Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Baby girl dies due to lack of beds
Saudi Gazette – Tue, Dec 10, 2013

• Saudi Gazette - Tahani gets treatment before her death. — Okaz photo

Mohammad Sameeh

Okaz/Saudi Gazette

MAKKAH - A five-month-old girl with heart problems died on Monday because there were no beds available in the intensive care unit of a hospital.

Tahani, born in Makkah's Maternity and Children Hospital with problems in her heart muscles, needed urgent and continuous medical care.

She was at her parents' home when her condition deteriorated; her father rushed her to the emergency unit of the same hospital, where she remained for 24 hours without getting the necessary care.

Tahani's father, Mohammad Al-Etaibi, said his baby was not admitted to the ICU because there were no beds available.

She died the next day. Furthermore, the hospital left her in the emergency unit and did not move her to the mortuary, because bodies can remain for six hours without decomposing.

Al-Etaibi said a nurse finally sympathized with him, and filled out the necessary papers because the mortuary employee was not available. Al-Etaibi is seeking full investigation and plans to take stiff measures against those who are responsible for the baby's death.

Fawaz Alshaikh, Makkah's Health Directorate spokesman, acknowledged that he has received a complaint from the baby's father.

All necessary investigations and procedures will be taken, and those responsible for any dereliction of duty will be held accountable, he said.

© Copyright 2013 The Saudi Gazette. All Rights Reserved. Provided by Syndigate.info, anAlbawaba.com company

Last edited:
No, the news is genuine, unfortunately. I have never heard anything similar. The health care system in KSA is otherwise really good. This is a isolated case. I have to say though that it is a unforgivable mistake and I surely expect the hospital to undergo serious reforms and the personal responsible for this to be brought to justice. A lengthy prison sentence should be in place. I know this hospital since I am from Makkah. I will do my utmost to write a complaint to the authorities. No beds? What nonsense.

This must NEVER again happen anywhere in KSA. Never.

The family have my deepest sympathy. So sad. Looks like a beautiful baby that unfortunately only knew a life of suffering.

الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا اليه راجعون

Last edited:
No, the news is genuine, unfortunately. I have never heard anything similar. The health care system in KSA is otherwise really good. This is a isolated case. I have to say though that it is a unforgivable mistake and I surely expect the hospital to undergo serious reforms and the personal responsible for this to be brought to justice.

This must NEVER again happen anywhere in KSA. Never.

The family have my deepest sympathy. So sad.
I have no doubt that the health care system in KSA is of top quality & its an isolated incident, but not disciplining/taking action aginst the ones responsible for running the hospital will set a wrong example.

I have no doubt that the health care system in KSA is of top quality & its an isolated incident, but not disciplining/taking action aginst the ones responsible for running the hospital will set a wrong example.

I think that you can be sure of this having consequences for the responsible personal and leadership of the hospital. The family have a really good case. Every sane person can see that. We the citizens of KSA and local Makkawis demand justice for the al-Otaibi family.

Otaibah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was in shock when I read the news. This must never happen again. I can only imagine if it was one of my nephews.

Sad...Incidents like these unfortunately do happen every where. RIP. And BTW...please post news if you want.. Not pictures. :(

Back
Top Bottom