What's new

'Are you mad? They wouldn't let me land in Pakistan': Asad Umar on journalist's query about IMF deal

He was the most successful CEO of one of the largest Pakistani multinationals.

Shows how paindu you are if you are comparing Umar's credentials with Dar's. Paindu panay ki bhi hadh hoti hai.
Muhammad Ishaq Dar
  • B. Com,
  • Ishaq Dar completed his education at Government College), Lahore (now Government College University) and Hailey College of Commerce, Punjab University, Lahore (1966–69).
  • He was awarded two gold medals after obtaining the first position in Bachelor of Commerce (honours) at the University of Punjab.
  • After completing his higher education, Dar trained as a chartered accountant.He attended Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW).
  • He earned a fellowship membership (FCA) with ICAEW in 1980 and with ICAP in 1984.
Asad Umar
  • Received a degree in Commerce (B.Com) at the Government College of Commerce & Economics.
  • Graduated from IBA Karachi in 1984, from where he received an MBA degree.

Muhammad Ishaq Dar
  • B. Com,
  • Ishaq Dar completed his education at Government College), Lahore (now Government College University) and Hailey College of Commerce, Punjab University, Lahore (1966–69).
  • He was awarded two gold medals after obtaining the first position in Bachelor of Commerce (honours) at the University of Punjab.
  • After completing his higher education, Dar trained as a chartered accountant.He attended Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW).
  • He earned a fellowship membership (FCA) with ICAEW in 1980 and with ICAP in 1984.
Asad Umar
  • Received a degree in Commerce (B.Com) at the Government College of Commerce & Economics.
  • Graduated from IBA Karachi in 1984, from where he received an MBA degree.
Unfortunately for you I'm not a paindu like yourself that consumes khota biryani on the regular. This is the full picture:

He worked in HSBC Pakistan after graduation for seven months. He joined Exxon Chemical Pakistan in 1985 as a business analyst and was based in Canada. He was the only Pakistani employee of the company. Umar came back to Pakistan to join Engro Corporation in 1985.

In 1997 was appointed the first CEO of Engro Polymer and Chemicals, the petrochemical company of the group.He became the President and CEO of Engro Corporation in 2004. In 2009, he was awarded Sitara-i-Imtiaz for his public service.

He took early retirement as president and CEO from Engro in April 2012 at the age of 50.

Remember he was a glorified fertilizer salesman before he became finmin. He's still dishing out the bullshit.

He wasn't a salesman, he was chief executive of his company before joining the politics. He is an MBA from IBA karachi I believe, so he isn't blank about finance but MBAs usually are not good at economics, the economics job is handeld better by economists rather than MBAs. He does follow blindly the neo-liberal economic model of his predecessors.

Unfortunately for you I'm not a paindu like yourself that consumes khota biryani on the regular. This is the full picture:

He worked in HSBC Pakistan after graduation for seven months. He joined Exxon Chemical Pakistan in 1985 as a business analyst and was based in Canada. He was the only Pakistani employee of the company. Umar came back to Pakistan to join Engro Corporation in 1985.

In 1997 was appointed the first CEO of Engro Polymer and Chemicals, the petrochemical company of the group.He became the President and CEO of Engro Corporation in 2004. In 2009, he was awarded Sitara-i-Imtiaz for his public service.

He took early retirement as president and CEO from Engro in April 2012 at the age of 50.
You have habit of calling other people names like a street punk,grow up learn something other thing using calumny way of calling others like a dingo.
Now coming to topic,both of them in my eyes are useless.Ishaq Dar used his experience for his own gains while Asad Umar is confused as hell.
Running a company and state are two different things.

You have habit of calling other people names like a street punk,grow up learn something other thing using calumny way of calling others like a dingo.
Now coming to topic,both of them in my eyes are useless.Ishaq Dar used his experience for his own gains while Asad Umar is confused as hell.
Running a company and state are two different things.

My name calling bothers you but what doesn't bother you is supporting corrupt looters and plunderers who have raped the country for 30-40 years. Mashallah. :pakistan:

You have your priorities on straight. :partay:

"Chor ko chor bolo tou inko bura lag jata hai"

Remember he was a glorified fertilizer salesman before he became finmin. He's still dishing out the bullshit.

What about the rest of the lot? What's there professional history?

He has good sense of humour. Really hope he performs better as FM than his performance as CEO of Engro, which he almost bankrupted.

My name calling bothers you but what doesn't bother you is supporting corrupt looters and plunderers who have raped the country for 30-40 years. Mashallah. :pakistan:

You have your priorities on straight. :partay:

"Chor ko chor bolo tou inko bura lag jata hai"
From days of my childhood i support there total destruction,no mercy for any bastard.
A good day for Pakostanis would be when Lanti Noora and Hejra would be past.
Chor saley ke gardan ura dou.PTI sarkar in harmaiuo ko dheel dai rahi hain.

Spilling tea with Asad Umar post-IMF: “We were very close to the landing zone; now we have landed”
M Bilal Lakhani in conversation with Finance Minister Asad Umar after his meeting with the IMF in New York City on April 13, 2019.

Right after his meetings with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in Washington, I had the opportunity to sit down for tea with Finance Minister Asad Umar at the Pakistani consulate in New York City. We talked about his negotiations with the IMF, unpacked his outlook on the Pakistani economy as well as the personal toll this job is taking on him.

The second thing I noticed about Umar when he entered the room was how tall he actually is in person. The first thing I noticed was how visibly exhausted he looks. By nature, he is an irrepressibly optimistic man but it’s clear that the weight of the office he holds is bearing down on him (although he attributes his momentary exhaustion to jet lag!).

On negotiations with the IMF, Asad is holding cards very close to his chest but appears to suggest that the deal is ridiculously close and that key outstanding issues are about the pacing of the structural reform (indicating that the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) is trying to protect the Pakistani people from further, immediate, hard-hitting policy interventions).

With that said, over the next three years, Pakistan is very likely to undergo the critical elements of structural reform, which the IMF typically administers for developing countries in a state of financial crisis (in the case of Pakistan, been there, done that, like 13 times!).

Last year, former finance minister, Miftah Ismail delivered the Pakistani economy on a stretcher to Umar, with the economy gasping for breath in the emergency room. Like any doctor, Umar’s first job was to stabilise the patient and make sure he survives, regardless of how painful the treatment may be.

We talked about the shock therapy the economy is experiencing today and unpacked the side effects of the treatment, which are expressing themselves as inflation, depreciation of the rupee and slowed-down growth. Umar is hopeful that Pakistan will be able to emerge from this difficult period over the next two years and return to a path of growth.

On the whole, I came out of the conversation feeling bullish about Umar having good intentions and a fierce personal discipline and competency to solve Pakistan’s problems. I do fear that lack of bureaucratic capacity to execute his policies and high expectations that PTI set for itself are significant challenges that can sink or swim Asad’s reform journey for Pakistan. View our conversation in the video above and let us know what you think.

Source

Advertisement

Last edited:
BTW he couldn't get audience with Steve Mnuchin and Lagarde. I am sure IMF deal is to be inked within next one month. But such optics are not good.

He was the most successful CEO of one of the largest Pakistani multinationals.

Shows how paindu you are if you are comparing Umar's credentials with Dar's. Paindu panay ki bhi hadh hoti hai.

I am the most successful CEO of a company. Does that mean i am now qualified to run a country's finances?

Logic.exe can't be found

Asad Umar made a joke, and while I know that conspiracies are our national past time in Pakistan, let's not get so bent out of shape over an off the cuff joke.

https://news.antiwar.com/2019/04/11/imf-deal-for-ecuador-paved-way-for-assanges-arrest/

What's this?

On negotiations with the IMF, Asad is holding cards very close to his chest but appears to suggest that the deal is ridiculously close and that key outstanding issues are about the pacing of the structural reform (indicating that the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) is trying to protect the Pakistani people from further, immediate, hard-hitting policy interventions).

Well, PTI can take the decision not to go to the IMF, to protect the people from its conditions for the loans. Whatever IMF conditionalities are prescribed, they cannot be imposed without the agreement of PTI under PMIK's leadership.

The responsibility for what is to come economically is PTI's and PTI's alone if it decides to take the IMF bailout.

Last edited:
Guys stop insulting and attacking each other. Do we know Dar/Ismaeel/Umar personally? If we called them would they pick up? Lets not act like street people.

Asad Umar cannot be blamed for what is going on right now. This is the result of 70 plus years of listless leadership, corruption and failure to reform. While India was seizing land from feudal landlords we were bowing down to Ayub Khan. While Turkey was educating its kids, we were hanging Bhutto, while Malaysia was working like slaves to develop...we were living like Downton Abbey characters.

From top to bottom our country needs to get fixed.

In 4 years we will see what he has done and what PTI has done. My suspicion is they will have a number of achievements and a number of failures. Just like previous governments. I think the PTI position to train people, educate them and give them skills that are useful is well founded and will bear fruit. And this is coming from a PMLN "paindu".

And then the people will get to decide who leads next.

Guys stop insulting and attacking each other. Do we know Dar/Ismaeel/Umar personally? If we called them would they pick up? Lets not act like street people.

Asad Umar cannot be blamed for what is going on right now. This is the result of 70 plus years of listless leadership, corruption and failure to reform. While India was seizing land from feudal landlords we were bowing down to Ayub Khan. While Turkey was educating its kids, we were hanging Bhutto, while Malaysia was working like slaves to develop...we were living like Downton Abbey characters.

From top to bottom our country needs to get fixed.

In 4 years we will see what he has done and what PTI has done. My suspicion is they will have a number of achievements and a number of failures. Just like previous governments. I think the PTI position to train people, educate them and give them skills that are useful is well founded and will bear fruit. And this is coming from a PMLN "paindu".

And then the people will get to decide who leads next.

In 4 years, economy will be in a new low.

Then the same people will be cursing Asad Umar.

The issue isn't Asad Umar or Ishaq Dar, the issue is IMF loan and the begging nature of our governments. And the crap governance and priorities.

Look at the senseless waste of taxpayers money by this "honest" government. 120 billion rupees on Rawalpindi roads, billion rupees on goats and chickens.

PTI will destroy the country like it has never been. Then military dictators will take over.

Anyone who has hope from PTI should wake up and see what they're doing to the country right now.

For a party that came to power on promises of human development, sure is funny to see them waste money on goats and chickens and roads.

Back
Top Bottom