What's new

Balkan Migration Route No Longer Exists

proka89

Reaction score
Country
Serbia
The Balkan migration route no longer exists, said Slovenia's Prime Minister, Miro Cerar on Tuesday, following the marathon conference of the EU leaders and Turkey in Brussels, dedicated to the refugee crisis.

Although that the summit's final document did not encompass the previously prepared conclusion that 'the western Balkan migration route is closed,' rather that 'the refugee influx has been completed', the Slovenian leader nevertheless confirmed that all the countries located along the route, including Macedonia, are to allow only persons bearing official documents cross their official borders.

"Yes, the conclusion is rephrased, but the sense remains, and that is - the Balkan route for illegal migration no longer exists. This is a clear message that this informal summit has sent to the illegal migrants and smugglers," Cerar pointed.

According to the Slovenian prime minister, this agreement that needs to be rendered precise in the next ten days, before the European Council summit is held on March 17, no more migrants are to be received by European countries.

In this regard, Cerar confirmed that Slovenia will fully apply the Schengen rules on entering the country as of Tuesday, i.e. that in only the persons who have the necessary documents to enter the zone will be allowed in.

The message of the Slovenian premier means that Macedonia too is expected to fully close the illegal border crossings with Greece on Tuesday, and that only people who have valid documents, such as a passport and a visa, will be permitted to enter.

In compliance with the EU-Turkey agreement, the illegal migrants stationed on Greek territory, including those thousands of migrants stranded at the border with Macedonia, are to be sent back by Greek authorities to the Greek islands, from where, with NATO's and FRONTEX' assistance, they will be returned to Turkey.

- See more at: Slovenia's Prime Minister: Balkan Migration Route No Longer Exists - Independent.mk
Interior ministry: Serbia to introduce reciprocal measures

The Serbian interior ministry said in a statement on Tuesday evening after Slovenia's decision to shut down the Balkan route that it would coordinate all migration-related measures with the EU and implement them on its southern and eastern borders.

BELGRADE - The Serbian interior ministry said in a statement on Tuesday evening after Slovenia's decision to shut down the Balkan route that it would coordinate all migration-related measures with the EU and implement them on its southern and eastern borders.

Croatia has informed the Serbian interior ministry that Slovenia, a member of the EU, will start enforcing the new regime for entering the Schengen zone and will not receive migrants without valid visas and passports as of midnight, says the statement.

This practically means the closing of the Balkan route, the ministry said.

With the new regime in place, Serbia cannot allow to become a collection center for refugees so it will coordinate all measures with the EU and reciprocally put them in place on its southern and eastern borders, toward Macedonia and Bulgaria, the ministry said.

TANJUG | Interior ministry: Serbia to introduce reciprocal measures

Refugee crisis: Fears of violence in border camps if 'Balkan route' into Europe is closed

In Idomeni everyone wants to know if the rumour that they are all being sent back to Turkey could be true.
Maan al-Habi, a Syrian living in the foetid Idomeni border camp between Greece and Macedonia, was unequivocal. He would not be taken back to Turkey.

“I survived all this to get here, with my wife and child,” said the 36-year-old from Damascus. “I will not go. I can see there will be trouble. Lots of the younger men here will not go.”

As night fell on Monday, the mood in Idomeni was getting bleaker. Storm clouds again threatened to turn the camp at the start of the so-called “Balkan route” to northern Europe into a rancid mud bath.

Everyone wanted to know whether the rumour that they were all being sent back to Turkey could be true.

And still, the Macedonian border guards appeared impervious to all and any documents. The border remained closed to those seeking to travel further into Europe.

Food queues appeared longer than the days before, and the pungent smell of a refugee camp seemed stronger. The sense of desperation and despondency was new.

Many officials from non-governmental organisations told The Independent they fear the situation might become violent if migrants at the sprawling camp were told the border was closed and were ordered back to Turkey.

One senior aid official, who asked not to be named, said: “Safety will become an issue and we might have to pull out.”

More at:
Refugee crisis: Fears of violence in border camps if 'Balkan route' into Europe is closed | Europe | News | The Independent

The Balkan migration route no longer exists, said Slovenia's Prime Minister, Miro Cerar on Tuesday, following the marathon conference of the EU leaders and Turkey in Brussels, dedicated to the refugee crisis.

Although that the summit's final document did not encompass the previously prepared conclusion that 'the western Balkan migration route is closed,' rather that 'the refugee influx has been completed', the Slovenian leader nevertheless confirmed that all the countries located along the route, including Macedonia, are to allow only persons bearing official documents cross their official borders.

"Yes, the conclusion is rephrased, but the sense remains, and that is - the Balkan route for illegal migration no longer exists. This is a clear message that this informal summit has sent to the illegal migrants and smugglers," Cerar pointed.

According to the Slovenian prime minister, this agreement that needs to be rendered precise in the next ten days, before the European Council summit is held on March 17, no more migrants are to be received by European countries.

In this regard, Cerar confirmed that Slovenia will fully apply the Schengen rules on entering the country as of Tuesday, i.e. that in only the persons who have the necessary documents to enter the zone will be allowed in.

The message of the Slovenian premier means that Macedonia too is expected to fully close the illegal border crossings with Greece on Tuesday, and that only people who have valid documents, such as a passport and a visa, will be permitted to enter.

In compliance with the EU-Turkey agreement, the illegal migrants stationed on Greek territory, including those thousands of migrants stranded at the border with Macedonia, are to be sent back by Greek authorities to the Greek islands, from where, with NATO's and FRONTEX' assistance, they will be returned to Turkey.

- See more at: Slovenia's Prime Minister: Balkan Migration Route No Longer Exists - Independent.mk
Interior ministry: Serbia to introduce reciprocal measures

The Serbian interior ministry said in a statement on Tuesday evening after Slovenia's decision to shut down the Balkan route that it would coordinate all migration-related measures with the EU and implement them on its southern and eastern borders.

BELGRADE - The Serbian interior ministry said in a statement on Tuesday evening after Slovenia's decision to shut down the Balkan route that it would coordinate all migration-related measures with the EU and implement them on its southern and eastern borders.

Croatia has informed the Serbian interior ministry that Slovenia, a member of the EU, will start enforcing the new regime for entering the Schengen zone and will not receive migrants without valid visas and passports as of midnight, says the statement.

This practically means the closing of the Balkan route, the ministry said.

With the new regime in place, Serbia cannot allow to become a collection center for refugees so it will coordinate all measures with the EU and reciprocally put them in place on its southern and eastern borders, toward Macedonia and Bulgaria, the ministry said.

TANJUG | Interior ministry: Serbia to introduce reciprocal measures

Refugee crisis: Fears of violence in border camps if 'Balkan route' into Europe is closed

In Idomeni everyone wants to know if the rumour that they are all being sent back to Turkey could be true.
Maan al-Habi, a Syrian living in the foetid Idomeni border camp between Greece and Macedonia, was unequivocal. He would not be taken back to Turkey.

“I survived all this to get here, with my wife and child,” said the 36-year-old from Damascus. “I will not go. I can see there will be trouble. Lots of the younger men here will not go.”

As night fell on Monday, the mood in Idomeni was getting bleaker. Storm clouds again threatened to turn the camp at the start of the so-called “Balkan route” to northern Europe into a rancid mud bath.

Everyone wanted to know whether the rumour that they were all being sent back to Turkey could be true.

And still, the Macedonian border guards appeared impervious to all and any documents. The border remained closed to those seeking to travel further into Europe.

Food queues appeared longer than the days before, and the pungent smell of a refugee camp seemed stronger. The sense of desperation and despondency was new.

Many officials from non-governmental organisations told The Independent they fear the situation might become violent if migrants at the sprawling camp were told the border was closed and were ordered back to Turkey.

One senior aid official, who asked not to be named, said: “Safety will become an issue and we might have to pull out.”

More at:
Refugee crisis: Fears of violence in border camps if 'Balkan route' into Europe is closed | Europe | News | The Independent
Serbia should build a fence on the Albanian border. That's where they're going to go next if they can't get into Bulgaria or Macedonia.

Serbia should build a fence on the Albanian border. That's where they're going to go next if they can't get into Bulgaria or Macedonia.

Serbian president already authorized the army to help the police with border protection. MoD is authorized to put army on full alert, if needed. Plus Serbia is way more capable to protect our borders than Macedonia. And we don't have common border with Albania since 1999, since our forces were forced to leave Kosovo. But our army and Gendarmerie are controlling Ground Security Zone on our administrative line with Kosovo. There are 21 camps and security points of Serbian army and 42 camps and security points of Serbian police and Gendarmerie in Ground Security Zone.

Serbian president already authorized the army to help the police with border protection. MoD is authorized to put army on full alert, if needed. Plus Serbia is way more capable to protect our borders than Macedonia. And we don't have common border with Albania since 1999, since our forces were forced to leave Kosovo. But our army and Gendarmerie are controlling Ground Security Zone on our administrative line with Kosovo. There are 21 camps and security points of Serbian army and 42 camps and security points of Serbian police and Gendarmerie in Ground Security Zone.
I see. I thought the Presevo valley directly bordered Albania.

I see. I thought the Presevo valley directly bordered Albania.
yy5PsvN.png

Deal is;
- EU will be able to ship immigrants back to Turkey, from Turkey non-Syrian immigrants will be shipped back to their countries. EU will cover the expenses.
- For every illegal Syrian immigrant that has been shipped back, EU will take one Syrian from the refugee camps in Turkey.
- 3 +3 Billion € for Turkey
- Lifting Visas for Turkish citizens in June.

Good deal IMO.

Refugees still flow to Idomeni camp despite border closure
Published March 09, 2016

IDOMENI, Greece – Still more refugees were arriving at the overflowing Idomeni camp on the Greek-Macedonian border Wednesday despite the gates being shut following a European Union-Turkey summit and a decision by countries further up the Balkan route to allow through only people with valid EU visas.

Heavy rain increased the misery of up to 14,000 people in the camp, which long ago surpassed capacity, leaving thousands to pitch small tents donated by aid groups in surrounding fields and along railway tracks.

Despite the border closure and increasingly poor conditions, dozens of new arrivals were walking the more than 15 kilometer (10 miles) from a nearby petrol station, men, women and children using flimsy colored ponchos to ward off the worst of the rain and humidity to reach Europe's largest refugee bottleneck.

In the camp and surrounding fields, thousands sheltered from the driving morning rain any way they could. They huddled in tents pitched in increasingly muddy and swampy fields, trying to insulate their temporary homes by spreading blankets and plastic sheeting over the top. Some used the shiny space blankets they were handed by rescuers after arriving on Greek islands from the nearby Turkish shores in rickety boats.

By the border gate, through which nobody has passed since dawn on Monday, men, women and children slept in a large tent for those who had reached the front of the queue to cross, huddled on the ground and covered by grey blankets handed out by the United Nations refugee agency. A colorful banner made with clothes, blankets and strips of cloth hung on the border fence above coils of razor wire, reading "Made in EU."

The mood was grim and confused, with many seemingly in denial that this muddy field is where their onward journey ends, far from the better lives they dreamed of in more prosperous European countries such as Germany.

"I don't know anything," said 17-year-old Ahmed Merza from Qamishli in Syria, who has been in Idomeni for eight days with his sister. "This is bad news for us — like a bomb."

Like thousands around him, Merza wanted to go to Germany. "I'm sad," he said, sheltering from the rain beneath a tree. He didn't consider staying in Greece to be a viable option, saying that "Greece is a poor country, for us and for the people."

For others, the conditions were just too much to bear, and about 200 people boarded buses bound south for refugee camps in and around Athens or other parts of Greece. Greek officials have said they will not evacuate the camp by force.

"This is horrible, unbelievable, unbearable. There is war in my country, and they are closing the border," said Mahmoud Hassan, a 23-year-old Syrian. "Where are we supposed to go? Please if you can do anything - help us. The situation is very, very terrible."

Refugees still flow to Idomeni camp despite border closure | Fox News

Just listen to these people. They are all like: "It's war in my country, but Greece is to poor for our taste, so we would like to go to Germany, France, or Scandinavian countries." Do they even realize how ridiculous that sounds? If you are a refuge you should be happy that any country will accept you and your family, provide you with food and shelter, medical care...You don't get to choose and be picky.

Refugees still flow to Idomeni camp despite border closure
Published March 09, 2016

Refugees still flow to Idomeni camp despite border closure | Fox News

Just listen to these people. They are all like: "It's war in my country, but Greece is to poor for our taste, so we would like to go to Germany, France, or Scandinavian countries." Do they even realize how ridiculous that sounds? If you are a refuge you should be happy that any country will accept you and your family, provide you with food and shelter, medical care...You don't get to choose and be picky.
Who's fault is that,Europe should never have opened the borders for refugees.
Merkel and her big mouth.

Deal is;
- EU will be able to ship immigrants back to Turkey, from Turkey non-Syrian immigrants will be shipped back to their countries. EU will cover the expenses.
- For every illegal Syrian immigrant that has been shipped back, EU will take one Syrian from the refugee camps in Turkey.

Good deal IMO.
A better idea would be to just close the borders and let Greece deal with it. Merkel would scream bloody murder but some Eastern countries thankfully have the balls to say no to her.

A better idea would be to just close the borders and let Greece deal with it. Merkel would scream bloody murder but some Eastern countries thankfully have the balls to say no to her.
- Not a better idea for us.....

- This immigrant crisis had been good opportunity for us....now EU has stopped screaming about democracy, human rights, etc.....

HUNGARY DECLARES STATE OF EMERGENCY AS MIGRANT CRISIS TURNS UNPREDICTABLE | European Press Agency

The Hungarian government is declaring a state of emergency concerning migration for the entire area of the country, Minister of Interior Sándor Pintér announced in Budapest on Wednesday.

According to the cabinet, this is necessary because of the unknown effect the closure of the migration route through the Balkans will have on migrants. Over the past weeks, an average of 100 individuals have been entering Hungary illegally through its southern border. However, the Balkans route has been closed since Tuesday and both Serbia and Croatia have shut down their borders.

The announcement was made by Hungarian Minister of Interior Sándor Pintér on Wednesday (photo: Tibor Illyés/MTI)

Under the decision, additional police and army forces will be deployed to the country’s borders, with 1500 soldiers taking part in the operation. Mr. Pintér revealed that Hungary is ready to seal off its border with Romania if necessary, although the government believes that this is currently not the case.

Since Tuesday midnight, reports have claimed that no migrants have been entering Serbia or crossing from Serbia to Croatia. The last train towards Serbia, carrying 437 migrants, departed from Macedonia on Monday.

Deal is;

Good deal IMO.

I might not well informed about the subject but if I understood.
-
So for every Syrian illegal migrants sent back to Turkey,we would have to take 1 in those camps there ? If we send back 25.000 Syrians,we will have to take 25.000 Syrians ?
-
The Turks asked for €3Bn and now for €3Bn more ?
-
And then getting flooded by turks ?

Very bad deal,or I understood nothing about this.

I might not well informed about the subject but if I understood.
-
So for every Syrian illegal migrants sent back to Turkey,we would have to take 1 in those camps there ? If we send back 25.000 Syrians,we will have to take 25.000 Syrians ?
-
The Turks asked for €3Bn and now for €3Bn more ?
-
And then getting flooded by turks ?

Very bad deal,or I understood nothing about this.

Exactly like that.
1)Yeah, you will take refugees from camps in TUrkey when you ship illegal immigrants... knowing that "They will spend lot's of money and effort to reach Europe only to be ship back to Turkey in a brink of eye but if they had stayed in the camps they would have higher chance to be accepted as refugee"....so in the long run, flux of the refugees will be cut down."

^^^ This only applies to Syrian refugees, others will be shipped back to their country.

2) 6 Billion € is nothing for EU...you paid hundreds of billions of € for Greece.

3) But i don't think you will be get flooded by Turks...i saw a poll. Turkish people want to go;
1-) Spain
2-) Italy
3-) Amsterdam

Even wife was saying "Let's go to Venice when the visa is lifted".....

But i couldn't say the same for the Kurds...... but i don't think that will matter to you as you love Kurds.

Deal is;

Good deal IMO.

Isn't it also the unfreezing/reopening of some Turkey-EU chapters?

Back
Top Bottom