What's new

American trainee talks of ‘pretty different’ culture of batmen serving officers

vivINDIAN

Reaction score
Country
India
SOURCE: The Telegraph.

02newslaura_195113.jpg

An American army officer’s account of her time training in Agra has given a glimpse into the class-system in the Indian Army and has stoked once again the debate of assigningsahayaks — or batmen — who are often required to do personal work of officers.

First Lieutenant Laura Condyles’ account, narrated to the US army’s official publicity wing, suggests she had a grand time during her 52-day course at the Para Training School in Agra in August-September.

But the insight it shares — that the Indian Army differentiates sharply between officers and soldiers and that it operates with poor infrastructure — have made senior officials here take note.

There are exceptions to the sahayak rule — not all officers ask the batmen to do personal work — but that does not shine through in Condyles’ narration.

The Indian Army’s structure “is pretty different,” the US army official wire release quotes the 25-year-old parachute rigger-qualified officer as saying.

“When you are an officer on post, they cook your meal for you, or they deliver it to your room. They clean your bathroom for you every day. They mop your floors in your room every day. They even make your bed for you every day, and they do your laundry every single day,” says Condyles.

The observations make Indian Army officers touchy. Former army chief General V.K. Singh had proposed to do away with the sahayak system and replace them with civilians. He had argued it was not proper for professional soldiers to be forced to do such work.

A parliamentary standing committee has also recommended the abolition of the system dating back to the British Indian Army. The British have done away with it.

But Condyles says that life was difficult in Agra, even with the conveniences. “I had electricity about 40 to 50 per cent of the time,” she says in the account.

The parachute rigger-qualification course trains soldiers in lashing and packaging equipment, including food and hardware, for airdrops. Many of the Indian Army’s forward posts — such as those in Siachen — are “air-maintained”.

Laura Condyles said she was the first foreign officer to qualify with an ‘I” grade — meaning she showed skills good enough for her to be an instructor. “I got it! I’m the first foreign officer that’s ever gotten the “i” grade before, so that was pretty neat!”

“I loved it! I had a great time,” said Condyles. “The cool thing was I’m the first American that went to the course. They had other foreign officers that went to this course before too, one from Sri Lanka, one from Ethiopia, from Nepal, and Pakistan.”

The American officer is wrong when she says a Pakistani was also part of the course. The Indian Army has no personnel exchange programme with Pakistan.

“They drop live animals,” she was quoted. “They put chickens and goats on a platform and drop them in for food”.

Condyles said cows would often enter the air force station in Agra and even the hangars in which the equipment was parachute-rigged. Among the rations dropped during the course were bagged items, tent supplies, bottles, hay, medical provisions, fish, meat on hoof, meat dressed, frozen meat, chicken dressed, chicken alive, fruits and vegetables, and fuel, oil and lubricants.

“At their motor pools they have temples. So, before you get into a military vehicle and drive away, you have to pray to the gods.” Condyles said.

SOURCE: The Telegraph.

02newslaura_195113.jpg

An American army officer’s account of her time training in Agra has given a glimpse into the class-system in the Indian Army and has stoked once again the debate of assigningsahayaks — or batmen — who are often required to do personal work of officers.

First Lieutenant Laura Condyles’ account, narrated to the US army’s official publicity wing, suggests she had a grand time during her 52-day course at the Para Training School in Agra in August-September.

But the insight it shares — that the Indian Army differentiates sharply between officers and soldiers and that it operates with poor infrastructure — have made senior officials here take note.

There are exceptions to the sahayak rule — not all officers ask the batmen to do personal work — but that does not shine through in Condyles’ narration.

The Indian Army’s structure “is pretty different,” the US army official wire release quotes the 25-year-old parachute rigger-qualified officer as saying.

“When you are an officer on post, they cook your meal for you, or they deliver it to your room. They clean your bathroom for you every day. They mop your floors in your room every day. They even make your bed for you every day, and they do your laundry every single day,” says Condyles.

The observations make Indian Army officers touchy. Former army chief General V.K. Singh had proposed to do away with the sahayak system and replace them with civilians. He had argued it was not proper for professional soldiers to be forced to do such work.

A parliamentary standing committee has also recommended the abolition of the system dating back to the British Indian Army. The British have done away with it.

But Condyles says that life was difficult in Agra, even with the conveniences. “I had electricity about 40 to 50 per cent of the time,” she says in the account.

The parachute rigger-qualification course trains soldiers in lashing and packaging equipment, including food and hardware, for airdrops. Many of the Indian Army’s forward posts — such as those in Siachen — are “air-maintained”.

Laura Condyles said she was the first foreign officer to qualify with an ‘I” grade — meaning she showed skills good enough for her to be an instructor. “I got it! I’m the first foreign officer that’s ever gotten the “i” grade before, so that was pretty neat!”

“I loved it! I had a great time,” said Condyles. “The cool thing was I’m the first American that went to the course. They had other foreign officers that went to this course before too, one from Sri Lanka, one from Ethiopia, from Nepal, and Pakistan.”

The American officer is wrong when she says a Pakistani was also part of the course. The Indian Army has no personnel exchange programme with Pakistan.

“They drop live animals,” she was quoted. “They put chickens and goats on a platform and drop them in for food”.

Condyles said cows would often enter the air force station in Agra and even the hangars in which the equipment was parachute-rigged. Among the rations dropped during the course were bagged items, tent supplies, bottles, hay, medical provisions, fish, meat on hoof, meat dressed, frozen meat, chicken dressed, chicken alive, fruits and vegetables, and fuel, oil and lubricants.

“At their motor pools they have temples. So, before you get into a military vehicle and drive away, you have to pray to the gods.” Condyles said.
This is a classic example of how the Indian media twists stories to suit their own ends. I read this article on the US army's own news page and there was no bias or overt message just a pretty straightforeward account. These fools in the Indian media read the very same account and try to make a point that wasn't even intended by the original author.

This is lazy, shoddy and nonsense journalism.

This is a classic example of how the Indian media twists stories to suit their own ends. I read this article on the US army's own news page and there was no bias or overt message just a pretty straightforeward account. These fools in the Indian media read the very same account and try to make a point that wasn't even intended by the original author.

This is lazy, shoddy and nonsense journalism.
You will not understand , this is called inference , understand the deep meaning/ hidden meanings.

You will not understand , this is called inference , understand the deep meaning/ hidden meanings.
No, this is called SPINNING. These journos use cheap tactics like this to grab healdines and move newspapers/generate more views.

Why focus on this one aspect of the article when it is barely even mentioned? Why ignore the overwhelming theme of the article?

But the fact can not be denied.
The batman system is antiquated. It is degrading for professional soldiers to do this. It was colonial.

UK has done away with it. I believe even Pakistan has done away with it.
@Oscar @Abu Zolfiqar would you please spread some light on the issue.

We, BA, were the first army in SA to do away with the batman/orderly system. PA followed us. Perhaps the paramilitary and police still have batman system in vogue all over SA.

But the fact can not be denied.
The batman system is antiquated. It is degrading for professional soldiers to do this. It was colonial.

UK has done away with it. I believe even Pakistan has done away with it.
@Oscar @Abu Zolfiqar would you please spread some light on the issue.

I think the batmen are there but are now not paid for by the Army but by the officers themselves. Although they do survive for the higher ups.

1. In good old days batmen were necessary. An officer's personal gear and eqpt were cumbersome and needed constant upkeep. There were no phones or too many vehicles. The soldiers themselves were largely illiterate from rural background.In most cases a batman would be a soldier with no further hopes of promotion, or physically weak. A batman was also a social link of the officer with the unit lines / langar,and vice varsa.

2.Because of his closeness to the officer,a batman would be extra-ordinarily faithful. Indeed a couple of gallantry awards,including VC, was earned by batmen during the Raj.

I think the correct account by that 1LT does not include much about the caste system in IA, afterll, she was just training for para rigging for 52 days, what can she possibly know about that system?

Thing is, batman or orderly system were infact still in used by US military, abeit senior officer, not junior office like a 1LT. Put together the fact that she was indeed a guest of IA, she may well receive some special privilege to go with, like when I was doing part of my jump training in Italian airborne school, they have an attaché that took care of my special needs.

I think the batmen are there but are now not paid for by the Army but by the officers themselves. Although they do survive for the higher ups.

In India; its only the Army that has the practice of an uniformed Batman/Orderly (or Sahayaks as they are called now). In the IN there is no such phenomenon. The only Orderlies there are, are Civilians in the Messes. On a Warship; the only Officer to be lucky to get a Steward (not Orderly) is the CO.
Most times, the Sahayak is a soldier who has become a medical category and whose career is heading for a dead-end but who is ok in other respects. So he becomes a beneficiary in some respects of the system.

As I've explained else-where; this is a reflection of the social and educational patterns of the men who form the rank and file; which is different from service to service.

In India; its only the Army that has the practice of an uniformed Batman/Orderly (or Sahayaks as they are called now). In the IN there is no such phenomenon. The only Orderlies there are, are Civilians in the Messes. On a Warship; the only Officer to be lucky to get a Steward (not Orderly) is the CO.
Most times, the Sahayak is a soldier who has become a medical category and whose career is heading for a dead-end but who is ok in other respects. So he becomes a beneficiary in some respects of the system.

As I've explained else-where; this is a reflection of the social and educational patterns of the men who form the rank and file; which is different from service to service.

But lets face it. Our cultures(and societies) are still fairly exploitative and perhaps more luxurious in some cases when it comes to lifestyles. Human labor is cheap and willing as well; a fact well exploited by the British then in their Army.. and as we do so now. Truth be told, these men may be a burden but are quite essential to maintaining the morale. As an officer, you would not mind having your shoes and uniform pressed for you in the morning without any cost.

But lets face it. Our cultures(and societies) are still fairly exploitative and perhaps more luxurious in some cases when it comes to lifestyles. Human labor is cheap and willing as well; a fact well exploited by the British then in their Army.. and as we do so now. Truth be told, these men may be a burden but are quite essential to maintaining the morale. As an officer, you would not mind having your shoes and uniform pressed for you in the morning without any cost.

This culture of having Batmen was fine when the British ruled, as they could simply hire the local natives for cheap work. However, in our army there should be no place for this. If an officers deems that he needs domestic help, he should pay out of his own pocket.

This culture of having Batmen was fine when the British ruled, as they could simply hire the local natives for cheap work. However, in our army there should be no place for this. If an officers deems that he needs domestic help, he should pay out of his own pocket.

That is what is happening for the lower grade officers.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom