What's new

Americans Are Convinced That China Is The Most Powerful Economy In The Worl

This reminds me of a story i once heard about Americans. During the Vietnam War (1965-1973) large numbers of young men volunteered to fight in Vietnam. Sociologist in major American universities wanted to investigate and understand this phenomenon. When they asked these persons why they volunteered to fight in Vietnam a large number of them gave the answer that they thought that Vietnam border the United States and that they went there to protect America's borders. These men simply didn't know that Vietnam was on the other side of the world and that the only two countries bordering the US is Canada and Mexico. It seems that after more than 40 years things in America hasn't changed all that much.

This reminds me of a story i once heard about Americans. During the Vietnam War (1965-1973) large numbers of young men volunteered to fight in Vietnam. Sociologist in major American universities wanted to investigate and understand this phenomenon. When they asked these persons why they volunteered to fight in Vietnam a large number of them gave the answer that they thought that Vietnam border the United States and that they went there to protect America's borders. These men simply didn't know that Vietnam was on the other side of the world and that the only two countries bordering the US is Canada and Mexico. It seems that after more than 40 years things in America hasn't changed all that much.
I once heard a story about Bigfoot, the Yeti, and the Abominbable Snowman...

Well, I experienced personally when I was in the US that an American really asked me whether we have phones in Germany, another guy told me that we don't have apples to eat, a third one asked me whether we speak French, the fourth one ... well, these were basic information, not something one only knows after a long visit or learnt the language and culture.

There are all kinds of ignorant people in the world, but the US as a supposedly highly developed country really gets the prize for being ignorant.

America needs a powerful enemy. The "Islamic terrorists" is a natural choice but they are not a real country. So this burden falls on China.

How about; it's all digital money these days. and we don't have enough gold to print enough gold coins, mkay?
[end of attempt to upkeep geo-political stability by keeping the U.S.A. as the bad-cop police officer of Earth, a role which I find very useful as a loyal member of NATO]

I once heard a story about Bigfoot, the Yeti, and the Abominbable Snowman...

The story may or may not be true but you cannot deny the level of ignorence amongst the Americans. Despite fighting 2 wars in Iraq and Afghanistan for the past decade many Americans still cannot find either country on a map. Or the fact like this survey shows that a majority of the people polled don't know that America has the world's largest economy. Only about a quarter to one third knows that America has the world's largest economy.

Götterdämmerung;3990328 said:
Well, I experienced personally when I was in the US that an American really asked me whether we have phones in Germany, another guy told me that we don't have apples to eat, a third one asked me whether we speak French, the fourth one ... well, these were basic information, not something one only knows after a long visit or learnt the language and culture.

There are all kinds of ignorant people in the world, but the US as a supposedly highly developed country really gets the prize for being ignorant.

Most Americans aren't that dumb though but you do come by some doozies every once in awhile. I was in the Oregon 10 years ago and was asked where I was from. I told him that, "I'm from Ontario, Canada". He asked me, "What state is that in?" I told him, "New York"

Also, to be fair, many Germans speak French. In Europe, to be considered educated, you'd have to speak at least 3 languages, correct?

Götterdämmerung;3990328 said:

I once met a German in Baumholder who asked why am I an American since he believed that all blacks in America are citizens of Africa, so only white people can be Americans.

The story may or may not be true...
Am shocked...Shocked...!!! I say...

You have any idea how much American soldiers -- or any soldier from any country -- like to toy with journalists? When I was stationed at MacDill AFB in Florida, since the base is an F-16 training base, sometimes we host foreign pilots who have their countries' journalists covering their countrymen in America, so we often tell those foreign journalists -- in low voices -- that we have F-16N where the 'N' stands for 'nuclear' propulsion.

...but you cannot deny the level of ignorence amongst the Americans. Despite fighting 2 wars in Iraq and Afghanistan for the past decade many Americans still cannot find either country on a map. Or the fact like this survey shows that a majority of the people polled don't know that America has the world's largest economy. Only about a quarter to one third knows that America has the world's largest economy.
Stale sh1t. I doubt that most Chinese can do the same. I bet the Chinese workers for ASUS or for Walmart cannot find US on the map.

Most Americans aren't that dumb though but you do come by some doozies every once in awhile. I was in the Oregon 10 years ago and was asked where I was from. I told him that, "I'm from Ontario, Canada". He asked me, "What state is that in?" I told him, "New York"
Probably he was messing with you. A lot of Americans joke -- with straight faces -- that Canada is our 52nd state. I said the same to a bunch of Canadians at Maple Flag and they all laughed.

I once met a German in Baumholder who asked why am I an American since he believed that all blacks in America are citizens of Africa, so only white people can be Americans.

That of course is ignorant on his part, but can be explained from a historical perspective since pretty much all European countries are made of a single ethnicity and the Hollywood propaganda of what is considered mainstream USA in regard of skin colour and minorities till the 1990's, those false perception of the US were in many cases made by the USA and projected onto the world.

Götterdämmerung;3990862 said:
That of course is ignorant on his part, but can be explained from a historical perspective since pretty much all European countries are made of a single ethnicity and the Hollywood propaganda of what is considered mainstream USA in regard of skin colour and minorities till the 1990's, those false perception of the US were in many cases made by the USA and projected onto the world.
Your kind of European petty one upmanship is usually tolerantly smiled upon by Americans. We know why and we understand the need for it.

Probably he was messing with you. A lot of Americans joke -- with straight faces -- that Canada is our 52nd state. I said the same to a bunch of Canadians at Maple Flag and they all laughed.

Ya probably. All in good fun.

Back
Top Bottom