What's new

Azam Khan to cut short US trip after detention at Boston airport Read mor

I think Azam Khan should come back. His rheotic of being Muslim is secondary. Even our Abdul Kalam havent been spared by them. I always get surprised by the fact, simply why doesnt we reciprocate? This is how they treat a Indian Minister? US officials should be subjected to same. We are ust being too polite :hitwall:

Frisking a public figure amounts to humuliation. Not to mention TSA's idea of frisking amounts molestation and undue harrassment to normal people.
India should lodge its protest with the US.

If this guy does not want to visit US because of some extended interrogation, let him be. Security is important than extending the VIP treatment to these prudes. With the meager budget, the immigration officers will have do some sort of profiling and if he is profiled so be it. I have personally gone through brief detention and interrogation couple of times and each time I knew what was the reason - it is humiliating but at the same time, looking at the bigger picture, it is needed - Nothing personal about it.

PS: Ted Kennedy who belonged to Kennedy family and was a senator was searched multiple times in various airports whenever he was flying because his name was in the security no fly list - Ted understood the reason as someone used his name to fly into US and so he went through the ordeal as long as he lived. So Mr. Azam Khan - you are no one here in US to be extended the red carpet.

Uttar Pradesh Minister Mohammad Azam Khan has decided to cut short his US trip after his "long and humiliating frisking" at the Logan airport in Boston, an official here said.

In a statement issued by his personal assistant Muktinath Jha late Thursday, the minister alleged that on the pretext of frisking him homeland security officials humiliated him, and that he was targeted because he is a Muslim.

Although Azam Khan, who is the urban development and parliamentary affairs minister, would deliver a lecture at the Harvard Business School (HBS) on organising the Maha Kumbh Mela as planned, he would not participate in the lunch and dinner functions and other events, the statement added.

"The minister will officially register his protest at the HBS where he is to deliver a lecture on the successful management of Kumbh and crowd management," his assistant said.

The minister alleged that he was detained in the immigration chamber for more than an hour.

"This is simply unacceptable", he told his secretary over telephone while asking him to issue a statement on his behalf.

The minister said that he would decide his future course of action after returning to India while adding that he regretted his decision to go to the US.

Azam is part of a delegation invited by the prestigious business school to deliver a lecture on organising the Maha Kumbh Mela in Allahabad and the challenges faced by the administration in managing millions of people from across the world who attended the mega event, billed as the biggest religious congregation in the world, from Jan 14-March 12 this year.

HBS had sent research teams to Maha Kumbh Mela, following which the B-school invited the Uttar Pradesh chief minister and his team to its US campus to share their experiences with students and faculty members. The team will make a 40-minute presentation on Friday.

Read more at: Azam Khan to cut short US trip after detention at Boston airport : India, News - India Today

I am curious to know that who is the person who invited SP and its good ministers? This is just hillarious...This guys is a parasite...He always give sppeched opposing every US political descison in his constituency...and why he is so eager to run away to US...when some opportunity comes up?

He is a freaking state minister. ...he gets NO special treatment than any other Indian. I think its more a case of bruised ego's.

This is a clear case of being offended - even though he is Muslim and having Khan as his last name he is a Minister on invitation and not a potential terrorist. I wonder what Muslims usually go through when they visit US if this is the way they treat a state minister?

TSA must be having somebody on their watch-list having a same or similar name. It happened to a colleague of mine; who shared both his name as well as his father's name with somebody on their list. So he got pulled in for questioning, but there were no restraints or hand-cuffs or anything of that sort; the questioning took place in the TSA office in the Terminal. Some confirmatory calls to our office took place and he was permitted to leave after an apology was proferred.

TSA must be having somebody on their watch-list having a same or similar name. It happened to a colleague of mine; who shared both his name as well as his father's name with somebody on their list. So he got pulled in for questioning, but there were no restraints or hand-cuffs or anything of that sort; the questioning took place in the TSA office in the Terminal. Some confirmatory calls to our office took place and he was permitted to leave after an apology was proferred.

Wonder who APJ Abdul Kalam or the Hindu lady from Indias foreign office (forgot her name) share their names with?

I am sure they have a reason to be thorough - but sometimes its over the top.

Many times they are over the top. I saw the USA on 9/11 and then I saw them again on 9/12 and later. Somethings are inexplicable, but that is their system now.

Many times they are over the top. I saw the USA on 9/11 and then I saw them again on 9/12 and later. Somethings are inexplicable, but that is their system now.

for eg, SRK (not a fan) must have had hundreds of US immigration stamps on his passport and then too he is subjected to the same, The Indian high commissioner to the US had to undergo strict search - that too a hindu lady, Abdul kalam bless him is too old, dignified and an ex president and had to remove his shoes, LOL wonder if the same treatment should be metted out to US dignitories?

for eg, SRK (not a fan) must have had hundreds of US immigration stamps on his passport and then too he is subjected to the same, The Indian high commissioner to the US had to undergo strict search - that too a hindu lady, Abdul kalam bless him is too old, dignified and an ex president and had to remove his shoes, LOL wonder if the same treatment should be metted out to US dignitories?

We are free to do so if we wish to.

We are free to do so if we wish to.

And we should, just to make them aware of how humiliating it is, and our big fat politicians get treated like kings in India get treated worse than an American average joe must surely rankle them.

And we should, just to make them aware of how humiliating it is, and our big fat politicians get treated like kings in India get treated worse than an American average joe must surely rankle them.

Well, we have this concept of VIPs, VVIPs etc. The Americans don't have any such concept.

No wonder the Muslims in India want independence. This is why I'm certain India will break up. Just look at all these Hindus defending the white man over their own because he was a Muslim. India will break up eventually, mark my words.

Back
Top Bottom