What's new

Asiana crash pilots named as Sum Ting Wong, Ho Lee Fuk by NTSB officials

Asiana says it may sue over bogus pilot names report

Asiana should sue.

The NTSB said that it was an intern, not an actual employee, who committed this prank. If so, the NTSB should be punished for failure to properly police those under its authority, employee or not. For the NTSB, it should fire the intern and expose his/her name for all to see. Let future prospective employers take their chances with this person's professionalism or lack thereof.

I think they already did.
I feel this would backfire very badly on Asiana. Its not a good idea to **** off the agency which would be investigating the crash, which is most likely due to human error and systemic problems in the airlines. On the other hand, the case against NTSB is very weak. Its definitely a prank on the airlines and unprofessionalism on the part of NTSB, but how they is Asiana going to prove any damages which might have occurred to any of the pilots? None of the pilots real names have been revealed yet. What exactly will the airlines tell the court and what is the maximum damage that can happen to NTSB? Asiana is clearly on the backfoot, and this is not their time to go on the offensive against powerful agencies and just concentrate on damage control after the crash.

"Sum Ting Wong," "Wi Tu Lo," "Ho Lee Fuk," and "Bang Ding Ow."

joking on names is not good!

Those names might be offensive to Asian Americans that grow up in English environment, but to me or any Asians living in Asia, I don't care because any Romanized names especially Cantonese might sound ridiculous to English speakers but don't make any sense to native speakers.

This will only affect racial relationship in the U.S. and might alienate some Asian Americans, but have no effect on Asians outside U.S. This is not even news in China. Nevertheless, t it clearly shows how some Americans are still consciously or subconsciously racist or myopic that they could make up fake names and find it amusing. I have never ever heard people in China making fun of foreign names no matter how ridiculous they sound in Chinese, let alone making up fake names.

Some of my clients here in the U.S. have been commenting on my name. I don't know why some Americans are so easily amused by those trivial things. But it is a good way for me to judge what kind of person I am dealing with.

People are making a mockery of such a tragic accident, this is just sick.

(CNN) -- Asiana Airlines is considering legal action against Oakland's KTVU television and the National Transportation Safety Board.
This, after a summer intern at the NTSB mistakenly confirmed "inaccurate and offensive" names as those of the four pilots of Flight 214 that crashed last week in San Francisco.
The bogus names that phonetically spelled out phrases such as "Something Wrong" and "We Too Low" were read during KTVU's noon broadcast Friday.

Asiana Airlines considering legal action after - CNN.com

I find it amusing some fools send their children to USA for traveling only to have their children get run over by a firetruck and mocked by American media.

First of all the tragedy was averted as a miracle of overwhelming survivors in what could be a fatal crash. The casualties happened because of lack of first responders in such a scenario and of course the fire truck running people over. How many could actually look at the plane and say that 99% of the passengers survived? What that intern came up with was another miracle of human ingenuity and obviously should be chastised but not to the point of never having to be employed again but knowing how and where his creativity can be used properly. Again if it wasn't a fox affiliate it would have been much funnier and harder to get through the scanners.

First of all the tragedy was averted as a miracle of overwhelming survivors in what could be a fatal crash. The casualties happened because of lack of first responders in such a scenario and of course the fire truck running people over. How many could actually look at the plane and say that 99% of the passengers survived? What that intern came up with was another miracle of human ingenuity and obviously should be chastised but not to the point of never having to be employed again but knowing how and where his creativity can be used properly. Again if it wasn't a fox affiliate it would have been much funnier and harder to get through the scanners.

Human ingenuity? When does making fun of pronunciation in a foreign language equate genius? If that's the case, I am sure you can find those among school bullies and they should all be properly trained to tap their creativity. lol I Promise you I don't find any Arab names funny so I guess I have no creativity.

Pro tip, it's called country bumpkin world view, finding anything strange funny and then giggling at it to entertain himself.

One person screwed up, media immediately acknowledged mistake and apologized.

Integrity or professionalism does not mean errors, mistakes and such willful sabotage is fully eliminated, but it DOES mean errors are acknowledged.

there is something called editorial integrity, which exactly should have prevented this from happening. it is not just one man screwed up, the whole team screwed up and they chose to blame the intern while dodging their own responsibilities.

Human ingenuity? When does making fun of pronunciation in a foreign language equate genius? If that's the case, I am sure you can find those among school bullies and they should all be properly trained to tap their creativity. lol I Promise you I don't find any Arab names funny so I guess I have no creativity.

Pro tip, it's called country bumpkin world view, finding anything strange funny and then giggling at it to entertain himself.

Meh.. sort of right in your analysis. Lot of arab names are funny .. specially the hajji and Akhmed jokes do their regular rounds.. To each his own I guess.. Some people find entertainment in trivial things.

I think they already did.
I feel this would backfire very badly on Asiana. Its not a good idea to **** off the agency which would be investigating the crash, which is most likely due to human error and systemic problems in the airlines. On the other hand, the case against NTSB is very weak. Its definitely a prank on the airlines and unprofessionalism on the part of NTSB, but how they is Asiana going to prove any damages which might have occurred to any of the pilots? None of the pilots real names have been revealed yet. What exactly will the airlines tell the court and what is the maximum damage that can happen to NTSB? Asiana is clearly on the backfoot, and this is not their time to go on the offensive against powerful agencies and just concentrate on damage control after the crash.
Right now, the entire US government is not in very good standing with the American public, and that distaste is like the proverbial 'sh1t rolls down hill' to all agencies. The damages claim can be intangible, such as towards reputation. The goal is not to extract any kind of tangible recompense, read financial because certainly the TV station probably will not have the money. Rather, the goal should be to extract public admissions, as in legal documentation and not merely a PR-type apology, from both entities that clearly outline their guilt.

Corporations and people often concede to 'no contest' pleas, and corporations often financially pay in partnership with said plea.

Nolo contendere - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nolo contendere is a legal term that comes from the Latin for "I do not wish to contend." It is also referred to as a plea of no contest. In criminal trials in certain U.S. jurisdictions, it is a plea where the defendant neither admits nor disputes a charge, serving as an alternative to a pleading of guilty or not guilty. A no-contest plea, while not technically a guilty plea, has the same immediate effect as a guilty plea, and is often offered as a part of a plea bargain.
Asiana should fight to prevent the NTSB and KTVU from pleading 'no contest'. Of course, Asiana could do nothing if both entities do so. But the point will have been made.

I recall a joke .. a chinese boy and girl (not married to each other) ... meet at a lonely place .. and .... do the obvious thing. :-

The girl gives birth to twins ... which are obviously named:

Jo Hua (जो हुआ)

So Hua (सो हुआ)

:laugh:

Asiana says it may sue over bogus pilot names report

Asiana should sue.

The NTSB said that it was an intern, not an actual employee, who committed this prank. If so, the NTSB should be punished for failure to properly police those under its authority, employee or not. For the NTSB, it should fire the intern and expose his/her name for all to see. Let future prospective employers take their chances with this person's professionalism or lack thereof.

The TV station should be punished for neglect and incompetence. Freedom of the press is a great thing, but if the power to expose, to sway public sentiment, to embarrass figures of authority, or to foment discontent, is not exercised with caution, then it is abuse, intentional or not. If it was intentional as in malice with the goal to libel, the punishment should be severe. There seems to be no such intent here, but only sheer incompetency but with the power of the press behind that incompetency. Punishment should be less severe, but punishment nevertheless.

Asiana should pursue legal actions to the fullest allowed by law.

Apparently someone listened to your advice:

Asiana to sue TV station over racially offensive crew names | CTV News

Asiana to sue TV station over racially offensive crew names

The Associated Press
Published Monday, July 15, 2013 6:21AM EDT
Last Updated Monday, July 15, 2013 9:08AM EDT

SEOUL, South Korea -- Asiana announced Monday that it will sue a San Francisco TV station that it said damaged the airline's reputation by using bogus and racially offensive names for four pilots on a plane that crashed earlier this month in San Francisco.

An anchor for KTVU-TV read the names on the air Friday and then apologized after a break. The report was accompanied by a graphic with the phoney names listed alongside a photo of the burned-out plane that had crashed at San Francisco International Airport on July 6, killing three and injuring dozens.

Video of the report has spread widely across the Internet since it was broadcast.

The National Transportation Safety Board has also apologized, saying a summer intern erroneously confirmed the names of the flight crew.

Asiana has decided to sue KTVU-TV to "strongly respond to its racially discriminatory report" that disparaged Asians, Asiana spokeswoman Lee Hyomin said. She said the airline will likely file suit in U.S. courts.

She said the report seriously damaged Asiana's reputation. Asiana decided not to sue the NTSB because it said it was the TV station report, not the U.S. federal agency that damaged the airline's reputation. Lee did not elaborate.

KTVU-TV did not immediately reply to emails sent by The Associated Press seeking comment.

Neither the station nor the NTSB commented on where the names originated.

The four pilots, who underwent questioning by a U.S. and South Korean joint investigation team while in the U.S., returned to South Korea on Saturday. South Korean officials plan to conduct separate interviews with them, South Korea's Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport said.

Back
Top Bottom