What's new

Azerbaijan, Armenia May Go To War Over Territory

xMustiiej70

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
BAKU, Azerbaijan - Azerbaijan is seriously preparing for war with Armenia over the disputed region of Nagorny Karabakh, the country's defense minister told international peace mediators Feb. 11.

"Azerbaijan is seriously preparing to liberate its territories," Defense Minister Safar Abiyev said in comments published by the ministry's news service.

This is not the first occasion that a top Azerbaijani official has used tough rhetoric over a possible conflict.

Azerbaijan has repeatedly threatened to use force to win back Karabakh if peace talks do not yield results, while Armenia has warned of large-scale retaliation if Baku launches military action.

Abiyev said that Armenia must end what he called its "occupation policy" in Karabakh, where ethnic Armenian separatists backed by Yerevan seized control from Azerbaijan in a war in the early 1990s that left about 30,000 dead.

"Only in this context is a peaceful settlement of the conflict possible," Abiyev said.

Abiyev was speaking to peace mediators from the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, whose efforts to find a negotiated solution to the Karabakh dispute have continued for more than a decade.

Abiyev said that Azerbaijan had not yet given up hope that the mediators' efforts could succeed, despite the lack of progress so far.

A leading think tank warned this week that increased spending on weapons, escalating frontline clashes, war-like rhetoric and a virtual breakdown in peace talks were increasing the chances of renewed military action over Karabakh.

The Brussels-based International Crisis Group said that exchanges of fire across the ceasefire line could spiral out of control, threatening regional stability and Western energy interests in the region.

I think there was a agreement signed..
where if such war breaks out that russia wont involve if it takes the occupied region and not any of the official Armenian land.
and that Turkey wont involve if armenia defends it and dont capture a centimeter land.

To be honest because im turkish and know both countries very well.
Turkey will be involved directly in both scenerios and russia wont back them off 1cm of front line.
turkey's direct involvement can be stopped by Eu's political pressure and other alternative plans for the issue.

Im just wondering what russia would do to stop turkey getting involved because personally i believe russia is afraid of turkey.
because armenia is their rival enemies since their existence and azerbaijan is our country... azeri's are turks.. we are equal we are 1 people. 2 states 1 nation.
and armenia ally russia is nothing more then regional ally.

insallah it azerbaijan kicks off and gets its land back.
im counting on turkey for direct physical involvent.
plus azerbaijan is way more stronger then when they lost that region.
and since russia has strategic important bases in armenia but NOT in the occupied region..
i dont see russia getting involved with turkish military.
but turkey-russian relationship is very strong it wont damage that much.
theres alot of money on trade.

Incorrect.

Armenia and Russia are united. Russia soldiers deployed in the some areas of Armenia. Russia is afraid of Turkey. how so?

yes but not in the occupied region as far as I know.
Russia is afraid of Turkey..
Because: because armenia is their rival enemies since their existence and azerbaijan is our country... azeri's are turks.. we are equal we are 1 people. 2 states 1 nation.
and armenia ally russia is nothing more then regional ally.

Armenia dont mean as much as Azerbaijan for Turkey.
Russia knows this and the willing to fight and die for Azerbaijan.
Russia have treaten Turkey before and geuss what Turkey took as a joke.
An example of such event was Cyprus missile crisis

I very much doubt the Russians are afraid of us. However they do not have the capability to stop us if we directly involve ourselves in this conflict which may not be a wise choice but Azerbaijan must retake their territory at all costs.

I think Azerbaijan will take military action it is inevitable at this point as negotiations wont work. It will be interesting to see how Turkey responds to this. We have a responsibility to protect all Turkic peoples and look out for their national interests as they are ours as well.

let us pakistanis nuke these doted nations :S

Armenian president: Russia's role in resolving Nagorno-Karabakh problem is great | Nagorno-karabakh conflict | Trend

Russia's role in resolving the Nagorno-Karabakh problem is great, Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan said in an interview with the Echo of Moscow radio station. (27.01.2011)

"I consider Russia as the major and most authoritative player in our region. Russia can do so that peace and prosperity was established in our region. I should express my gratitude to the Russian president because he is busy actively seeking peaceful solutions," Sargsyan said.

He added that it is no coincidence that Russia was involved in the negotiation process from the beginning.

"Due to the fact that Russia has such authority, we expect a great deal from the country," Sargsyan said.

The conflict between the two South Caucasus countries began in 1988 when Armenia made territorial claims against Azerbaijan. Armenian armed forces have occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijan since 1992, including the Nagorno-Karabakh region and 7 surrounding districts.

Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in 1994. The co-chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group - Russia, France, and the United States - are currently holding the peace negotiations.

Armenia has not yet implemented the U.N. Security Council's four resolutions on the liberation of the Nagorno-Karabakh and the surrounding regions.

4de9a911e3c63ce541d7f01b790d_large.jpg

what happened to Nagorno-Karabakh agreement signed?

yaar, win-win negotiation is not effective, look at Kashmir issues similarly.

However they do not have the capability

What?? Armenia is in CSTO, Nato is not going to let you start WW3 for the azers.

Back
Top Bottom