What's new

Arrested, harassed for a Muslim daughter

sreekimpact

Reaction score
Country
India
Hyderabad: When Hyderabad was reeling from bomb blasts in 2007, Papalal who was working nearby found a little girl, then four-years-old, at the Gokul Chat Centre blast site. Papalal, a painter of Hindu Gods and Goddesses for temple walls, and his wife, Jayshree, figured out that the child was a Muslim and had been orphaned. They took her home where she lived with the couple. They had been childless for five years and they believed that her coming to their home as a firstborn brought them good luck and Jayshree soon became pregnant with their first biological child. She was their eldest child, they told everybody.

Once it became publicly known that a Muslim child was growing up in a Hindu family, Muslim groups asked the family to hand over the child to them. Papalal refused and asked how it could be a better option for the child to go to an orphanage. Muslim leaders intervened and relented, saying if the child is brought up as a Muslim, she can grow up in a Hindu family.

So Papalal agreed not to make the child wear a 'bindi' (a hindu religious symbol) and she would not be brought up as a Hindu. But their small neighbourhood in Chudibazaar area of Begum Bazaar objected to the 'Muslim' child growing up in a Hindu family and locality. Papalal went to the State Human Rights Commission (SHRC). The SHRC ordered that the police must ensure the safety of the child and family.

After being ostracized by other families, Papalal's own brother decided to step in. It developed into a war of words and a physical fight between the brothers. On Thursday, he filed several police cases against Papalal including one that accuses him of an attempt to outrage modesty of his sister-in-law.

"My wife is nine months pregnant," Papalal said on Thursday. "What crime have I committed? Just of giving shelter to a Muslim girl...they will face the curse of this young child...is there no justice in this world?"

However, Papalal's mother said her elder son and daughter-in-law have put false cases under pressure on them because they do not want the girl to stay.

Papalal's brother also admitted that there was tremendous social pressure on the family over the girl and that is why the two brothers ended up fighting with each other.

Papalal was sent to jail even as local authorities agreed that Sonia belongs with this family.
"We found the couple fit and we are giving legal custody for three months pending some inquiries to declare the child free for adoption," said Isidore Phillips who heads the local Child Welfare Committee.

Following his arrest, a desperate wife pleaded for help. Speaking to NDTV, Jayshree said she is willing to die but will not give up on the child. "Let them do anything, today they have put my husband behind bars, tomorrow they might kill me, we are ready to die but we will never leave this girl," she said.

"I am very happy that they have given us custody of the child...but look at how they are harassing us with police cases," Jayshree added.

Civil activists in the city are now visiting the neighbourhood in an attempt to educate families there into supporting Papalal.

Technically there's no adoption concept in Islam, you can become guardian though (clear distinctions are required). Thats why I guess the Muslim groups initially objected and then let go.

I hope the child doesn't become ostracized from this loving family she has found, and why exactly did they send Papalal to jail after agreeing they can keep the child?

Radical lunatics have no concept of human love. Where the hell were they when the girl was alone and helpless? Shameless ****s like these groups are the reason why there is communal tensions and they get backing from political parties like UPA. Rather than appreciating the man and his wife for the unconditional love to the child, they are threatening the couple. Cheap wastrels.

Papalal you go buddy, don't give in to the haters. India where millions of Hindu girls are killed and/or aborted every year, you decided to give shelter to this little girl.

Papalal you go buddy, don't give in to the haters. India where millions of Hindu girls are killed and/or aborted every year, you decided to give shelter to this little girl.

Statistics has show it is not a hindu problem, it is an Indian problem.
Check my post on killing of muslim girls in kashmir.

this hindu vs muslim conflict in india is common and they talk we indian first and hindu/ muslim later when in real they kill their own daughter if they marry with indian of different belief. I agree with Asim. I dont think she can keep her muslim identity alive while growing up in hindu family by hindu parent

NO UNCONDITIONAL LOVE IS THERE. THEY WERE CHILDLESS SO THEY ADOPTED KID
Radical lunatics have no concept of human love. Where the hell were they when the girl was alone and helpless? Shameless ****s like these groups are the reason why there is communal tensions and they get backing from political parties like UPA. Rather than appreciating the man and his wife for the unconditional love to the child, they are threatening the couple. Cheap wastrels.

this hindu vs muslim conflict in india is common and they talk we indian first and hindu/ muslim later when in real they kill their own daughter if they marry with indian of different belief. I agree with Asim. I dont think she can keep her muslim identity alive while growing up with hindu family

Nobody know whether she is born to muslim parents or hindu parents.

Islam does not permit adoption of a Muslim born child by an non-muslim care taker because their interferes with the spritual up bringing of theirs. Also the article cites weak sources..they figured out it was a muslim child doesnt make her one..She could as well be bohra, ahmedi, zorostaian, bahai or sikh all of whom resemble muslims in attire. The story of muslim child looks like being cooked up by some local religio-facist goons..in any case if an abandoned child is found it must be reported to police.

the story is very incomplete, while i agree, the family should not be forced to leave the child alone, but it must be ensured, if the girl has some relatives and can unbring her well then the family must give up to them, because that hindu family has no rights over her, if she wanna stay with them, thats fine, but it must be ensured, she doesnt become hindu by her adoptive parents brainwashing her..

btw dude share the link, thanks

Technically there's no adoption concept in Islam, you can become guardian though (clear distinctions are required). Thats why I guess the Muslim groups initially objected and then let go.
Who cares. In India as per the law you can adopt any child if you are deemed fit - Religion is not an issue.

I hope the child doesn't become ostracized from this loving family she has found, and why exactly did they send Papalal to jail after agreeing they can keep the child?
There should be some kind of action on those who are trying to stop Papalal. Bloody old minded people. They are the type of people who fight in communal riots.

images

Papalal picked up a little girl that nobody wanted. He brought the child home, gave her shelter. I am sure he did that because his mother raised him like that.

However, Papalal's mother said her elder son and daughter-in-law have put false cases under pressure on them because they do not want the girl to stay.

His mom can come to this forum and lecture the Modi lovers about harmony and caring.

The Muslim community expressed their concerns, but walked away agreeing that the child would be better off with Papalal. I am sure some folks would say it is a sign of Islamic intolerance, because the community is not caring about the honor of that little girl.

Back
Top Bottom