What's new

Ancient artefacts and statues discovered near Badin

Sugarcane

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
56052dddb5aa3.jpg

BADIN: Ancient artefacts and statues, reportedly dating back centuries, were discovered by the residents of village Vidhri Chak, near Shadi Large area of Badin.

The discovery came as a result of recent rains in the area which unearthed the artefacts on river Hakro’s dry riverbed.

The artefacts are said to be influenced by Buddhist culture.

“Many of the statues and artefacts are made of brass, copper and ivory,” said Habib Lund, a villager who was part of the group which found the objects.

Habib added that after finding a few pieces, a group of villagers from his village started excavations in the area and unearthed more statues and artefacts.

“We used to discover similar artefacts from the area and we request the government to start proper archaeological excavations at the site,” added Habib.

Local archaeologists and historians working in the Wango area told Dawn that this place was the site of an ancient city which used to be the capital for lower Sindh and Thar.

“This region was of prime importance and centuries ago acted as the centre of various civilizations,” said Mashkoor Phalkaro, a local historian and researcher.

Another historian, Abu Bakar Shaikh said that the objects discovered suggest that they are centuries old when Dravidian culture was predominant in the region.

Zulfiqar Kalhoro, along with other anthropologists and an archaeologist, told Dawn that the artefacts discovered are of great importance and belong to the Buddhist religion.

Area residents and local historians have requested the government to take over the site and start proper excavations to unearth the remains of the ancient capital.

5605083848588.jpg

560508378eed6.jpg

560508386fbf4.jpg

5605083916403.jpg

Ancient artefacts and statues discovered near Badin - Pakistan - DAWN.COM

PS: I think Mr. Habib should drop his last name

That is back side of this one
560508378eed6.jpg

See the hair style and fan position

56052dddb5aa3.jpg

overall all the statues gives a mix culture feel, a turban, a monk and japanese lady is not simple combination
thank you for correcting me.

Very interesting. I hope someone wakes up in time before place is pillaged by thiefs. It is our heritage and needs to be protected. And then we have Sindh Govt there! Alas!

Great find!

Our Indus Valley Civilization has still a great number of hidden treasures to be discovered...

What concerns me about these is that they look like fakes especially the brass one. Brass does not survive centuries underground. I could be mistaken but it needs a proper analysis by competent archaeologist with current dating methodologies..

we must save it to our national museum , cause it is our national asset

What concerns me about these is that they look like fakes especially the brass one. Brass does not survive centuries underground. I could be mistaken but it needs a proper analysis by competent archaeologist with current dating methodologies..
good point.

not an archaeologist or expert but they do look suspiciously pristine for having just been dug out after centuries below ground and presumably not been through the the hi tech restoration techniques finds like these (I imagine) require.

hmm

Back
Top Bottom