What's new

Autumn clicks.

Hunza, GB ...

1697838018759.png

Kuro Bridge, district Ghanche, Gilgit Baltistan.....

1698420169777.png

This is where i fell for fall!
Some autumn pictures from Shigar, Gilgit Baltistan

395551776_904269584570228_8380730413416280593_n.jpg

395490946_904269694570217_2941253114702112171_n.jpg

395324492_904269787903541_2252956559786996045_n.jpg

395520913_904269841236869_5098654216295692176_n.jpg

395353342_904269871236866_7434101034345679347_n.jpg

Some Clicks from hopper valley nagar
❤️

📸
: Kashif Zayan

1699308552902.png

1699308573440.png

1699308619199.png

1699308634988.png

Fall in Hunza — where nature paints with gold

They say nature holds the power to leave you speechless; in Hunza, I didn't have the words to describe what I saw.

Faisal Farooq
September 27, 2024

To escape the monotonous routine of city life, I packed my rucksack one October afternoon and headed for the mountains to satisfy my wanderlust. This has become a routine over time; every year, I plan a trip to rediscover the Hunza Valley, particularly in the fall season.

Located in the shadows of the mighty Karakoram mountains, Hunza has in the last decade become the ‘new Murree’ of Pakistan, as hundreds of thousands of tourists, desperate for a break, flock to the valley to enjoy its melodious sceneries.

The thing about Hunza is that it has something to offer in all seasons. But autumn in the valley is a sight to behold. From October 15 to mid-November, it undergoes a breathtaking transformation, turning into a tapestry of vivid colours and serene landscapes.

The Rakaposhi peak surrounded by the autumn trees from Karakorum Highway

The Rakaposhi peak surrounded by the autumn trees from Karakorum Highway

The slow and beautiful change of green foliage to vibrant yellow, golden and red sit perfectly in contrast with the turquoise waters of the Hunza River. Seated on the riverbank at dawn, this captivating grandeur of nature not only nourishes the soul but also alleviates all worldly anxieties.

The chilly October wind causes a flurry in the falling leaves, making them glide in the air before gently landing on the ground. When crushed underfoot, these leaves bring about a giddy feeling and a delightful crisp.

The breathtaking beauty of the Hunza Valley unfolds in a symphony of autumn colours.

The breathtaking beauty of the Hunza Valley unfolds in a symphony of autumn colours.

It is true when they say nature holds the power to leave you speechless; I felt the same in Hunza. But poet Emily Bronte, a master of words, perfectly described the essence of autumn.

“Fall, leaves, fall; die, flowers, away; Lengthen night and shorten day;
Every leaf speaks bliss to me.
Fluttering from the autumn tree.
I shall smile when wreaths of snow
Blossom where the rose should grow;
I shall sing when night’s decay
Ushers in a drearier day.”
But before revelling in the marvel of fall in Hunza, there’s a 14-hour drive to brave — after all, good things come to those who wait. My journey started from Islamabad after midnight and by the next morning, I had crossed the Babusar Pass, which stands at 13,691 feet — a route that offers a picturesque passage to Gilgit-Baltistan from April to October.

During winter, the pass is closed due to heavy snowfall, and travellers have to go the other way round through the Basham route.

A bird eye view of a village of Hunza valley along with Karakoram Highway

A bird eye view of a village of Hunza valley along with Karakoram Highway

Source: https://www.dawn.com/news/1861247/fall-in-hunza-where-nature-paints-with-gold

By the time I arrived in Hunza, the sun had set leaving behind hues of orange and yellow, perfectly in symphony with the resplendent colours of the autumn bloom. But even before they could settle, my eyes first darted to the “mother of mists”, the Rakaposhi Peak. I was in a trance.

The mighty mountains that encircle Hunza offer a majestic display of power, soaring above 7,000 meters. They include the Rakaposhi, Ultar-1 and 2, Diran, Spantik, Hunza Peak, Lady Finger and Dastgil Sir.

Gazing upon the regal Rakaposhi from the Ganesh Village

Gazing upon the regal Rakaposhi from the Ganesh Village

A panoramic view of four of these peaks, all in one breathtaking tableau, can be seen from the Ganesh village, one of the Hunza’s oldest settlements located 90 kilometres from Gilgit. This is where I gaped at the first rays of the sun falling over Rakaposhi, before proceeding to Karimabad.

Perched atop a hill overlooking the valley, Karimabad, the capital of Hunza district, boasts an unworldly view. Narrow lanes, adorned with bustling shops and hotels, warmly welcome tourists. And so do the people.

After roaming through these streets, like a puzzle guarded by towering mountains, I made my way towards the Altit and Baltit forts.

Altit Fort stands as a timeless sentinel

Altit Fort stands as a timeless sentinel

Baltit Fort, positioned at the town’s highest point, tells stories that date back centuries. The fortified mud structure, built in the 13th Century, is witness to countless political intrigues and wars, earning a place on the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation’s (Unesco) World Heritage tentative list.

At a distance of just 10 minutes is the Altit village, characterised by its labyrinthine alleyways and historic houses. The town’s architecture retains a unique ancient charm, with children playing in the winding alleys, elders gathering at street corners, and women going about their daily chores.

Baltit Fort stands as a timeless sentinel amidst the vibrant tapestry of autumn

Baltit Fort stands as a timeless sentinel amidst the vibrant tapestry of autumn

Back
Top Bottom