What's new

Backlash in China over draft rule on permanent residency for foreigners

Chinese have a very high inclination to socialize with only with other chinese, during my stay in germany I have noticed this trend, people of all other ethnicites do socialize with people of different ethnicities but chinese people always prefer to stick to other chinese people, it seems like they are very close knit ethnicity compared to other ethnicities in the world.
So do Japanese, Koreans and Vietnamese.

May be it is north east asian thing, but people from other regions of the world do like to socialize with people of different ethnicities when living in a foreign country.
I agree, east Asians' cultures are so different from the west had never be colonized by the west, thus never adopted western mentality and language, the rest of the world was largely colonized by the west for hundreds of years and with long time people to people interaction, they became similar in many aspects.

I agree, east Asians' cultures are so different from the west had never be colonized by the west, thus never adopted western mentality and language, the rest of the world was largely colonized by the west for hundreds of years and with long time people to people interaction, they became similar in many aspects.

Not a correct analysis. I see far more western dress etc in far east than say south asia or middle east. And what do you mean not colonized.

Not a correct analysis. I see far more western dress etc in far east than say south asia or middle east. And what do you mean not colonized.
Clothing is just one part and very superficial, what matters is in people's mind. and the language they speak, especially among the ruling elite class.

So chinese can settle all over the globe but not the other way around?
The government says yes to foreigners, but the general public say no, they are working on a compromise now.

Ask yourself is china free of corruption. Generals and senior politicians have been caught with huge amounts of money. Alot of people especially in high positions say they love their country but go on to steal. You only need foreign citizens to respect their country they live in. The point I am making is to treat people as individuals, instead of making sweeping statements.
My actual position is similar with yours, having foreigners is not a bad thing and it's wrong to stereotype. People in high positions, especially government/educated elite are more pro foreigners than middle and working class. I may not agree but I can sympathise deeply with those against the draft. I come from the northwest region in China, and people there tend to be more conservative. I know how hard life there can be and how fast improvements take place. I also know why they (and people like them) are not happy. Who would listen to them and give them a fair hearing besides other Chinese? Certainly not "foreign analysts" after their own interests claiming "liberalism for thee, not for me".

What you are actually seeing with this draft is a government proposing new legislation and seeking feedback from its people. Criticism is huge and emotions are strong (that's why I always laugh when people say you can't criticise the government in China).

What I see is a passionate discourse between people who love their country dearly.

The government says yes to foreigners, but the general public say no, they are working on a compromise now.

It is same in every country, it is always government policies that matter at the end of the day, the general public in every country don't like to see ever increasing number of immigrants in their country but what matters at the end is how the government enforces its policies. Public is driven by emotions and a strong desire to resist any change to demographic status quo, but the governments policies are usually based on long term realities which would be inevitable in the future.

It is same in every country, it is always government policies that matter at the end of the day, the general public in every country don't like to see ever increasing number of immigrants in their country but what matters at the end is how the government enforces its policies. Public is driven by emotions and a strong desire to resist any change to demographic status quo, but the governments policies are usually based on long term realities which would be inevitable in the future.

Well, other than xenophobia, in China it is compounded by the fact that they had a strict one-child policy for decades.

Many of them feel that hundreds of millions of families have been 'sacrificed' to rein in China's population since the 80s, only to know now that they are giving up 'space' for foreigners who, like in other countries, are stereotyped to be more likely to commit crime.

What is Chinese culture??

Spitting & publicly urinating?? Eating endangered, exotic & deadly animals?? Desecrating cultural sites at home and abroad??

Or is it wearing Western clothing all the time...casual and in business? :D

More than half of "Chinese Culture" has been destroyed by Mao, the Communists and the CCP...
Chinese culture is spreading deadly virus (Sars, nCov) to other nations . Look how terrible Italy, Iran now, all started bcs Cnese businessmen came to their countries :cheesy:

See how ethnically and culturally diverse UK is today, and I don't know it's good or bad for UK's future, but in most Chinese eyes that would be a total disaster if Beijing is becoming looking like it.

See how ethnically and culturally diverse UK is today, and I don't know it's good or bad for UK's future, but in most Chinese eyes that would be a total disaster if Beijing is becoming looking like it.

It depends on which kind of foreigners you let hin. I think a migration policy like the US or Australia are good for the economy, if you only let people in, who are willing to work and to improve themself and the country.

In contrast the German migration policy just sucks ***. You all know what I mean.

There is a updated list with a further question including witnessing or experiencing racism. The results change slightly.

https://businesstech.co.za/news/lifestyle/116644/the-most-racist-countries-in-the-world/

Indians and Arabs are still the most racist. For a consecutive time, Chinese are not even among the top 20 racists even though some people think we are number 1. Actually prefer ground realities than surveys and my general experience is most Chinese are very tolerant of differences, more so than many countries.

It might be similar to Chinese Australians. The republican Chinese Americans I know are recent immigrants from China and their interests are more aligned with conservative parties. Most Chinese Americans with more liberal values tend to be American born, often there for several generations and not necessarily from mainland China.

Actually Itachi's argument about hypocrisy is irrelevant,most Chinese protesting the draft live in China and will never consider migrating to other countries. Don't even know why he brought up SE Asians... minus Filipinos and Viets, they aren't huge sources of migrants.

It's interesting that most of Chinese arguments aren't targeting westerners or high income foreigners but towards people from "black and green" countries. I think most Chinese on PDF (including me) feel they might be a little overzealous but then again, I live overseas so how can I condemn them?

They are right that no foreigner will ever love China like they do. They just love their country too much. Loving country and compatriots is not a crime.

AGREED. No-one is as racist as indians are. They are by far the number 1 racists in the world. They have a genocidal, Nazi hatred towards Pakistanis and Muslims. Even the ones on PDF show this hatred. Why they are not banned is beyond me.

Nearly every Chinese woman I see seem to have a white boyfriend/husband.

All the good looking Chinese women get the ugly white guy. It’s hilarious to see.
HAHA so true but not just Chinese, Asian women in general. This ugly white boy is such a trophy to them that they show this guy around like he’s woth a billion dollars.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom