What's new

Any idea about replacement of INSAS as standard rifile?

Chola warrior

Reaction score
Country
India
There were some news about tenders for 5 foreign vendors last November and the very next month Saraswat announced that indigenous Multi-caliber rifle on trials.

Can someone clear me about this? Since the gun is on trial it must be already developed full prototype. I personally feel India must use home made standard rifle its kind of pride for a armed forces.

Is there any pics of the new multi-caliber ridle by DRDO?

There were some news about tenders for 5 foreign vendors last November and the very next month Saraswat announced that indigenous Multi-caliber rifle on trials.

Can someone clear me about this? Since the gun is on trial it must be already developed full prototype. I personally feel India must use home made standard rifle its kind of pride for a armed forces.

Hey pal here is the pride of India...purely Indian made, rough, rugged & ready for kill. It comes in multi caliber as well.

THTA4826D79_pestol-pic.jpg

Dude u can search up INSAS rifle on the internet. You'll get all the pics. It looks like a souped up AK-74 no offense to Indians

Saraswat talks much BS....

Until they come up with a working rifle, the Army will have chosen a AR.

Dude u can search up INSAS rifle on the internet. You'll get all the pics. It looks like a souped up AK-74 no offense to Indians

I know about INSAS and im talking about next rifle to be inducted and at least India trying to develop something unlike Pakistan forces adopting cheap guns from China..no offence to Pakistanis

Situation is this- the IA is looking to begin receiving the first deliveres of a 60,000 assault rifle order within the next 12 months. This is the foreign multi-cal rifle deal you are referring to- my hope is either the ARX-160 or the Ceska Brena wins this order. Under the agreement 120,000 will subsequently be produced by the OFB in India so this is a deal for ~200,000 rifles (when the OFB has the licence and ToT they can churn out as many of these ARs as they like) and then there is a second deal for foreign made SMGs and this deal is for 40,000 with full ToT and a subsequent ~100,000 produced by OFB in India- once again with the ToT and licence the OFB can produce these at will subsequently.

Now if you take these des at face value and rule out any furthers since production beyond the figures I have mentioned then these two deals will be enough to equip only ~1/3rd of the IA and will leave millions if INSAS around in the hands of the IA,IAF,IN and CAPFs. So the question arises will these deals eventually lead,through subsequent orders, to the complete phasing out of the INSAS in India? The DRDO's mulit-cal rifle further muddies the waters as I am told that despite this foreign rifle buy the DRDO is still very much intent on delivering their rifle to the IA under the F-INSAS program and that firing trials have commenced already.

So it remains to be seen exactly how the INSAS is replaced ie by the foreign rifle in totality or by both the foreign rifle AND the DRDO's offering but it is clear that by 2017-20 the INSAS will be gone completely from Indian military service.

Situation is this- the IA is looking to begin receiving the first deliveres of a 60,000 assault rifle order within the next 12 months. This is the foreign multi-cal rifle deal you are referring to- my hope is either the ARX-160 or the Ceska Brena wins this order. Under the agreement 120,000 will subsequently be produced by the OFB in India so this is a deal for ~200,000 rifles (when the OFB has the licence and ToT they can churn out as many of these ARs as they like) and then there is a second deal for foreign made SMGs and this deal is for 40,000 with full ToT and a subsequent ~100,000 produced by OFB in India- once again with the ToT and licence the OFB can produce these at will subsequently.

Now if you take these des at face value and rule out any furthers since production beyond the figures I have mentioned then these two deals will be enough to equip only ~1/3rd of the IA and will leave millions if INSAS around in the hands of the IA,IAF,IN and CAPFs. So the question arises will these deals eventually lead,through subsequent orders, to the complete phasing out of the INSAS in India? The DRDO's mulit-cal rifle further muddies the waters as I am told that despite this foreign rifle buy the DRDO is still very much intent on delivering their rifle to the IA under the F-INSAS program and that firing trials have commenced already.

So it remains to be seen exactly how the INSAS is replaced ie by the foreign rifle in totality or by both the foreign rifle AND the DRDO's offering but it is clear that by 2017-20 the INSAS will be gone completely from Indian military service.

So you are saying that IA can pick twice of the rifle for regular infantry.

Ohhhhh.... man, why IA will take the headache of maintenance of two gun simultaneously :hitwall:

So you are saying that IA can pick twice of the rifle for regular infantry.

Ohhhhh.... man, why IA will take the headache of maintenance of two gun simultaneously :hitwall:
Yes, the IA COULD end up with 2 different assault rifles in the occupying the same place and doing the same job. It would be a complety unneeded situation but let's see what happens.

One of the following will replace insas:

Czech multi cal rifle

Israeli Galil ace

Israeli Tavor

US colt Multi cal (based on AR 15)

Beretta ARX 160

DRDO Multi Cal (based on FN 2000 and Tavor)

My money is on either the Beretta or DRDO winning the contract for 2 million plus units.

Thanks, my confusions getting solved now

There were news about getting 60,000 rifles and to be manufactured in large scale by OFB but no confirmations are made about that until now. As Sawaswat said if DRDO developing a muli-cal IA should go for indigenous rifle rather some foreign made as standard rifle.

Btw can you please tell me why there are no pics of that DRDO multi-cal released yet? Its on trial so at least good amount of prototype should have been built I have seen some pics on posters but i really want to see a full prototype.

A country can't even produce a rifle wanna challenge China every time. One word to describe: unbelievable!

We can sell
Some nice rifle to you if you are nice with us.

A country can't even produce a rifle wanna challenge China every time. One word to describe: unbelievable!

We can sell

Yep just like we bought all agni missiles and ABM system from China. :P :D

Yep just like we bought all agni missiles and ABM system from China. :P :D

For gods sake stick to the topic ignore lil trolls.

Someone tell me when can we see the actual pic of Multi-cal rifle from DRDO on trials? why there is so much secrecy

We can sell

Whole world knows how Chinese products are made so fool your so called allys with those rifles

Tell me why India can't make a decent rifle by yourself?
multiple reasons, consistent failure of DRDO in investing adequate funds and HR in rifle design. quality issues plaguing the OFB and the general reluctance of the Army to go for ingenious products made by drdo/ofb.

it is basically a gridlock, OFB/DRDO don't want to invest in R&D because they say IA isn't committed to buy indian made equipment, IA blames them in return for making poor quality equipment. it is a vicious cycle.

Back
Top Bottom