What's new

Ardeshir Cowasjee Passed Away

Hundreds gather to say goodbye to Ardeshir Cowasjee

KARACHI: The funeral rites for Ardeshir Cowasjee, the renowned columnist and patriarch of all things Karachi, were held on Tuesday morning in a dignified way befitting of his stature.
His Bath Island residence was packed to capacity with some of the city’s most well-known residents turning up to pay their respects to Cowasjee, who died in Karachi on Sunday.
His children, Ava and Rustom Cowasjee, and his brother, Cyrus, greeted each mourner as they passed by to the place where Cowasjee’s body was laid. After the completion of the rites, his body was to be transported to the Tower of Silence.
Unlike the crowded, far-too-public spectacles that funerals have become, replete with screeching sirens of government cars bearing influential power brokers and their entourages, the air was silent, broken only by the murmurs of people speaking to each other.
Among the hundreds at the Cowasjee residence on Tuesday were Sindh Institute of Urology and Transplantation’s Dr Adibul Hasan Rizvi and Dr Anwar Kazmi, Dr Faridoon Setna and his wife, Dawn Group’s Hameed Haroon and Amber Saigol, Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre Executive Director Dr Tasnim Ahsan, Unilever’s Fareshteh Gati-Aslam, Canvas Gallery’s Sameera Raja, author HM Naqvi and Nazish Ataullah, formerly of Lahore’s National College of Arts.

The house staffers put out a remembrance book as attendees queued up to view his body and pay their respects.
Cowasjee had insisted that his funeral would be open to followers of all faiths, and his belief in a pluralistic Pakistan was evident in those mourning his death: if on one chair, a woman prayed on a rosary and clutched a bouquet of flowers, at another, a woman was clad in a burqa and on a third, a man wore the traditional Zoroastrian prayer skull cap. The attendees reflected the wide social circle that Ardeshir Cowasjee inhabited, and the number of people who had had some interaction with him, however brief – through his columns, his occasional speaking engagement, an off-chance meeting.
Attendees sat by the pool against which Cowasjee was photographed and interviewed countless times. His cars, that he once whizzed around on all over Clifton, were locked up in the garage.
From a window, one could spy his chair, now empty forever.

Hundreds gather to say goodbye to Ardeshir Cowasjee – The Express Tribune
--------------------------------------------------------------

A very critical man but he was a true citizen of Karachi and gave his all to this city. People like him are born once in a lifetime. I wish just once in my life I could have met him.

Good to know Karachi has a Tower of Silence.

Was RazPak trolling me about bodies being kept in the center of Karachi cricket stadium?

P.S. Btw, Parsi funerals are always open to all communities. The prayers at the Bungli etc.

Its only the last stretch towards the Tower that is for Zoroastrians only, and usually no ladies.

The final walk into the Tower is only by the pall bearers (the khandiyas) - the family waits at the outer fence gate.

He was a Parsi. It comes with the territory. The appreciation of skin that is. :no:

Is it a crime for a red blooded man to appreciate the female form? The problem with the subcontinent is that first Islam and then the Victorian Brits completed screwed up our liberal and overtly proudly and openly sexual civilization. Bunch of prudes.

Please do not tell me you are gonna do a mulla on us now. Cowasjee was tame. You guys should have seen Maneckshaw.

Elmo the outraged feminist. However I'm not trolling. Elmo likes to pass herself off as the original Bohemian free spirit here (albeit admittedly the Pakistani version). I am just genuinely surprised that a man harmlessly flirting with a woman can be construed as being "chauvinistic." That too against the larger backdrop of a larger truly chauvinistic and regressive environment.

@vsdoc - next time quote/mention me so that I know you are talking about me -

You are right, his behaviour wasn't chauvinistic - it was downright derogatory.

He always gave me the creeps. To be honest I did not like the feel of his cane on my legs. Not at all. Call me a prude or whatever, but I don't like the idea of an octogenarian checking me out flattering.

Last edited by a moderator:
RIP

big loss for Pakistan really respected & Patriot Pakistani he was....

@vsdoc - next time quote/mention me so that I know you are talking about me -

You are right, his behaviour wasn't chauvinistic - it was downright derogatory.

He always gave me the creeps. To be honest I did not like the feel of his cane on my legs. Not at all. Call me a prude or whatever, but I don't like the idea of an octogenarian checking me out flattering.
@Elmo - I learned how to do this mention thing just recently.

And I did not know it was you he was patting or tapping.

Did you ever tell him that his behavior was not appreciated?

Poor guy must have thought you were secretly enjoying the attention.

@Elmo - I learned how to do this mention thing just recently.

And I did not know it was you he was patting or tapping.

Did you ever tell him that his behavior was not appreciated?

Poor guy must have thought you were secretly enjoying the attention.

I read that before you edited!!!! :P

Nope, I just walked the other way when I saw him next.

As for his attention - yikes!

AC was a pioneer of the shipping industry. he always helped the needy. they never his house without something. he was a neighbour to my sister and her husband in bath island. i enjoyed his op-eds which were hardhitting and he always told the truth based on the information he had.
God Bless his Soul!

I read that before you edited!!!! :P

Nope, I just walked the other way when I saw him next.

As for his attention - yikes!

So you are just dumping on the poor chap for being old.

In his defense, there was something about you that made an 86 year old try.

It should make you feel special. Not creepy.

These guys are old school. They've seen more skin alone than most of today's Pakistan collectively has.

i loved his line 'sala jhoot bolta hai'

i loved his line 'sala jhoot bolta hai'

I heard it was a commonly accepted fact across competing media houses that he was too profane for live TV? :cheers:

@Elmo - the more I read about him, the more I feel you are being harsh on the sweet old bawa.

I heard it was a commonly accepted fact across competing media houses that he was too profane for live TV? :cheers:

Yup. This was in stark contrast to his thoughtful English on paper!

@Elmo - the more I read about him, the more I feel you are being harsh on the sweet old bawa.

Your next carnation should be as a nice young baby :P

Yup. This was in stark contrast to his thoughtful English on paper!

That's Dawn editing-!

I know a bike journalist here in Pune with a similar writing style.

Some of the 30-40 year olds here would know of Dilip Bam.

Maybe not in the same class, but the profanity and style is similar.

Modern journalism is so sterile and soul-less.

Back
Top Bottom