What's new

Athens to bolster defense capabilities with two French frigates

Vergennes

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
France
wx.jpg

Greece is to acquire two French FREMM-type navy frigates in the coming months, Kathimerini understands, with the vessels expected to be inducted into the Hellenic Navy by August, as part of efforts to boost the country’s military capabilities amid rising tensions with Turkey.

The acquisition of the frigates – probably the Languedoc and the Aquitaine – was confirmed after letters were exchanged between Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras and French President Emmanuel Macron and at the top level of the two countries’ militaries.

The decision by France to give Greece the two vessels on a five-year lease is seen as a firm message of support from a country with one of the most capable military forces in Europe. Earlier this week, Macron told the European Parliament that France would protect “any member-country whose sovereignty is being attacked.” “It is a position we always have toward Greece regarding the threats in the Eastern Mediterranean,” he said.

Defense cooperation between Greece and France was one of the top topics discussed by Tsipras and Macron during the latter’s visit to Athens last September.

Hellenic Navy officers are to board the FREMM frigates once Greece takes delivery of them in the summer with the aim of getting them operational as soon as possible, Kathimerini understands. The frigates will be fully equipped with high-accuracy anti-aircraft systems.

At the end of the five-year lease for the FREMM, Greece is to take delivery of its first Belh@rra frigate. Greece has been in talks with France for four months for the purchase of between two and four Belh@arra frigates.

The French have also committed to supply Greece with Exocet anti-ship missiles until its existing supply has been renewed, Kathimerini understands.

Defense and government sources in Greece interpret France’s willingness to lease Greece the FREMM frigates in the first instance as a recognition of the urgent need of the Hellenic Navy to maintain its operational capabilities not only in the Aegean but also in the Eastern Mediterranean.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/227865/...defense-capabilities-with-two-french-frigates

@Taygibay @NickGr @Dante80

This latest format of acquisition has been on talks since this January at least. Although it is pretty sure that something might certainly come out of this, the deal is not finalized yet.

Languedoc and Aquitaine are large ASW optimized frigates.

Both have the ability to fire the 1000km+ MdCN Cruise missile (a naval version of the Storm Shadow/SCALP that HAF already uses for their M2000-5s), I'm not sure if the frigates will be leased with those missiles too though.

Regarding Belh@rra. It is essentially a big, heavily armed network connected Light Frigate/Corvette.

It is predominantly designed to replace the La Fayette class stealth frigates in the Marine Nationale.

Some generic specs (those change btw according to the configuration you choose):

Displacement:
4,000 t
Dimensions (m): 121 x 17
Power: 40 MW
Speed: 27 to 29 kts
Range: 5,000 at 15 kts
Accomodation: (130 (+15)
Weapons:
8 x SSM
32 x SAM
CIWS and/or Short-range SAM
1 x 76 or 127 mm
torpedo launchers
1 helicopter (10 t) + UAVs
Electronic systems: 4-fixed-panels or 3D rotating radar - hull and towed sonars

And a possible configuration map (take note of the characteristic Inverted-Bow design the ship has).

hVYTUFX.jpg

They are pretty modular, meaning you have some headway to pick and choose what you like to be on the ship. I know for a fact that HN wants a RAM CIWS on them, and they are also thinking about having the rear-most VLS module be a A70. They are also rumored to be extremely expensive. No idea how or if HN will procure this thing.

Also, the leasing interim solution is not as cut and dry as one might think. The political will is definitely present, but La Royale would certainly not be too happy about the affair, given the fact that they have already lost another ship of the class (Normandie) to the Egyptian Navy.
We will have to see how this unfolds..

Last edited:
Hellenic Navy officers are to board the FREMM frigates once Greece takes delivery of them in the summer with the aim of getting them operational as soon as possible, Kathimerini understands. The frigates will be fully equipped with high-accuracy anti-aircraft systems.

At the end of the five-year lease for the FREMM, Greece is to take delivery of its first Belh@rra frigate.
When will Greece gets their hands on FREMMs ? This summer or 5 years later ?

When will Greece gets their hands on FREMMs ? This summer or 5 years later ?

Now. They are supposed to be an interim solution, until the first Belh@rra is inducted to the fleet.
At least, that seems to be the plan. If this goes forward, the finalization of the deal is supposed to happen in May, when the DCNS guys come to Greece.

LOL! bankrupt but money for new expensive Military toys... i feel sorry for the suffering Greek people.

@Dante80 Given this news is true,I am wondering what the Marine Nationale has to say/think about this. Losing the Normandie was quite problematic,but losing two FREMM at once for five years... This means it will only be left with the Provence,Bretagne and Auvergne,while the Normandie will only be delivered next year. I wonder how they're going to fill the gap.

@Dante80 Given this news is true,I am wondering what the Marine Nationale has to say/think about this. Losing the Normandie was quite problematic,but losing two FREMM at once for five years... This means it will only be left with the Provence,Bretagne and Auvergne,while the Normandie will only be delivered next year. I wonder how they're going to fill the gap.

Yes, I figured as much too (and pointed that out in my post above).

The two FACDAR frigates the MN is building ("Alsace" & "Lorraine") are planned be inducted around the 2021/2022 timeframe. Given this, the fact that "Normandie" went to Egypt and that in the past Lorient had to divert one more launch spot to Morocco (that became the Mohammed VI frigate), losing another two hulls would leave the MN extremely thin for the short term.

I can't imagine they would like that. I'm given the impression that if this happens, it will be for high level political reasons.

Fremm leasing is a very strategic move to shift the Greek naval logistics infrastructure towards France.

Apart from the two fremms , Belharra's possible first buyer could be Greece. If a strategy is developed over these two possibilities, also Greece can become a potential buyer for La Fayette frigates which are decommisioned ships after 7-10 years...

If I remember,Greece once envisaged to buy 5-6 FREMM from France,but the plan was abandoned because of the country's financial difficulties. In 2013 there were talks between France and Greece to lease two FREMMs with an option to buy them after 5 years,but nothing since then.

Shouldn't we send a flocking big flower bouquet
to Mrs Erdogan or something?

Because her husband's attempt to single-handedly
push Turkey out of Europe is actually helping our
military sales within the EU?

Sorry, first thought out loud!

Have a great day Gab & all, Tay.

@Taygibay , Turkey showed significant step in the modernization of the fleet since late 90's. From the year 2020, the total tonnage will start to expand.

The cold war in the Aegean Sea inevitably affects the armament of both countries. The important question here is that such large investments will affect which country's economy is most affected ...

It is a successful decision that Greece will cooperate with the French for the lease and co-operation without buying two frigates. Moreover, it will produce different alternatives in front of the Greek naval logistics, leaning against the German industry.

@Dante80 The afp confirmed France will lease two frigates to the Hellenic Navy. Fotis Kouvelis,deputy minister of national defence confirmed Greece was still in talks with France to buy two frigates. (Presumably,the Belh@rra.)

Back
Top Bottom