What's new

Bahria Town & Gated Communities Are Destroying Our Cities

Reaction score
Country
Norway
~ Are Housing Schemes Destroying Our Urban History? ~
27331543_1797459276980715_8365343406731786650_n.jpg

Our urban neighbourhoods have always been named to reflect our culture or history - places like Gulberg, Gulshan-e-Iqbal, Nazimabad, Anarkali, Lyari, Faizabad, Hayatabad etc. All these places have culture, history and soul about them. Nowadays however, places like "Paragon City", "Eden Avenue", "Ideal Garden Housing Scheme", "DHA City", "Bahria Town", "Arian City", "Top City" seem to be the norm. Does this not seem problematic? "Bahria Town" is not actually a town, it's a private company named "Bahria Town Private Limited". Why are company names replacing the names of villages and localities which have stood for over 500 years? At this rate Lyari might be one day renamed to Coca Cola Town and Thokar Niaz Beg might be renamed to Pepsi City.

For many of you, this might not be a big deal, but for me and anyone who loves history, this is a tragedy in the making and it needs to stop. Our urban history is being destroyed like this. Please read the following and your feedback would be appreciated.

Housing society names are generally very ignorantly conceived. The majority of them are actually names of companies and not actually "towns" or "cities". And nowhere else in Pakistan is this more evident than in Lahore.

Back in the 1950s and 60s, visionary and educated people were administering the Lahore Development Authority (LDA). All urban localities of Lahore were named after the historic village or named to reflect the local culture. In fact, it was forbidden to destroy any village. Any new housing development would have to build around the village and keep the village name intact.

Over 250 years ago, Lahore city only consisted of the "Androon Shehr" or Walled City. Outside the wall, Lahore was surrounded by farmland and small villages. Over the next 250 years to present time, Lahore expanded beyond its walls, and many of these surrounding villages were absorbed.

When LDA was formed, an emphasis was made to keep these names alive. It is for this reason why Lahore has so much character to it...for example, places like:

- Anarkali
- Badami Bagh
- Gawalmandi
- Daroghawala
- Shahdara
- Heera Mandi
- Mughulpura
- Ichra
- Mazang
- Baghbanpura
- Thokar Niaz Baig
- Kot Lakhpat
- Babu Sabu
- etc....

When Lahore expanded east of Canal Road and towards Thokar in the 1970s, new housing subdivisions were constructed and given names by the LDA to reflect the local culture, such as:

- Gulberg
- Samanabad
- Gulshan-e-Ravi
- Gulshan-e-Iqbal
- Ghaziabad
- Nabipura
- Batapur
- Sabzazar
- etc...

The most interesting is Batapur. When the Bata Shoe Factory opened in east Lahore, the company also constructed a new housing estate adjacent to the factory. Instead of giving it a soulless name like "Bata Employees Cooperative Housing Society" or "Bata City" or "Bata Town", they named it Batapur...a name that is still used today. This was not only a smart marketing move, but it also respected the local culture and language.

Then the 1980s arrived...and it was during this period that Lahore began changing its naming philosophy. Instead of respecting the local culture, Anglo names were given to new housing developments, such as:

- Faisal Town
- Garden Town
- Muslim Town
- Model Town
- Johar Town
- Firdous Colony
- Islamia Park
- New Garden Town

These names have no soul to them whatsoever. Despite the fact Urdu and Punjabi words already exist, the Anglo terms were adopted. For example, the word for TOWN in Urdu and Punjabi would be any of the following:

- Abad (آباد)
- Abadi (آبادی)
- Pur (پور)
- Pura (پورہ)
- Mahalla (محله)

In Urdu, there is no word for colony as this was adopted from English. However, Urdu (as is the case for all other Pakistani languages) has traditionally always borrowed from Persian, and it should have applied in this case. The term for "colony" or "town" in Persian is Shahrak (شهرک). For example, Tehran's "Qarb Town" is referred to as "Shahrak-e Gharb". Similar names could have easily applied to places like:

- Faisal Town as Shahrak-e-Faisal (شهرک فیصل)
- Garden Town as Shahrak-e-Bagh (شهرک باغ)
- Johar Town as Shahrak-e-Johar (شهرک جوہر)
- Firdous Colony as Shahrak-e-Firdous (شهرک فردوس)

Then words like "Park" and "New" were introduced, despite the fact these terms already had an Urdu and Punjabi equivalent.

- Park is Bagh (باغ)
- New is Naya (نیا) or Nei (نئی)

Why "town", "colony", "park" and "new" were introduced by LDA is unknown. But this is the LDA we're talking about...they're not the smartest bunch of people. Then in the 1990s, housing society names started getting more bizarre.

"Defence Housing Authority" became a popular destination for the rich and elite of Lahore. But does this actually sound welcoming and residential? Does it have any history to it? Is it associated with our culture? The answer is obviously no. To somebody who is not familiar with this place, it would sound more like an administrative body (LDA, CDA etc.) or an industrial area. What's even more disturbing were the number of villages that were destroyed building Defence, Lahore. The only village which survived is Islampura, which to this day exists within Lahore Cantonment.

I have many friends who live in Defence and many of them refer to Defence as "DHA", which I find silly. Islamabadis don't say they live in "Capital Development Authority" or "CDA"? Karachites don't say they live in "Karachi Metropolitan Corporation" or "KMC" either.

Defence also introduced the term "Phase". Not only was this a waste of breath saying, it also clogged up our road signs. Defence could have learned from Shadman, built 80 years earlier, as it too was divided into phases. However, Shadman simply uses numerals as "Shadman 1", "Shadman 2" while Defence uses "DHA Phase 1", "DHA Phase 2", etc. Odd, but it gets worse.

As you move more south from Defence, you come across even more weird names, each with its own "phases" such as:

- LDA City
- LDA Avenue
- Wapda Town
- Lake City
- Abdalian Cooperative Housing Society
- NFC Employees Cooperative Housing Society
- Bahria Town
- Architects Engineers Housing Society
- Audit & Accounts Housing Society
- Millat Tractors Employees Housing Society

LDA now puts more emphasis on naming these places after housing schemes, rather than the historic neighbourhood or village they were built in. For example:

- LDA City was built over Kahna Nau
- Wapda Town over Ali Raza Abad
- Garden Town over Devasabad and Mariyan
- Bahria Town over Maraka
- Faisal Town over Mochi Pura
- LDA Avenue over Chung
- Model Town and Township over Pind Rajputan and Kot Lakhpat

Sadly this is becoming a trend across the country and if you're concerned about history, then you should be outraged and should lodge a protest with your respective development authority.

I support new housing developments 100% as we need better housing. But I cannot support naming entire new localities after ridiculous sounding housing developments as they do not reflect our culture.

Names like Gawalmandi, Mazung, Jallo, Gulberg, Shah Jamal all mean something to Lahoris. They have a soul to them and rich long history. "Defence Housing Authority Phase 8" means nothing as does "Bahria Town". They are hallow, soulless, suburban black holes.

LDA should revert back to its old naming ideology, as the present one is just destroying our urban history.

I also posted this a few months ago on my FB page.

Oh and by the way...speaking of this garbage company called Bahria Town Private Limited, here's the official website showing Pakistan. Apparently Gilgit-Baltistan and AJK are not part of Pakistan. This is the mentality of this company. They don't care about our values, culture, language or country. They are in the business to make money and that's it.

I sent them two emails with a screenshot telling them to change their map. They refused to even respond.

http://www.bahriatown.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=153

i1Rx81b.jpg

Bahria Town is the worst culprit. They steal land from poor people, erect walls and gates, so there bastard elites can live in seclusion. They put up on English road signs so "commoners" can't understand. This is the mentality of Malik Riaz and his company.

Of course, Bahria Town Private Limited needs to entertain its culture-less sheep residents. If I were an unfortunate resident of this unfortunate housing scheme, I'd protest this "DAN Zoo" (animal jail) and they fact they look down upon commoners...erecting walls and gates all over the place like its some bloody fort.

This company trying to build this false facade that "if you live in Bahria Town then you don't really live in Pakistan". This is the mentality I have noticed with a few of my colleagues who live in that blackhole of a society. They actually think they're better than others...

No matter how many English only road signs they put up, how many Eiffel Towers they put up, how many zoos they make, they'll still be just another random housing scheme in Pakistan, desperately pretending to be a "town" in the UAE.

Zoo = چڑیاگھر

Just thought I'd bring that up.

32703936_1438457602923004_3415252956059009024_o.jpg

Gated communities are ok , time to modernize naming city areas

Machar Town
Bhansa Road or Bhains Colony
New Town , old town
Lal Baba Gali
Jado wala Town
Bank Town
Bakri Mandi
Sabzi Market Gali

Does not makes sense :unsure:

Easier to name roads , based on Numbers / Meaningful names

I am good with

Name of City : XYZ

District 01
  • Street 1 East
  • Street 1 West
District 02
  • Street 2 East
  • Street 2 West
District 03
  • Street 3 East
  • Street 3 West

Industrial Zone 01
  • Street 4 East
  • Street 4 West

And as the city continues to grow the number value continues to rise

Last edited:
It just goes to show that the average IQ of Pakistani has dropped ten folds since 1970s.... (Wonder who to blame for that hmmm)

Bahria towns are not even in the city, they are usually built in land which previously was not that valuable. Why do you think they are in grasp of the middle class.

Gated communities are ok , time to modernize naming city areas

Machar Town
Bhansa Road or Bhains Colony
New Town , old town
Lal Baba Gali
Jado wala Town
Bank Town
Bakri Mandi
Sabzi Market Gali

Does not makes sense :unsure:

Easier to name roads , based on Numbers / Meaningful names

I am good with

Name of City : XYZ

District 01
  • Street 1 East
  • Street 1 West
District 02
  • Street 2 East
  • Street 2 West
District 03
  • Street 3 East
  • Street 3 West

Industrial Zone 01
  • Street 4 East
  • Street 4 West

And as the city continues to grow the number value continues to rise

This is called local government. It's already in place. For example Peshawar District is now a "City District" under the KP Local Government Act and divided into 4 Tehsils (Peshawar I, II, III, IV) which are further divided into neighbourhood councils. All the names reflect the true historical neighbourhoods of Peshawar. Well done to PTI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neighbourhoods_of_Peshawar

Under the Punjab Local Government Act, Lahore District is a "Metropolitan Area" and is divided into eight zones (Allama Iqbal, Aziz Bhatti, Data Gunj Baksh, Gulberg, Nishtar, Ravi, Samanabad, Shalimar, Wahga) which are further divided into Union Councils.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neighbourhoods_of_Lahore

The problem with LDA is that they refuse to emphasis the Union Council, and instead label these private housing schemes on roads. Why LDA does this is beyond my knowledge. If you look at the Google Maps of Lahore, it is an absolute mess of names.

Also, the labeling of roads is a complete mess as well.

This is a valid concern.

Preservation of cultural heritage, preservation of nature and greenery, caring for the environment, small things like this are not taken seriously. Chronic carelessness.

All boils down to incompetency of both the government institutions and the people.

Nothing is every done efficiently. Always a problem somewhere whether that be with planning, maintaining the green environment, or preserving cultural heritage. The finer details always ignored.

Anyone who cares about cultural heritage and a healthy environment as well as the aesthetic would find this to be problematic. Even our historical architecture is not being preserved and the public is ruining and turning it filthy or destroying it.

This is a valid concern.

Preservation of cultural heritage, preservation of nature and greenery, caring for the environment, small things like this are not taken seriously. Chronic carelessness.

All boils down to incompetency of both the government institutions and the people.

Nothing is every done efficiently. Always a problem somewhere whether that be with planning, maintaining the green environment, or preserving cultural heritage. The finer details always ignored.

Anyone who cares about cultural heritage and a healthy environment as well as the aesthetic would find this to be problematic. Even our historical architecture is not being preserved and the public is ruining and turning it filthy or destroying it.
Bahria Town, DHA, etc, is the result of state/gov't gap in managing public affairs (like maintaining urban infrastructure, expanding livable spaces in sustainable ways, etc). If PPP's going to treat Karachi like Larkana (just think about how messed up that statement is), then yes, people will leave to literally greener grass. First, they'll go to the housing establishments. When those tank (and they will), then they'll go overseas.

It's the mentality of Pakistani society -- starting with the top -- about how things will just get done for them without any real sense of putting in the effort and building your own legacy. This isn't even a corruption issue. The elites of the West are also corrupt, but the 1% can at least build something for society (i.e., corporations, GDP growth, etc).

Bahria Town, DHA, etc, is the result of state/gov't gap in managing public affairs (like maintaining urban infrastructure, expanding livable spaces in sustainable ways, etc). If PPP's going to treat Karachi like Larkana (just think about how messed up that statement is), then yes, people will leave to literally greener grass. First, they'll go to the housing establishments. When those tank (and they will), then they'll go overseas.

It's the mentality of Pakistani society -- starting with the top -- about how things will just get done for them without any real sense of putting in the effort and building your own legacy. This isn't even a corruption issue. The elites of the West are also corrupt, but the 1% can at least build something for society (i.e., corporations, GDP growth, etc).
Seems like we are spiralling towards self-destruction and there's no one to prevent it

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom