What's new

Another low life conspiracy by west,to defame booming India.

Pitiful I should say. Instead of foul mouthing excellent medical tourism provided by India, they should do something to employ the struggling doctors in their country by reducing the cost of living.

Living in UK has become impossible because of how expensive everything is. This cheap shot was totally uncalled for.

AIDs is most rampant in india.

India has the world's fourth largest population suffering from AIDS.However, the estimated number of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infections in India has declined drastically in recent years — from 5.5 million in 2005 to below 2.5 million in 2007. These new figures are supported by the World Health Organization and UNAIDS

A recent study published in the British medical journal "The Lancet" in (2006) reported an approximately 30% decline in HIV infections among young women aged 15 to 24 years attending prenatal clinics in selected southern states of India from 2000 to 2004 where the epidemic is thought to be concentrated.

Adult (15 years or above) HIV prevalence 0.34%.

Percentage is low, but numbers will be high because India has a billion people. More then the whole Continent of Africa.

I just found the original paper which reported this multi-drug resistant (MDR) metallo-beta-lactamase. The first case was found in a Swedish man of Indian origin.

Below is the abstract of the paper:
A Swedish patient of Indian origin traveled to New Delhi, India, and acquired a urinary tract infection caused by a carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae strain that typed to the sequence type 14 complex. The isolate, Klebsiella pneumoniae 05-506, was shown to possess a metallo-β-lactamase (MBL) but was negative for previously known MBL genes. Gene libraries and amplification of class 1 integrons revealed three resistance-conferring regions; the first contained blaCMY-4 flanked by ISEcP1 and blc. The second region of 4.8 kb contained a complex class 1 integron with the gene cassettes arr-2, a new erythromycin esterase gene; ereC; aadA1; and cmlA7. An intact ISCR1 element was shown to be downstream from the qac/sul genes. The third region consisted of a new MBL gene, designated blaNDM-1, flanked on one side by K. pneumoniae DNA and a truncated IS26 element on its other side. The last two regions lie adjacent to one another, and all three regions are found on a 180-kb region that is easily transferable to recipient strains and that confers resistance to all antibiotics except fluoroquinolones and colistin. NDM-1 shares very little identity with other MBLs, with the most similar MBLs being VIM-1/VIM-2, with which it has only 32.4% identity. As well as possessing unique residues near the active site, NDM-1 also has an additional insert between positions 162 and 166 not present in other MBLs. NDM-1 has a molecular mass of 28 kDa, is monomeric, and can hydrolyze all β-lactams except aztreonam. Compared to VIM-2, NDM-1 displays tighter binding to most cephalosporins, in particular, cefuroxime, cefotaxime, and cephalothin (cefalotin), and also to the penicillins. NDM-1 does not bind to the carbapenems as tightly as IMP-1 or VIM-2 and turns over the carbapenems at a rate similar to that of VIM-2. In addition to K. pneumoniae 05-506, blaNDM-1 was found on a 140-kb plasmid in an Escherichia coli strain isolated from the patient's feces, inferring the possibility of in vivo conjugation. The broad resistance carried on these plasmids is a further worrying development for India, which already has high levels of antibiotic resistance.
You will see who the authors of this paper are and who the principle investigator is. This is what the authors have to say finally: " In a country where there is little control on antibiotic prescriptions, the rapid dissemination of such a plasmid is alarming." Though this is true to some extent, I find it appalling that the PI has to resort to such below the belt level attacks to ensure research funding from various funding agencies. They conveniently ignore to address the grave issues which give rise to infections in patients admitted in their NHS hospitals!

Here is another interesting fact: "This work was funded by EU grant LSHM-CT-2005-018705 and Wellcome Trust grant 084627/Z/08."

Secondly, "In early August a chemical compound, GSK-299423, was found to significantly fight against antibiotic-resistent bacteria by making such bacteria unable to reproduce, citing a likely treatment to the NDM-1 strain."

GSK-299423 - a compound made and being tested by GlaxoSmithKline - the pharmaceutical company!

GSK funds the research in UK, blames it on India and develops a drug which they claim to fight this enzyme. Apparently, due to lack of knowledge among masses, this enzyme can be destroyed by other categories of antibiotics. But then this fact is conveniently omitted by various reports.

^^ Nice job, Gubbi. Just a little nitpick,
this enzyme can be destroyed by other categories of antibiotics.
. Beta l'mase is not destroyed by antibiotics. They can be resistant to beta l'mase (e.g. cloxacilline) but not destroy it.

There are other molecule like clavulinic acid which can do this job and are given in combination with antibiotics!

On topic, I won't say much as gubbi is dissecting this report very nicely.The facts in this report are correct (at least the concepts not sure about diagnosis of patients) but the interpretation and inference is as biased, as malicious , as devious.....in short as firangi as it can be!

Working to be one, not the medicine dispensing kind but the other (labrat) kind!

Btw, I know someone who works for the NHS (in Manchester).

Darn it! guess I'll have to flirt with the pharmacist again to get a refill..

the original articles says "patients coming from visiting India and Pakistan" ...common India and Pakistan don't share anything...we only fight for it!!!

^^ Nice job, Gubbi. Just a little nitpick,. Beta l'mase is not destroyed by antibiotics. They can be resistant to beta l'mase (e.g. cloxacilline) but not destroy it.

There are other molecule like clavulinic acid which can do this job and are given in combination with antibiotics!

On topic, I won't say much as gubbi is dissecting this report very nicely.The facts in this report are correct (at least the concepts not sure about diagnosis of patients) but the interpretation and inference is as biased, as malicious , as devious.....in short as firangi as it can be!

Bang on. I guess in my haste I forgot to proof-read what I posted.

What I actually meant was that the bacteria which carry this enzyme can be destroyed by other antibiotics which cannot be chewed up by this particular enzyme.

Thanks Ganimi Kawa, for pointing that out.

AIDs is most rampant in india.

I suggest u not to post without home work.

I have said that AIDS should be named USA because AIDS was originated from USA. As they have named so called super bug after new delhi then it correct to say that name AIDS as USA. And they blame Africa as they control media and don't subscribe to anything wrong in the world due to America.

I think now u get it.

I have heard that this bacteria is very common,the brits out of jealousy against India are making fake claims,poor Brits ,their lowering importance at international stage and yes their economy:sick:

I suggest u not to post without home work.

I have said that AIDS should be named USA because AIDS was originated from USA. As they have named so called super bug after new delhi then it correct to say that name AIDS as USA. And they blame Africa as they control media and don't subscribe to anything wrong in the world due to America.

I think now u get it.

AIDS did not originate in US. Infact the virus which causes AIDS, the HIV first originated in non-human primates - meaning chimpanzees as SIV (simian immunodeficiency virus), in the sub-saharan Africa and was transfered to man back in the late 1800's or early 1900's! The first clinically documented case of HIV as the agent causing AIDS was reported in 1981.

For more read this: Origin of AIDS

Darn it! guess I'll have to flirt with the pharmacist again to get a refill..

Damn those pharmacists! Unauthorised destribution of a'biotics by has been one of the biggest cause of these "resistant, superbug, great kahuna, mogambo" types of microbes to emerge!They are the biggest headache for clinicians everywhere.......

........And now we have one more reason to hate them! :lol:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom