What's new

Armament: but what is happening between France and Egypt?

Despite the visit of the chief of staff of the Egyptian Navy ten days ago, the file on the sale of Gowind 5 and 6 is at a standstill, according to La Tribune. On the other hand, according to concordant sources, Naval Group was finally able to tear off the implementation of the maintenance contract of the first four corvettes sold to Egypt, signed last July (150 million euros). But at what cost...

The maintenance on the Gowinds was a huge issue. From what I gather, this was the primary hurdle that just exacerbated the rest of the potential deals an compounded problems with the financing of any future deals. Shame, but it is what it is. A deal cannot be made under non-favorable conditions.

Regarding the additional twelve Rafale, the folder moves forward. France has recently cleared a major hurdle. According to our information, the United States lifted the blockage, which they imposed via the ITAR regulation, to France on the export to Egypt of the air-to-air missile Meteor, which is very pleasing to the army of the Egyptian air. A very good news for MBDA, already facing the blockage of the Scalp cruise missile in Egypt. Because Cairo wishes to equip all its Rafale fleet, including the additional twelve, with Meteor. However, we would still be far from a signature, said a good observer of the land of the Pharaohs.

Let's hope that because of the Mekos and the AW-149 deals that the Franco/Egyptian military purchasing and dealing doesn't affect the additional 12 and weapons beyond. I like that the EAF is insisting that the meteor etc. be part of any further deals without any obstructions or limitations. This was the stand they needed to take long time ago and give credit to the French, they were the first to provide the EAF with BVR weapons when even the US and its longtime standing relationship and weapons inventory in Egypt didn't. That being said, hearing about LM offering the Viper Upgrade which would include the AIM-120, AIM-9X and I believe JDAM kits for certain bombs is encouraging, but nothing goes through until approved by congress which you know will put an immediate stop on it, without question.

The maintenance on the Gowinds was a huge issue. From what I gather, this was the primary hurdle that just exacerbated the rest of the potential deals an compounded problems with the financing of any future deals. Shame, but it is what it is. A deal cannot be made under non-favorable conditions.

Let's hope that because of the Mekos and the AW-149 deals that the Franco/Egyptian military purchasing and dealing doesn't affect the additional 12 and weapons beyond. I like that the EAF is insisting that the meteor etc. be part of any further deals without any obstructions or limitations. This was the stand they needed to take long time ago and give credit to the French, they were the first to provide the EAF with BVR weapons when even the US and its longtime standing relationship and weapons inventory in Egypt didn't. That being said, hearing about LM offering the Viper Upgrade which would include the AIM-120, AIM-9X and I believe JDAM kits for certain bombs is encouraging, but nothing goes through until approved by congress which you know will put an immediate stop on it, without question.
That maintenance is expensive.. it should have been included in TOT..
The 12 Rafale will also come..there is profit there..France won't want to lose everything!
Trump can close the congress mouth with the Sismoa..but apparently Egypt is still reluctant on some clauses..But hey.. no news after Sisi's visit to the US might just be good news..

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom