What's new

An Expat Pakistani's Tribute to Pakistan

Meengla

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
While the whole article itself is inspiring, one 'comment' by an expat Pakistani is very inspiring, coming from an expat who was afraid to visit Pakistan for 10 years.

Why Pakistan is not a failed state | Blog | DAWN.COM

bq45 December 22, 2012 7:41 am
This November, I visited Pakistan after 10 year’s absence. This lapse was partly due to my heavy working schedule but mainly due to what I saw in the Western TV, Pakistani media and the scary stories told by my Pakistani and foreign friends living in Europe.
The constant demonization of Pakistan made me scared. I was indeed afraid to set foot on the ground of a land, I so immensely love and am proud of. The situation became so absurd that every year, I made plans to visit Pakistan but at the eleventh hour chicken out.
Finally, I said to myself: in spite of all the problems, millions of other Pakistanis visit their motherland every year so I should put asides my fears and make a leap of faith. One of the positive influences for this decision was an invitation from my niece who begged me to come to her wedding.
I was told by friends, not to travel by PIA – Pakistan International Airline, because of the bad service, unreliable flying schedule, old planes and expensive prices.
I was warned that I should not wear western clothes because it will make me a kidnapping target, do not go out in the street after 10 p.m and certainly not to walk around with my expensive camera or use IPhone in public. On top of this, another very sound advice was dished to me by many. I should not discuss Islam with anyone, even my own family because of Blasphemy laws. Since I was very critical of religious monopolists, I may end up in jail if I was reported.
In short, I was told to mingle with crowd, keep my mouth shut and appear poor.
In all my world travels from Indonesia to USA, I have never been so warned and alarmed as of this trip to my own motherland.
Against all warnings, I bought a ticket by PIA, which turned out to be a blessing. It was cheaper than other international carriers, the service was great, the plane was a new and the flights were on time. First prejudice turned out to be false.
In the ensuing 3 weeks, I spent in Pakistan, I visited the capital Islamabad, large cities like Rawalpindi, Lahore and Gujrat as well as numerous middle and small towns. I wore suits, walked on foot, rode on motorbike and cars and other means of transport. No one even looked at me with any envy, concern or suspicion, let alone try to kidnap, harass or intimidate.
As far as speaking openly, I delivered lectures at the prestigious Fatima Jinnah Women University, at Islamabad Rotary club, was guest of honour at a Think Tank in Islamabad, celebrating inter-culturalism, was interviewed at radio stations, by newspapers and had heated discussions at my brothers home with relatives, guests and even two guys from Pakistan’s FBI. Issues discussed were Islam, the role of religious parties and how Pakistan can move forward. Not once, I was arrested, reported or even labelled as Blasphemous person.
There were many other remarkable good changes, I witnessed during my stay. The flourishing of a fantastic amount of small businesses, the abundance of food, the schools, colleges and universities, Internet cafes and youngsters striving to educate themselves, especially girls. I especially noticed the improved infrastructures, highways, super expressways, the extensive use of mobiles, very versatile electronic media with 70 channels – broadcasting 24 hours programs, right from religion, sports, news, political discussions, family problems, music, arts, criticism of government, food, comedies, films and every other topic, you can think of.
But above all, what impressed me most was the hospitality, graciousness, generosity, sincerity and willingness to please, which is the hallmark of Pakistani people. In the parties, at shops, in private get-togethers and at the homes of total strangers, the pleasure people exhibit in inviting and entertaining others to be their guests is indescribable. They do not correct you if you make a mistake, do not accuse you if you do not show good manners and are really apologetic, if they feel that you are not eating a full meal.
To someone who has not been to Pakistan, this may sound a very exaggerated tale of patriotism and critic-less view of Pakistani society. It may be so but after being witness to 10 years of Pakistan bashing in the west, which has declared Pakistan a failed state, called it a country on the verge of breaking up and where Taliban are running around in streets, my western acquired prejudices were laid to rest, once for all.
Having seen things with my own eyes, experienced the society at close hand and talking to ordinary Pakistanis, I came out with a very beautiful feeling about this land of the pure. No doubt, Pakistan has problems, immense difficulties – economic, social, political and institutional, like all other countries in the developing world.
But we should remember that it is a country, which appeared on the map of the world only 65 years ago. It had no resources, very little money to start with and many odds stacked against it. It survived through the shear will power of its people and it is now progressing – slowly and steadily. To call it a failed state by some western countries and few international surveys is not only unfair but smells of a calculated political agenda. I would advise such armchair annalists to get out of their comfortable offices in Washington D.C, London and Paris and go visit Pakistan. You would be pleasantly surprised of the development, progress and tenacity of the people of Pakistan. They may not be rich according to your parameters of living standards but they are definitely, very rich in culture, history, in hospitality and are moving in the right path.
If you can not support them in their continuous efforts to improve, please stop putting them down and discouraging them.

I have been trying to tel all this in bits and pieces in all my posts here. But posters from across the border are out in numbers to prove everything wrong is with Pakistan. Its the media effect of portraying Pakistan in negative light. A negative Pakistan sell very well in the west here.

I have been trying to tel all this in bits and pieces in all my posts here. But posters from across the border are out in numbers to prove everything wrong is with Pakistan. Its the media effect of portraying Pakistan in negative light. A negative Pakistan sell very well in the west here.

There is not a lot that we can do about this given that the world media is not in our control. The media will sing the tunes of the people in charge, the people in charge who's interests do not align themselves with a healthy image of Pakistan. So the media will keep on spewing this. Some will believe it because they are gullible, others will believe it because they want to and only a few will question it. In the meantime we best cater to our own interests and at least get a hold on our own media which has gone rabid.

Back
Top Bottom