What's new

An encounter with a Facebook friend in Kashmir | Write2kill

Shamil Khan

New Recruit

Reaction score
Source : FRONTLINE KASHMIR

By : Subir Ghosh

I was a tad surprised when he told me that he wouldn’t be able to meet me late evening since it was late, and he would have to return home. You don’t always expect guys to rush homewards just because it is a trifle late. We had initially planned to meet early evening, but another appointment had held me up. So we caught up on phone, and fixed 8:30 the morrow morn for a tête-à-tête.

Since you don’t expect things to move at the same pace in Kashmir as it does in Delhi, I took it easy. I was late from word go; he wasn’t. The young man was there in the hotel lobby on time. The pleasantries done, we exchanged notes. Real ones this time, and not the Facebook kinds as we had often shared earlier. For this was a guy I had come to know from the world’s largest social networking site.

I had known him for a year or so, and had often fallen back on him for information. He had ungrudgingly come to my aid whenever I needed help with research. The info he provided was always based on sources whose veracity I could not question. One could not find a bias anywhere. There were times when I was moved by the amount that he would type only to help me in my work.

And then there was this evening when I found him doing weird stuff– the kind of silly things you do on Facebook when you are sitting idle. “Don’t have anything better to do?” I inboxed him. Pat came his reply, “What to do? There’s curfew outside. Can’t do anything else.” I chuckled. Cute young fella, I thought.

I had expected him to be affable, and this he was. He was also open-minded, candid. He said he had a Pakistan bent of mind. He also said the younger lot wanted neither India nor Pakistan; but complete independence. He did not seem to have issues there. I did not have any with him either. But funny that he talked of a "younger" lot; this fella himself is still in his twenties, I grinned to myself.

Yet his appearance, the way he presented himself was a bit misleading. I realised this in the course of our hurried conversation – when he dropped a bombshell. His brother, younger to him, had gone missing last year, shortly before the street protests had begun. A few days later, his body was recovered. It took close to a year for the family to get the relevant papers. And this had just happened.

It hit me hard. Disappearances and killings were what had dominated our exchanges on Facebook, but never for once had he told me of his own loss. I could see him putting up a brave face, his grief hidden behind his charming smile. I thought I saw his eyes glisten a bit when he said that his brother had been his backbone. Not the backbone bit, but I could relate to what it might mean for a man to lose his younger brother. I remember throwing up my own younger brother in the air when he was a toddler. Just for kicks.

My Facebook friend needed to rush to work, and our meeting had to be brought to a — to borrow a cliche — grinding halt. I hung around Srinagar for quite a few days more, but couldn’t find the time to meet him again.

As I kept interacting with people, from all walks of life, it slowly began to sink in. Most parents in Kashmir frantically wait for their sons to return to their hearth. And so would have been his parents. That was the reason why he had to ditch me that evening, and head for home.

I don’t know when I might visit Kashmir a second time. Or whether I will ever meet him again. But I do hope that he returns to his parents every evening.

PS: This piece could have well been titled Where parents wait for their sons to return home.

Such incidents must have happened in actually in p.o.k ... but no freedom of media there as in J&K.
Mods please close this thread.

This thread should be deleted as it violates rules and posted in wrong section other then kashmir war.

This thread should be deleted as it violates rules and posted in wrong section other then kashmir war.

Kashmir War sub-forum is not available to me and that's why i'm posting my content on this forum and still it is no way violating the terms as the content is directly related to Indian Army and the atrocities committed by them in Kashmir

it is very unsafe for Kashmiris to upload pictures of bandhs or protests to facebook; even doing political discussions

I actually am in regular touch with a Kashmiri student at Islamia College based in Sri Nagar. He often tells me that the occupational forces (AKA sissies) are monitoring these sites and in fact --there have been incidents where indian occupation forces knock on the doors and harass/arrest people (mostly young men but also women) for covering the unrest and uprising against the occupation.

more on it:

FT.com / Asia-Pacific - Police threaten Kashmiri Facebook users

Indian police battling to control anti-India protests in the troubled province of Kashmir are accusing Facebook users of using the social networking site to instigate civil unrest.

Over the past month of clashes that left 15 people dead in the restive province, young Kashmiris have used Facebook and YouTube to report on the events, upload images of the violence, and express their anger.

Indian authorities are now threatening to prosecute Kashmiris using Facebook and other sites to spread images and ideas that they say are inflammatory.

Local human rights groups say several Kashmiri Facebook users have received phone calls from police asking about their activities and ordering them to report to the police station. As a result, many Kashmiris are now deactivating their Facebook accounts and re-registering under false names.

“So far it’s intimidation,” said Khurram Parvez, co-ordinator of the Jammu and Kashmir Coalition of Civil Society. “They are monitoring whosoever writes what.”

Kashmir, the picturesque Himalayan valley at the centre of a decades-old dispute between India and Pakistan, remained tense at the weekend. Many towns were placed under curfew after residents of the northern town of Baramulla claimed a teenage boy had drowned in a river after being chased by police following a protest.

Meanwhile, hardline factions of the separatist Hurriyat Conference have called for strikes and other protests against Indian rule through the week.

One person who asked not to be identified said he received phone calls from police after he uploaded a clip of two teenagers bleeding to death after being shot by police in Anantnag.

“Indian media never shows such pictures,” said the 27-year-old social worker. “There was no mischievous intent on my part. People here already know everything...I wanted the outside world to see.”

Farrukh Faheem, a Delhi University professor visiting Anantnag, said he temporarily deactivated his account to avoid any trouble with police. “We have curfewed nights and days, and now we have a curfewed virtual world,” he said.

Indian authorities have been waging an escalating battle against new communication technologies that they fear are being used to mobilise Kashmiri public opinion and organise protests against Indian rule.

Last year, New Delhi banned the use of pre-paid mobile phone cards in Kashmir , citing their potential for misuse by “terrorists,” a decision that left around 3.8m Kashmir phone users disconnected. Nationally, around 90 per cent of Indian phone users have prepaid cards, which require no monthly fee.

New Delhi’s ban on the popular services in Kashmir sparked protests and a Supreme Court challenge, forcing authorities to reverse the decision. Even still, subscribers are now subjected to verification procedures not used elsewhere. Text messaging is also banned in Kashmir.

However, Facebook poses a new challenge, as it gains popularity as a forum for dissent and spreading creative ideas for civil disobedience to challenge Indian rule.

“Facebook is actually becoming one of the platforms connecting Kashmiris and disseminating uncensored information,” said Mr Parvez. “We can organise a public meeting. This is the only democratic space available.”

Our Page FRONTLINE KASHMIR was once hacked by Indian hackers. Admins were threatened by agencies, police and even one of our core member was arrested by them. Now Telecom Authority of India has blocked our page FRONTLINE KASHMIR in India and Kashmir though it is still visible in other parts of word. It was largest Pro-freedom kashmiri page with 29,000 members. We have launched a new page now

Click on the Link

Our Page FRONTLINE KASHMIR was once hacked by Indian hackers. Admins were threatened by agencies, police and even one of our core member was arrested by them. Now Telecom Authority of India has blocked our page FRONTLINE KASHMIR in India and Kashmir though it is still visible in other parts of word. It was largest Pro-freedom kashmiri page with 29,000 members. We have launched a new page now

Click on the Link

it's funny you mention it --- Sikandar (the guy i talk to) mentioned this FB page.

it's true they blocked it, though they usually just use proxy servers to access it. It isn't too difficult.

Back
Top Bottom