What's new

Arms were smuggled to airport a day before attack: senior officer

RPK

Reaction score
Country
India
Arms were smuggled to airport a day before attack: senior officer - thenews.com.pk

KARACHI: A senior security official who survived the Sunday terrorist attack on Karachi Jinnah International Airport has revealed that arms for the attack had been smuggled inside the airport a day earlier and some insiders were helping the attackers.

The terrorists wanted to attack the main terminal, damage any aircraft or hijack it with passengers but these designs were foiled, the official said on condition of not naming him.This senior officer faced a life threatening situation when he reached a seriously injured terrorist and wanted to take his photo thinking him to be dead, the terrorist blew himself up.

“God blessed me and another officer. When I was commanding my force and engaged in fighting with the terrorists, I saw a critically injured terrorist and thought he is dead. I tried to take his photo with my cell phone buthe was alive and suddenly he blew himself up,” the officer told ‘The News’.

Along with this officer, some other sources involved in the investigation are of the view that attackers had some links with inside elements, who not only provided full inside information but also smuggled in arms and ammunition one day before the attack.

According to these sources, majority of the ten attackers were in the uniform of Airport Security Force (ASF). The sources praised the role of ASF officials who according to them initially fought bravely before the Police, Rangers and Army commandos reached the spot. Five terrorists were already dead when these reinforcements arrived.

Spokesman of DG Rangers Major Sibtain refused to comment on the matter and said that as the DG Rangers himself had given his official version, he was unable to comment further on the matter.

DIG Police Karachi East Munir Ahmed Shaikh told ‘The News’ that he did not know the wishes of the terrorists as they all were killed by security forces and according to his knowledge investigators had not reached any conclusion yet.

DIG Shaikh refused to comment about lack of readiness of Karachi Police to act despite prior information of the attack. He said that in a mega city like Karachi where there are lot of illegal and unlicensed weapons and thousands of illegal immigrants are moving freely, law enforcers including police sometimes face difficulties to detect the terrorists and criminals. But in this unfortunate incident, he said, along with other forces, police also fought bravely and killed all terrorists without wasting time.

Back
Top Bottom