What's new

Armed confrontation in Benghazi looks set to escalate

Falcon29

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Armed confrontation in Benghazi looks set to escalate

The failure of General Khalifa Haftar's forces to enter Benghazi and the reduction in casualty statistics have pushed him to use air and artillery power to weaken his enemies. Most of the casualties in the first day or so of the confrontation are believed to be among his forces.

This escalation by Haftar has a harmful effect on, in the main, civilians. His enemies know that his use of the air force and artillery for the past ten days is paving the way for a ground attack. As such, allies of Ansar Al-Sharia made a pre-emptive strike against Battalion 21's camp in Tabellino; this battalion announced its support for Haftar and could be a starting point for an attack on the stronghold of the extremist militia nearby.

The army camp has tools, weapons and ammunition that the movement needs for a fight that may last for some time. Ansar Al-Sharia succeeded in entering the camp and seizing weapons, vehicles and ammunition before making a tactical retreat.

This operation suggests that an escalation looms; forces loyal to Haftar will not stand by and watch their camps and troops become easy targets for Ansar Al-Sharia. Unless limited mediation efforts are successful the confrontation looks set to get more vicious.

There are signs of disagreement between moderate Islamic groups resisting Haftar and Ansar Al-Sharia following a statement by the latter in which officials rejected the political process and the democratic path. This may lead to a breakdown of the coordination that was clear at the beginning of the confrontation. However, it is not expected to affect the strength and steadfastness of opposition to Haftar for two reasons. First, the attack on the barracks in Tabellino coincided with an attack by pro-Haftar forces in the south-west of Benghazi, which was repulsed by opposition groups. Second, leaks confirm the existence of a military front containing battalions and groups that do not include Ansar Al-Sharia operating under a unified leadership.

The unrestrained use of heavy artillery by one side could lead to the use of car bombs and explosive belts by the other, leading to mass destruction and a huge loss of life. The city faces chaos and terror.

What is missing so far is the sound of reason and wisdom counselling against the use of force to impose a fait accompli on the people of Libya. Those who advocate reason prefer legitimate, democratic means to stand up to terror.

The situation is critical, so I call on popular and widely respected figures such as Sheikh Mustafa Abdul Jalil, Dr Mohammed Maqrif, Dr Mahmoud Jibril and Sheikh Sadiq Ghiryani to put aside their differences in the face of the threat of war. We need an initiative to stop the fighting which they could lead, calling for a consensus that is based on removing the causes of the current crisis. This includes looking into the role of Haftar and his plans, and ways of dealing with Ansar Al-Sharia and their strict approach.

Unfortunately Libya is turning into another Iraq! Sad.

I wouldn't say it's another Iraq. Although I can guarantee you the whole Arab world will become this way in the next 10-20 years.

I hope not!

The future is really unpredictable but I don't know how some of the people will accept the current situation. I'm tired of these same old monarchs and military regimes.

So this General Haftar wants to grab power like Colonel Gaddafi did? :coffee:

Well, Well, This is one country where i must say i have begin to believe those conspiracy theories who said the war in Lybia to topple Kadaffi was pre-planned by our governments in the west/U.S. Afterall, the U.S tried several times to assinate/killed Gadaffi.
I have been to Libya in 2008, and Libya was the most wealthy country in Africa under Gadaffi, their GDP per capital was even more than some european countries, they had access to unemployment benefits(something unheard of in Africa), free access to electricity/water, etc. Most people from Africa immigrated to Libya to search for a better life(where Kadaffi proclaimed his Africa for Africans slogan) and he also invested hugely in developmental projects in other poor African countries. To see the current state of Libya, i just feel bad/sorry for this country. The instability there has just started it will soon become a mini somalia where the state is almost inexistent and there are may militias/foreign extremists groups who are free to operate as they wish and were they make their own laws(a failed state). If there is one thing i wish is those of our governments who participated in the toppling of Libyas government(contrary to the U.N mandate they were given) be brought to justice to answer for their crimes(though i have no illusions it will never happen, since the I.C.C is made for poor African dictaors/countries):agree::disagree:

Most importantly,What most people dont know is that it was Gadaffi who helped reduced telecommunication costs in Africa by putting US$300 million on the table; the African Development Bank added US$50 million more and the West African Development Bank a further US$27 million – and that’s how Africa got its first communications satellite on 26 December 2007.China and Russia followed suit and shared their technology and helped launch satellites for South Africa, Nigeria, Angola. Before this, Africa had to pay an annual US$500 million fee pocketed by Europe for the use of its satellites like INTELSAT for phone conversations, including those within the same country. He also initiated the creation of the African Investment Bank in Sirte (Libya) and the African Monetary Fund to be based in Cameroon(where my wife is part originally from).

This is not to say Gadaffi was a saint, of course he wasnt he had many faults and was a dictator. But what i mean is that he was by no means the worst in the world, there are many worst than him, but who are protected/ignored by our governments because they serve thier interests.
I think Africans, Arabs, etc have to wake up and realise that nobody will ever come and help them develop, they have to rely on themselves, and they should be very careful of falling for so called 'arab revolutions' which has so far proven an illusion. So they have to know that, there is no such thing as our governments in the west/U.S trying to protect them/establish democracy. This are all lies/deception we use to establish our influence/favorable regime to us.
It will take time but hopefully Africans will wake up one day and take their rightful positions in the world(being the mother Humanity).
Wishing libya all the best, Sorry im just an honest European citizen. If i could i will contribute towards the rebuilding of libya, since my government participated in its total destruction which will last for a long time to come and has been affecting/will affect many other neighbouring african countries stability to come.
GOD BLESS AFRICA.

Back
Top Bottom