What's new

Army goes shopping to replace its small arms

Army has floated tenders for up till now 66000 new gen assault rifles.These will go to frontline Counter terror operations and elite infantry units.
Contenders are colt with its IAR,berretta ax-160.IAI with TAVOR LIGHT AR,sig sauer with probably 550[not sure],ceska cz 2000[based on kalashnikov new gen].

Most advanced of these is either beretta or tavor both are pricey.cheapest is probably czech model.
colt rifles are great but very maintainence heavy and prone to jamming in desert trials.Tavor already used by special forces.

IA requirements are for twin barrel and able to fire indian produced ammunition.

Right now army uses mostly insas and some frontline units use kalashnikovs.[mostly bulgarian made,and others those manufactured under licence in india]

Sniper rifles.Galil is most likely choice.Immediate requirement is for 2000 sniper rifles.India's special forces alreday use galil almost exclusively.

As to carbine immediate requirement is 40000.Long term TOT and production of 380000-400000 carbines.
Contenders are m4[usa],sig sauer 516,cx-4 berretta,tavor carbine version.

So the carbines are for RR and Ghataks (who have also just procured new SMGs). And I don't think Galils will be the sniper rifle. SFs who already operate the Galil are looking for different rifles. But it depends on whether the IA wants bolt action or semi automatic sniper rifles for infantry units.

The Chinese make their own small arms. India can make ICBMS but not small arms.

This is pathetic. Hopefully good weapons are chosen, and TOT works out.

My pics:

Rifle:

Tavor 556/762 if it exists

LMG:

Negev

Sniper:

Galil

Carbine:

X95 556/9mm

So the carbines are for RR and Ghataks (who have also just procured new SMGs). And I don't think Galils will be the sniper rifle. SFs who already operate the Galil are looking for different rifles. But it depends on whether the IA wants bolt action or semi automatic sniper rifles for infantry units.

No carbines are for section leaders of the infantry battalions,once more are produced only then whole units will get them.Anyway special forces already use m4 carbine.

The Tavor is not in the race for the multi cal rifle. The Galil ACE is.

Again pathetic journalism... especially the sniper rifle part. Apparently 7.62 Nato has better range than 7.62 X 54R, :undecided: and Good luck shooting 1000m with 7.62 Nato too. So in all, army wants to change the rifle for optics, maybe I have a better Idea for the babus to make money.

Pay me $500 per rifle, i'll make a nice polymer stock, retain the side mounts and slap in a good 10X fixed power scope and a bipod. Will look all fancy and still outgun every 7.62 X 51 systems in the world.

Indian army to upgrade infantry weapons
insas.jpg

Published By United Press International

NEW DELHI, Nov. 19 (UPI) -- The Indian army is implementing its Future Infantry Soldier Program 2020.

A key component of the program is to upgrade Indian army infantry weapons. The upgraded weapons to be acquired include foreign-made assault rifles, carbines, light machine guns and sniper rifles over the next two years, as they are lighter and have longer ranges than indigenously made weaponry.

To fill an initial order for 60,000 assault rifles, in the past two weeks the army has completed initial user trials of five guns contending for the contract, including U.S. firms Beretta and Colt, Israel's IWI, Switzerland's Sig-Sauer and Czech Republic's Ceska. Technical evaluations are to commence shortly, The Pioneer newspaper reported.

The winning assault rifle will come equipped with two 5.56mm and 7.62mm caliber interchangeable barrels along with conversion kits, with the 5.56mm option being used in a conventional war fighting role as the barrel will provide longer range, while 7.62mm configuration will be used in counter-terrorism and the counter-insurgency environment, as it will provide troops the capability to fire like AK-56 rifles.

Indian army to upgrade infantry weapons - UPI.com

My advise adopt the Tavor/MTAR

It's generally both. Snipers preffer bolt action over auto or semi auto

Auto and semi auto snipers are generally used where fire rate is more important. So purchase is always mixed. Nothing come close in accuracy when you compared to a bolt action

Back
Top Bottom