What's new

‘Astra’ goes up in smoke

I thought this was supposed to be the final trail before the scheduled induction, but only one missile was fired?

If this is the final trail, multi missiles should be fired for the following reasons:

1. Verify the liability if all succeed;
2. Isolate the cause of failure by comparing data from succeed missiles and failed ones;
3. Go back to drawing board if all failed.

It will greatly delay the R&D process if only one missile is tested.

In this test two missiles were fired, one a success, other a fail. We're in the final user trials, there's still more trials to be done.

There's been several tests, I can only remember one in 2015 that failed, rest went well.

Or I'll just steal from others, call it mine and try every nefarious way that I can to destroy another's efforts.

Sounds like Pakistan.

Sounds like way of working of a nuclear scientist ;) guess who
Or I'll just steal from others, call it mine and try every nefarious way that I can to destroy another's efforts.

Sounds like way of working of a nuclear scientist ;) guess who

Well I was talking about Edison but since you're hurt is brimming I believe I have struck a very raw nerve.

That scientist was a front which as you have proven served us very well.

This is the guy that smokes. Habitually!

Astra.jpg

I don't think even that is happening in your country.

Read below,

Well I was talking about Edison but since you're hurt is brimming I believe I have struck a very raw nerve.

That scientist was a front which as you have proven served us very well.

Next time please go through the entire thread before responding. It only makes you seem silly.

This is a major setback for India.

We won't see operational deplyoment of the missile for at least 10 years, if ever.

This is a major setback for India.

We won't see operational deplyoment of the missile for at least 10 years, if ever.
lol, its going on production .... have you ever heard few Kgs warhead sound heard soo much distance ?? use logic and brain..

Sounds like Pakistan.
Really?
I don't think that sounds like Pakistan at all.
China definitely, they have the resources & the capacity to initiate such a response.
But Pakistanis have neither the technical know how nor the moolah to "steal or destroy" anyone's anything.

This is the guy that smokes. Habitually!

Astra.jpg

SMOKE?o_O
What?:what:
Noooo!:o:

Are you sure the smoke is not coming from your ears?:flame:

Last edited:
Look on the brighter side, 1 succeeded as an aam, the other one wanted to be special and decided to be an agm, thus the downward trajectory :p:

Just kidding

Astra was already tested successfully.

If anything, the current failure was due to production issues, not development issues.

A manufacturing fault is what lead to this failure. Something a better Quality Assurance can fix.
The real reason behind successfully tested but user trial failures is corruption, bad quality spares and above all parts obtained from Russia for mass productions many times proved sub standard. Even Russian ICBM Bulava met the same fate.

The real reason behind successfully tested but user trial failures is corruption, bad quality spares and above all parts obtained from Russia for mass productions many times proved sub standard. Even Russian ICBM Bulava met the same fate.

The real reason is the failure in Knowledge transfer from R&D to Manufacturing.

R&D is done by scientist. Manufacturing is done by production managers and blue collar workers. There is a huge knowledge gap between the two and filling it takes time and effort.

It's a common failure whenever where ever there is a case of Knowledge transfer.

The real reason is the failure in Knowledge transfer from R&D to Manufacturing.

R&D is done by scientist. Manufacturing is done by production managers and blue collar workers. There is a huge knowledge gap between the two and filling it takes time and effort.

It's a common failure whenever where ever there is a case of Knowledge transfer.
I still hold my above view.
Manufacturers were provided with samples but they always tries to cheat the customer by using bad materials and speeding up the process.

I still hold my above view.
Manufacturers were provided with samples but they always tries to cheat the customer by using bad materials and speeding up the process.

You are entitled to your opinion. That is no business of mine.

Missiles usually have to undergo rigorous QA testings as part of their QAT acceptance testing. For e.g. vibration testing that subject them to 100 G are common.

Most times production agencies do not do rigorous QA testing due to pressure of production schedule. Sometimes in development of new products, the QA tests itself are not sufficiently drafted.

Sometimes QA is not performed due to non availability of testing requirements. Or testing could be faulty due to wrong calibration of equipment. etc. etc.

There are a million reasons why something could go wrong. Most times a Root Cause analysis is done to identify the problem and to ensure that does not occur. But that does not mean a new problem will not occur.

Failures during development cycle, pre production and production cycle is common and expected. There are no exceptions to this. This will continue to occur till there is process maturity.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom