What's new

Analysis: Pakistan and Iran: Friends or foes?

Huh? Arre bhai RazPaK, please read the demography of Pakistan! You keep shooting from the hip without adequate knowledge! And you claim to be a Pakistani? :fie::P

The remainder 60-70% are Sunnis. About 5% are Hindus, Christians etc. So, wasn't I right when I said that Pakistan is a Sunni majority country? And Iran, Shia majority? :P So how was my analysis 'crap'?

You did not take into account of the demographics. I like when you speak the truth, but your analysis was crap. Sunni Shia thing is not happening in Pakistan as it is happening in the Middle East.

I like when you speak the truth, but your analysis was crap. Sunni Shia thing is not happening in Pakistan as it is happening in the Middle East.
Agreed! But the fact is that Pakistan is a Sunni majority country whereas Iran is Shia majority. The ideology of the majority counts. And the reason why SA and Iran are at loggerheads.

Agreed! But the fact is that Pakistan is a Sunni majority country whereas Iran is Shia majority. The ideology of the majority counts. And the reason why SA and Iran are at loggerheads.

KSA and Iran is not our concern, but for someone who has supposedly visited Pakistan, you don't understand the dynamics of our nation at at all.

KSA and Iran is not our concern, but for someone who has supposedly visited Pakistan, you don't understand the dynamics of our nation at at all.
I had gone to Pakistan on business and some good times, which needless to say I had. Not for studying the dynamics of Pakistan's international relations!! :P :-)

Iran and Pakistan appear to be on a collision course that will in all likelihood leave relations severely strained in the years ahead.
A serious flashpoint between Pakistan and Iran is taking place farther away in Syria. Many media outlets and private intelligence firms have confirmed that recent Pakistani-Saudi Arabian defense cooperation meetings have been aimed at reaching an agreement whereby Riyadh would purchase military arms from Islamabad for Syrian opposition forces. From what I glean Saudi funds will be used to purchase Chinese shoulder-launched anti-aircraft missiles and anti-tank missile among other weapon that will be smuggled into Syria via Jordan.
Such a deal would place Pakistan and Iran closer to direct confrontation as Iranian troops and their Hezbollah allies have long been operating in Syria in an effort to shore up the Bashar al-Assad government. Should Pakistani supplied arms bring down an Iranian transport plane Tehran would be hard pressed not to retaliate against Pakistan in some fashion.
Whoa!!!
Pakistan has ended up ruffling feathers in the region.Is it time for complete isolation now?? :coffee:

It's a calculated risk that Nawaz is taking - Pakistan intends to dramatically change it's foreign policy - something on India's line i.e. reach out to all. But he is intentionally sidelining the Iranians which is quite obvious.

The running with the hare and hunting with the hound policy though will bring short term benefits like petro dollars and US aid but is not going to earn any favours in the long term for sure.

Pakistani leaders aren't too foresighted and the screw up will continue unfortunately.

Our Relationship with Iran is now very compound Because Iran is Anti American state and we purely are Pro American State this is the major difference between Iran and Pak. And as far as Islamic brotherhood is concerned it is very clear in history..
no sir, i guess you are a child.
iran is shia extremist state (just like Saudi Arabia being sunni state)and we are sunni majority country.
iran cant have good relationship with any sunni state or sunni majority country.
its just how things are, i dont think so it would change.

no sir, i guess you are a child.
iran is shia extremist state (just like Saudi Arabia being sunni state)and we are sunni majority country.
iran cant have good relationship with any sunni state or sunni majority country.
its just how things are, i dont think so it would change.
totally agree, That what i was saying in 2nd section of my post the stance of iran is clear nd we can see it clearly.. there is no real term like Brotherhood now because of Sunni Shia thing

totally agree, That what i was saying in 2nd section of my post the stance of iran is clear nd we can see it clearly.. there is no real term like Brotherhood now because of Sunni Shia thing

yup thats the point.
until the Shah period pakistan had very nice relationships with iran but after that we had never good relationships.
e.g in 1980s iran even threatened to attack pakistan
even today iran is burning excess gas but isnt lenient in any gas prices towards us.

US hasn't snubbed KSA
Hmmm...that should explain KSA's recent angry reactions towards USA.

EyanKhan said:
Yes but there has been some distancing as well , the other GCC states retain their old status i.e they will not tolerate a nuclear Iran and same goes for the West . There has been no significant break through for Iran yet.
Though if Iran does open to the west our relations with them can improve significantly.
From what i glean UAE is interested in furthering bilateral ties with Iran.And that should be the reason FNC Speaker visited Iranian President.Though the island disputes aren't resolved yet.

cb4 said:
Indeed money is a big concern for us. If you consider the economic situation of Pakistan, it compels our politicians to look for easy money. So far there is no proof this easy money causes to shift alliances. Iran should understand that Saudi money for Pakistan has been used inside Pakistan. The negative side was that it was being used to create Taliban and Al-Qaeda against Soviet Union. The only positive side was the fact that the nuclear program was kept alive to counter India and Oil came in during sanctions. In these cases, i don't see Iran being connected. I'm not exactly sure what the recent $1.5 billion is for but it is interesting to note that the politicians of Pakistan have this time announced this story without a question
As I said there are no free lunches in foreirgn diplomacy.KSA is seeking a large number of Pakistani troops along the Yemeni border and for internal security.Pakistan which had initially maintained a neutral stance against Assad has now come out in the open against Assad.And it has confirmed its support for KSA in establishing a transitional governing body in Syria and that this was a part of the 1.5billion deal.

It's a calculated risk that Nawaz is taking - Pakistan intends to dramatically change it's foreign policy - something on India's line i.e. reach out to all. But he is intentionally sidelining the Iranians which is quite obvious.

The running with the hare and hunting with the hound policy though will bring short term benefits like petro dollars and US aid but is not going to earn any favours in the long term for sure.

Pakistani leaders aren't too foresighted and the screw up will continue unfortunately.
No doubt it!!!

As I said there are no free lunches in foreirgn diplomacy.KSA is seeking a large number of Pakistani troops along the Yemeni border and for internal security.Pakistan which had initially maintained a neutral stance against Assad has now come out in the open against Assad.And it has confirmed its support for KSA in establishing a transitional governing body in Syria and that this was a part of the 1.5billion deal
Source please?

I see Iran as a threat & Iran cannot be trusted one bit.

US needs Iran because Iran fulfills the needs of US.

Back
Top Bottom