What's new

Azmeri Haque from Bangladesh Steals the Spotlight at Cannes in Aarong Jamdani Saree

Bilal9

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Tribune Desk
  • Published at 10:44 pm July 11th, 2021
Azmeri Haque Badhon-74th Cannes

Azmeri Haque Badhon, centre, with her co-stars and co-workers from the film Rehana Maryam Noor at the 74th Cannes International Film Festival Courtesy

‘I always dreamt of wearing an Aarong jamdani one day at a special event’

Azmeri Haque Badhon, star of “Rehana Maryam Noor,” only the second ever Bangladeshi film to have premiered at Cannes, stole the spotlight at the 74th edition of the film festival in a stunning jamdani saree and silver jewelry designed by Bangladeshi fashion giant Aarong.

The saree worn by Badhon was a 100-thread count beige-olive half-silk jamdani saree adorned by golden “jori” thread. It takes nearly 90 days to craft one jamdani saree of this quality by handloom artisans based near Sonargaon, Bangladesh (a World Craft City recognised for its history of jamdani weaving), according to an Aarong press release.

image-2-1626021542774.jpg
Azmeri Haque Badhon wearing an Aarong jamdani saree at the 74th Cannes International Film Festival | Courtesy

“Azmeri Haque Badhon has made Bangladesh proud by elegantly representing our jamdani heritage on the red carpet. We are thrilled about the attention and interest it has brought to the craft and to have supported Badhon on her journey to Cannes,” said Tamara Hasan Abed, managing director of Aarong, which is a social enterprise of BRAC.

Aarong has historically played a significant role in preserving, promoting, and sustaining jamdani craft by holding exhibitions, fashion shows, and supporting research through the decades. Most recently, at the Jamdani Festival 2019, held in collaboration with several partners, 200 by 200 thread count khadi cotton jamdanis were produced for the first time in over a century.

image-4-1626021657724.jpg
Jamdani is a fine muslin textile craft on which specific floral motifs are famously hand woven on apparel, accessories, and textiles | Courtesy

“I always dreamt of wearing an Aarong jamdani one day at a special event. After reaching out to Aarong about my participation at Cannes, they shared their idea [about my possible wardrobe styling] and the saree, I had no doubt that this is what I would wear on the red carpet,” said actor Badhon.

“I am grateful to everyone at Aarong who had worked relentlessly on a tight timeline to put this together,” she added.

image-5-1626021772794.jpg
Jamdani was recognized as a UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage craft in 2013 | Courtesy

Jamdani is a fine muslin textile craft on which specific floral motifs are famously hand woven to make high end sarees and other women’s and men’s apparel, home textiles and accessories.

The art of jamdani refers to the specific weaving pattern crafted by skilled handloom artisans and has been practised for centuries in Bengal. It has also been recognized as a UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage craft in 2013.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Team 'Rehana Maryam Noor' dazzles Cannes red carpet
Showtime Desk
  • Published at 08:21 pm July 10th, 2021
RMN team at Cannes

Team 'Rehana Maryam Noor' gracing the Cannes red carpet on July 9

The eight member team of "Rehana Maryam Noor" earned that rare honour on July 9 at 9:40pm local time
Anyone with a ticket to a screening at the Grand Theatre Lumiere can walk past a crowded red carpet at the Cannes Film Festival. But how many get the honour of having the entire area cleared out so they can be the only ones gracing the red carpet while their names are announced for every media present to take notice? Very few.

The eight member team of "Rehana Maryam Noor" earned that rare honour on July 9 at 9:40pm local time at the plaza of Palais des Festivals. Representing the film were director Abdullah Mohammad Saad, actor Azmeri Haque Badhan, producer Jeremy Chua, executive producer Ehsanul Haque Babu, photographer Tuhin Tamizul, production designer Ali Afzal Ujjal, sound engineer Sayba Talukdar, and colourist Chinmoy Roy.

Also read: 'Rehana Maryam Noor' receives standing ovation at Cannes

The men looked sharp in tuxedos while Badhan slayed an asymmetric one shoulder lavender dress. The Muslin fusion attire was made by Bangladeshi designer Nasreen Shumi. The actor has been highlighting local designers and craft throughout her Cannes journey. On the premiere of RMN on July 7, she wore a golden Dhakai Jamdani by Aarong with an exquisite ornate blouse.

azmeri-1625928064879.jpeg
Badhan in Dhakai Jamdani after the premiere of RMN

The second directorial venture by talented filmmaker Abdullah Mohammad Saad, RMN's storyline narrates the tale of the eponymous private medical college teacher who becomes the witness to an unexpected incident while leaving the college one day. Being awestruck with the incident, Noor starts to protest against the incident and the system, as the story moves forward.

This is the first time any film from Bangladesh has been officially selected for the prestigious Cannes Film Festival. The ensemble cast of the film features prominent actors including Saberi Alam, Azmeri Haque Badhan, Afia Zahin, Kazi Sami Hasan, Afia Tabassum, Yasir Al Haque and more, in the major roles.

Reportedly she lost a lot of weight recently.

I just posted tame images, there's lots of racy ones too.

Not in thadki mood...
She is not a popular movie actress. She never really got much chance to do work in media. But this movie 'Rehana Maryam Noor' have sealed her place in Bangla movie. This is a movie every woman in this world could relate. I have seen foreign woman crying hugging her and this movie getting standing ovation in Cannes.

Last edited:
Sell good movies to China, the world's largest movie market, we welcome great movies from all over the world, and many countries' movies have gained record box office in China .
It's easy for great movies to sell for billions of RMB in China .

Sell good movies to China, the world's largest movie market, we welcome great movies from all over the world, and many countries' movies have gained record box office in China .
Is bollywood popular in China?

Not exactly popular, but there are a number of Bollywood movies that have sold billions of RMB in China, and Amir Khan is well known in China.

Chinese cinemas will show movies from many countries, and if the movie is good enough, the box office will be very good. This is something that China is much more open than the US, where the movie market has many invisible restrictions and their cinemas are reluctant to schedule movies for other countries (like China).

China's movie tickets are expensive, similar to the United States. The size of the Chinese film market is now the largest in the world, and I hope Bangladeshi films will be successful in the Chinese market.

China Cinema

Last edited:
Standing ovation at Cannes validated my 3-yr fight against patriarchy and depression: Azmeri Haque Badhon

By -
TNN
Shamayita.Chakraborty
Created: Jul 10, 2021, 12:54 IST
FACEBOOKTWITTERPINTREST
Standing ovation at Cannes validated my 3-yr fight against patriarchy and depression: Azmeri Haque Badhon

In an intricate Dhakai jamdani and a stunning metallic embellished halter-neck blouse, Bangladeshi actress Azmeri Haque Badhon was at the 74th Cannes Film Festival carrying Bengali tradition with pride. “It was so nice to wear my deshi Dhakai Jamdani at the event… (sic),” the actress said. Badhon, along with filmmaker Abdullah Mohammad Saad and other team members, attended the festival with Rehana Maryam Noor, Bangladesh’s first entry to Cannes. The film follows the life of a 37-year-old medical professor who is pitted against deep-rooted patriarchy when she decides to fight for a young student who is a victim of sexual assault. “With the standing ovation that lasted for more than five-six minutes I think, all my pains started to heal,” said Badhon, who, in a candid chat with us from France, talked about her struggle as a female performer, her battle with depression, working with Srijit Mukherji and her journey to make a mark on a global platform. Excerpts:

Your jamdani look has created quite a stir...

Yes, I chose to wear this sari at the premiere of our film. Later, at the festival photocall, I wore a maroon ensemble. We did not attend the main red carpet. It was a conscious call by Saad, our director. Traditionally, only the producer, director and the main actor/actress are invited to the opening night. Since most of our team members would have had to give it a miss, Saad decided we won’t go.

And then the film got a standing ovation at the festival...
I am proud to be able to represent Bangladesh on an international platform. The film is an achievement and also a part of the history of Bangladesh now. This milestone validates all my struggle for three years. Today, the moment not only brings pride, but heals a lot of my pain and encourages me to work more.

How did it feel when you first got to know about the selection at Cannes?

I am a patient of chronic depression. The news and excitement that came along with it, triggered my depression and I had to take medication and start therapy. Truth is, this achievement was not an easy one — I had to go through intense struggle to get here. Moreover, my character in the film, Rehana, is also very intense and demanding. When I was entering the hall, it felt like I was going to sit for an examination. Saad did not let me watch the film because of the realistic darkness that it portrays. He wanted me to watch it at the world premiere. While watching, I was in tears, reliving the gruelling shooting days and my past. Then came the magic moment. After the film was over, I noticed the audience stood up and started clapping, which went on for five-six minutes. An elderly French woman came and hugged me, crying. All my tears of pain turned into tears of joy. Later that night, we went out for dinner. While returning, I bumped into another woman. I was in a mask and I said sorry. She turned around and said, ‘Rehana?’ My pains are all gone at least for now (laughs).

What are these struggles that you speak of?

For the last three years, I have been trying to live an independent life that I owe only to myself. Before that I lived for others, abiding by all societal norms. In our society, it is taken for granted that an actress in her 30s is redundant. More so, if you have a child. For the last three years, I tried to change this perception. I got married very early, soon after I finished my medical course (Badhon is a dental surgeon, who never practised). My life became very difficult after that. In 2014, I got divorced and about three years ago, suddenly the father of my child decided to claim my daughter’s (Sayera) custody. I had to fight a legal system that favours the father as the guardian of a child over the mother. Anyway, I got the custody. My nine-year-old daughter is not travelling with me now. She is at home in Bangladesh.

In India, you have worked with Srijit Mukherji. How was your experience?

Srijit did not know me. He saw me on social media and contacted me. In Bangladesh, while casting for a grey character, directors tend to play safe. They choose seasoned actors for nuanced roles so that nothing goes wrong. Srijit trusted me. He worked with me, rehearsed with me. The shooting experience was a mix of good and bad but the dedication and commitment I saw of the director was outstanding and that was also very encouraging.

So you plan to work more in India…

I believe an artiste cannot have any geographical boundary. One has to transcend. But for me, the director is very important. I am not a trained actress. And hence, I am a director’s actress. Along with that, the character also matters a lot. If things fall into place, I will surely work in India.

banglababy in saree now you will join me and wear shalwar kameez.
Please refrain from using such words. Women irrespective of nationality should be respected. What if Bangladeshi members here refer some woman from Pakistan as 'Pakibaby' ? Would you like that? Give respect, get respect.

Please refrain from using such words. Women irrespective of nationality should be respected. What if Bangladeshi members here refer some woman from Pakistan as 'Pakibaby' ? Would you like that? Give respect, get respect.

i would get excited and fly straight to Bangladesh to be shot by hasina henchman.

dont know her but she does indeed look beautiful ...infact all slim women with decent height looks hot in saree : p

Actually the sari doesn't look good on those yucky gym-fanatic females with thin arms and flat, muscular bellies but looks elegant on the normal female, tall or "short", who is chubbier. The sari enhances her feminine softness, roundness and curves. The lovely Sonakshi for example :
110-1591017418.jpg

24aa0d74f979221c618774065908499e.jpg

actress-sonakhsi-sinha-in-manish-malhotra-sari.jpg

Doesn't she look ravishing in the red one ?

@KedarT @Sainthood 101 @Zibago @Indos @Maarkhoor @Bilal9 @SIPRA @DrJekyll

Last edited:
@jamahir , Bilal talk about Cannes, so I bring here Indonesian actress who appeared in Cannes Film festival in 2022

Raline Shah

However, your President Xi loves only Aamir Khan films from India. In my case I keep on watching historical Chinese drama in the YouTube. These are what you call Costume Dramas.

1653916619439.png

What kind of fashion is this. Her backside is naked or what very difficult to grasp. But, anyway with her Sari being watched by the European/ American ladies, our garments industry will flourish further.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom