elder was injured in a remote-controlled explosion in Balochistan’s Kohlu district on Wednesday.

According to police officials, unidentified persons planted an explosive device along the road near Wadira Balo pump and detonated it when a convoy of tribal elder Baloch Khan Marri passed by. As a result, Marri sustained splinter wounds and his car was damaged.

Police officials claimed that one of the attackers was killed when guards opened fire at the man who had taken position on top of a mountain in the area when the incident took place. The injured elder was shifted to Multan because of critical wounds.

Published in The Express Tribune, October 20th, 2011.

----------------------------------------------

Raising alarm: ‘Balochistan in a dangerous position’

QUETTA: President of the Supreme Court Bar Association (SCBA) Asma Jehangir said Balochistan’s situation has been deteriorating since the day security forces were given authority to make decisions for the province.

Addressing members of the Balochistan High Court Bar, Jahangir said Balochistan is in a relatively more dangerous position as compared to other provinces because international forces can strategically benefit from its geographical position. “Divisions have been created amongst people as sectarian killings, recoveries of mutilated bodies and target killing of Punjabi speaking people, frequently take place,” she said.

She was of the view that if Balochistan’s problems were not addressed on an immediate basis, the province will turn into an ideal piece of land for international forces to play their dirty game.

Published in The Express Tribune, September 28th, 2011.

Lahore has more people than the entire Balochistan province. The threat is there, but not as big as some people make it out to be. I believe Pakistan Army has the capability to crush the anti-pakistan forces in Balochistan. Operation in Balochistan is much more important than operation in FATA.

Balochistan is slowly and surely turning into a war-zone like FATA. Already Balochis are being massacred by the Pakistani forces, and now we have a deadly cocktail of religious fundamentalism committing sectarian genocide of the Shia Hazaras. Then you have Jundullah flitting in and out of Balochistan like happy hour in the cat house and causing havoc in Iran. The day won't be far when Balochistan will become the next Afghanistan for all international players(Iran, India, NATO et al.) to have a go at it. The situation is downright scary and terrifying.

Anyone who follows Balochistan profusely knows that the insurgency is slowly but surely losing its momentum. There is plenty of evidence that can be provided for that. I've read plenty of internal security intelligence reports on Balochistan. But what's the point? Someone will open up a new thread on Balochistan on exactly the same topic, & I wouldn't want to repeat myself. So please, continue.

Within the next ten years Baluchistan will be fully integrated into Pakistan.

Anyone who follows Balochistan profusely knows that the insurgency is slowly but surely losing its momentum. There is plenty of evidence that can be provided for that. I've read plenty of internal security intelligence reports on Balochistan. But what's the point? Someone will open up a new thread on Balochistan on exactly the same topic, & I wouldn't want to repeat myself. So please, continue.

I second that Bilal. Someone who knows Balochistan and doesn't has his own "motives" unlike a Bharati can easily guess that BLA like it's past is going for another failure. And things are improving. Even Baloch nationalists who didn't participated in previous elections like Talal Bugti or even Akhtar Mengal are now preparing to participate in coming elections. OP obviously is known for his a bit immature behavior.

Lahore has more people than the entire Balochistan province. The threat is there, but not as big as some people make it out to be. I believe Pakistan Army has the capability to crush the anti-pakistan forces in Balochistan. Operation in Balochistan is much more important than operation in FATA.

Come on. Behave sensibly. No operation is needed in Balochistan. You can't send a whole military just because a few dozen or if I exaggerate a bit, a few hundred thugs are involve in anti-state activities. Police and para-military should be used for that.

And obviously integrating Balochistan in Pakistan should be the first priority. Much important than any operation.

The ground situation seems entirely different to me ; On one hand Media is severely restricted even to get correct estimate of extra-judicial killings by Pakistani security forces and also disappearances due to state personnel. If the situation persists, then the next hammer to fall may very well be on Balochistan.

The ground situation seems entirely different to me ; On one hand Media is severely restricted even to get correct estimate of extra-judicial killings by Pakistani security forces and also disappearances due to state personnel. If the situation persists, then the next hammer to fall after East Pakistan may very well be on Balochistan.

Wishful thinking with your Indian bias, but the reports of extra-judicial killings are in the Musharaf era and no longer relevant.

The ground situation seems entirely different to me ; On one hand Media is severely restricted even to get correct estimate of extra-judicial killings by Pakistani security forces and also disappearances due to state personnel. If the situation persists, then the next hammer to fall after East Pakistan may very well be on Balochistan.

Hazaron khwahishain aisi kai har khwahish par dum niklai.;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom