What's new

Arab states have space programs: here on Earth, they need promotion

The SC

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Canada
More countries are investing in space science with its multiple branches, including technology such as satellites and exploration involving missions to the Moon and Mars.

Last week, I took part in COSPAR 2018, the bi-yearly international assembly of space scientists and officials, which this year was held in Pasadena, California. Originally known as the Committee for Space Research, it was created 60 years ago to promote international collaboration in peaceful and beneficial explorations of space. Its conferences are usually attended by up to 3,000 space professionals, although this year the attendance was substantially less, perhaps due to the higher costs of travel to California.

Arab attendance at this year’s conference was much lower than I had expected. I counted only a dozen or so presentations and posters from the Arab world (out of hundreds); in fact, participating Arab countries could be counted on the fingers of one hand; the UAE had, by far, the largest share of Arab contributions.

This is both surprising and unfortunate, considering that a dozen or so Arab states have active – and in some cases highly thriving and ambitious – space programs. Saudi Arabia, for example, has had 13 satellites launched to date, and recently contributed to a lunar communications relay satellite that was launched in support of the upcoming Chinese mission to land a robotic vehicle on the far side of the Moon. The UAE has several satellites in operation: the DubaiSat and Yahsat series, soon to be boosted with KhalifaSat. It will be launching the Amal (Hope) mission to Mars two years from now, and it will be sending an Emirati astronaut to space some time in the near future. Other Arab countries, particularly Egypt, Algeria and Morocco, have also had operational satellites and active space programs.

I learned a lot about the Saudi program from the brochures that the country’s officials distributed at this conference.
Nidhal Guessoum

It is thus important for all Arab space institutions to participate in international meetings to benefit from other countries’ experiences, to avoid duplicating efforts, to have their members (particularly bright youngsters) learn from the hundreds of participants and lectures. At the same time, it is useful to publicize all the efforts that are being made in the Arab world. Indeed, I learned a lot about the Saudi program from the brochures that the country’s officials distributed at this conference.

From the presentations, reports and discussions, I gleaned very interesting insights into both the current space research and the policies and goals that are being pursued.

One core issue in this field is the tension that often exists between the technological aspects of space research and the more fundamental, explorational side of space science. Officials tend to favor the first one, while scientists tend to push more strongly for the second. In this “tug of war,” confusion often takes place over the priorities of space programs, budgets get inflated and program management becomes inefficient.

At the COSPAR meetings, officials from China, Europe and the United States stressed the importance of giving priority to scientific and technological goals in any space program, not to political ones. When scientists propose and develop projects and missions, return on investment will be highest.

Scientists should thus collectively discuss, review and propose projects and scientific goals to governments and funding agencies. On the other hand, scientists should not take over the management of any project, no matter how technically advanced or complex it may be. Visions and strategic directions should be set by officials. Such a multi-level approach ensures maximum strength and efficiency of scientific projects and minimizes conflicts of interest and subjective or political elements.

Space science has become an essential activity of countries seeking to develop both their infrastructures and their human resources. Involving thousands of people from various areas, millions if not billions of dollars, and many years or decades, this area must be managed with vision and careful planning.

http://www.arabnews.com/node/1344566

Back
Top Bottom