What's new

Attack on Srilankan cricket team in Lahore

This thread and other related threads had suddenly become quiet compared to the initial burst. I guess people have finally become sick of bickering. Good!! Now lets move on with some usefull information and debate plz guys.

Any news on the probe report? It was supposed to be released for public today.

Any news on the probe report? It was supposed to be released for public today.

Don't worry hembo, whether the report comes out or not, we all know where the blame is going to be shifted.

Don't worry hembo, whether the report comes out or not, we all know where the blame is going to be shifted.

Unfortunate but true, why do I always have the feeling that I cannot count on my government.

Unfortunate but true, why do I always have the feeling that I cannot count on my government.

You are not alone in having this feeling my friend. My Pakistanis share the same.:frown:

Lahore: A little-known militant Muhammad Aqil has been identified by Pakistani security agencies as the mastermind of the audacious attack on
Sri Lankan cricketers here, but raids across the city to nab him proved futile as he managed to escape.

The security agencies conducted raids at several places after identifying Aqil, who has links to a banned militant group. However, the name of the group was not revealed.

Though Aqil, who hails from Kahuta, managed to escape, his accomplice Talat was captured, Geo News channel quoted sources as saying.

Talat and Aqil had been living a in flat near the Liberty traffic roundabout, where the Sri Lankan team was attacked on March 3 by a dozen gunmen who ambushed its luxury bus, leaving seven players and an assistant coach injured and eight people dead.

Talat purchased a mobile phone SIM that was used by the terrorists involved in the attack, Geo News reported. Aqil masterminded the attack and was also in-charge of its execution, it added.

Source: Pak identifies mastermind of Lahore attack - Sify.com

Immediately after the terror assault on the visiting Sri Lankan cricket team in Lahore, several Pakistani politicians, media personalities and a former ISI chief tried to put the blame on India for the attack, claiming that it was a reprisal for Mumbai’s 26/11. This was more than just an unthinking knee-jerk reaction; it was a galvanic twitch, a symptom revealing the deep-seated neural disorder that has afflicted Pakistan ever since its genesis and which, untreated, has now brought it perilously close to being if not a failed state at least one best put in quarantine. The real disease that is destroying Pakistan is not the Taliban; the Taliban — both the ‘bad Taliban’ and the ‘good Taliban’, as the US would have it — itself is a symptom of an underlying pathology: a monomaniacal hatred and fear of India.

It is this single-point non-agenda that led to the birth of Pakistan; it is the same agenda that has dictated all its policies, in foreign and domestic affairs, for more than 60 years; it is the same agenda which today has brought it to the brink of political, social and economic bankruptcy, dreaded and shunned by the international community.

When is Islamabad going to realise what it ought to have realised long ago: that far from being its most implacable enemy which has to be fought to mutual death if necessary, India ought to be, and could be made to be, its staunchest ally, its closest friend and its last and only hope of survival?

If that sounds preposterous that is only because we in India have over the years of hostility possibly been almost, if not equally, brainwashed as Pakistanis into believing that perpetual ping-pong vendetta with our neighbour is part of our collective karma, engraved into our national genetic code. Far from being a utopian pipe dream, an ‘Indi-**** bhai-bhai’ scenario is the only solution to Pakistan’s escalating problems which threaten to plunge the whole region into catastrophic turmoil which could lead to nuclear Armageddon if extremist militias, swiftly gaining ascendancy there, wrest control of Islamabad’s nuclear arsenal from the state and the army.

Why should the people of Pakistan — the politicians, the businessmen, the farmers, the students, the media commentators, as distinct from the army, the ISI, and the ISI-created terror militias which have now turned against their creators — try to overcome their self-destructive paranoia about India? For several good reasons. It is widely acknowledged that the best antidote to Pakistan’s lifethreatening malignancies is a health-restoring infusion of democracy. In an embattled South Asia, from Sri Lanka, through Nepal and Bangladesh to Pakistan itself, India stands out as the lone beacon of democracy, about to embark on general elections which represent the biggest democratic exercise in the world.

As a democracy and an open society where a vigilant media is quick to bring any dirty tricks to public light, India can’t and wouldn’t, through RAW or any other agency, export terror to Pakistan as Pakistan’s ISI has allegedly been doing to India. Instead of trying to subvert Pakistan, it is in democratic India’s best interests to ensure greater stability for its unruly and volatile neighbour, so that the cost of constant conflict that is crippling both countries can be brought down and both parties can get on with the daunting task of combating the global slowdown and protecting the interests of the aam aadmi on both sides of the border.

Sceptics will say there isn’t a hope in hell that Pakistan could ever bring itself to think of India as a potential friend instead of a predestined foe. And perhaps they’re right. Perhaps there isn’t any hope; only a mutually inflicted hell that both Pakistan and we must face. Are we, in Pakistan and in India, ready and willing to accept that?

By Jug Suraiya

Exploding Cherries

Where is the backlash of the Pakistani cricket fanatic?

MOHAMMED HANIF

Cricket legend and self-appointed cheerleader for the Taliban, Imran Khan, told an Australian TV channel in October that militants would never attack a cricket match or cricketers in his country because Pakistanis love cricket too much. I am not sure where Imran Khan got the impression that militants respect people’s favourite pastime. It might have something to do with the Pakistani cricketer’s newfound love for orthodox Islam. Some of our star players like Inzamam-ul-Haq, Mohammed Yousuf and Shahid Afridi are now full-time preachers and part-time cricketers. On the crease, some of the juniors even mutter verses from the Quran before facing a fast bowler. Khan may have concluded that the militants would spare their brothers in faith after seeing their piety on the pitch. He forgot about the visiting teams, for whom cricket might be their only religion.

A tragic and terrifying attack like the one that happened in Lahore this week is no time to remind celebrities how naive they can be in their public pronouncements. Imran Khan is one of the many mainstream politicians, commentators and socialites in Pakistan who seem to think that if they slip in a nice word about militants, they will reciprocate by showing restraint, or at least not attack the only cricket team in the world brave and friendly enough to visit Pakistan during the past 14 months.

Imran Khan had made another prediction in his interview. "There will be a severe backlash against the militants if they attacked cricketers, because Pakistanis love their cricketers too much."

Pakistanis also have some other well-documented passions: they love to send their children to the best schools they can afford, they are mad about pop music, and they like to also indulge in the occasional dance routine.

During the past few months, militants have shown no respect for any of these popular pastimes either. There was no backlash when more than 200 schools were demolished by the Taliban in the Swat valley. There was not a squeak of protest when more than 500 music shops were shut down in Mingora, the main town in the valley. There were only murmurs of horror when a dancer named Shabana was dragged into the city square and killed. ("Don’t slit my throat, just shoot me," Shabana was reported to have said.) Intellectuals like Imran Khan who are remarkably, and rightly I must add, articulate when it comes to lecturing America about its foreign policy, and documenting Israeli atrocities in Gaza, did not utter the word ‘dancer’ or ‘Shabana’ because they thought it might infuriate the militants.

I was desperately hoping that Imran Khan’s prediction about a popular backlash would turn out to be true this time. A lapsed cricket fan myself, I do realise the kind of demented emotions it evokes amongst otherwise sensible people in the country. As the celebrated Pakistani novelist Kamila Shamsie puts it, "Cricket is front and centre, heart and soul, of the ‘alternative narrative’ of Pakistan." But this story isn’t just about destruction and terror, but about all the aspects of life in Pakistan worth celebrating, and also, just as crucially, about all the aspects of life in Pakistan as unremarkable and harmless as a ball tapped to mid-on for no run in the last session of a dead rubber.

But looking at the TV coverage of the attacks, that hope has already begun to fade. There is a backlash under way, but it’s not directed at the attackers or the ideological environment that breeds them. The incident is already spiralling into the ugly rhetoric of this being ‘Our Mumbai’, and arguments that go like, "since some of the Mumbai attackers went from Pakistan, so these boys must have come from across the border".As we watched the looped visuals of young men, barely out of their teens, wearing white sneakers and backpacks, strolling on the green grass outside Qaddafi Stadium and shooting at an ambulance, a very popular presenter on a big news channel explained the incident. "Which country didn’t want the Sri Lankan team to come to Pakistan? Which country was very upset when the Sri Lankans decided to come and play in Pakistan?" India, of course. "We don’t even need to guess who is behind these attacks," he concluded his argument.

It might be too early to tell who was behind these attacks, as old-fashioned journalists are fond of saying, but we can safely say that pictures of young men wearing sneakers, backpacks and brandishing AK-47s, and TV presenters demanding revenge, will be the only spectator sport on Pakistani TV channels for some time.

You are not alone in having this feeling my friend. My Pakistanis share the same.:frown:

We are ripe for revolution

as for the attacks, i still stand by my stance...indian wet dream is to see Pakistan isolated. Sooner or later, we will expose them.

p.s. Imran Khan cheerleader for the taleban??? What a stupid article this guy above me posted. You should view his interview with Fareed Zakaria.

he is critical of taleban, US and Pak govt.

What has happened with the investigation? What happened to those who were arrested?

Nothing will happen. What happened to Bhutto investigation? Marriot investigation? Other bomb blast investigation?

Pakistani police is useless.

Only on TV they will come and blame India and RAW and Santa Claus.

Nothing will happen. What happened to Bhutto investigation? Marriot investigation? Other bomb blast investigation?

what happened to the investigation on Shamjota Express blasts? The ones in which u initially blamed ISI :-)woot:)

indian military has been infiltrated by BJP thugs

Marriot investigation led to arrests -FYI. I believe one of the suspects was a nigerian.

what happened to the investigation on Shamjota Express blasts? The ones in which u initially blamed ISI :-)woot:)

indian military has been infiltrated by BJP thugs

Marriot investigation led to arrests -FYI. I believe one of the suspects was a nigerian.

and when did all these indian trolls start flooding this forum? Toba.

Back
Top Bottom