What's new

Ambala to station first squadron of MMRCA fighters

Status
Not open for further replies.
True! Dont ask me why but IAF seems to be positioning all its frontline fighters at forward airbases! Heck even in bases that fall within the arty ranges of the neighbour!

Its because India is still just Pakistan centric.

India had a golden opportunity to walk its talk about being China centric by starting from there. When it came to it, India ki sui still stuck on Pakistan.

True! Dont ask me why but IAF seems to be positioning all its frontline fighters at forward airbases! Heck even in bases that fall within the arty ranges of the neighbour!

Now I'm curious....why ? Despite the ABM system nothing is fool proof & if the Forward Airbases (FOBs) are within the reach of either our artilliary or SRBMs/MRBMs...wouldn't that be a severe threat ?

India had a golden opportunity to walk its talk about being China centric by starting from there. When it came to it, India ki sui still stuck on Pakistan.

India is focussed on protecting itself from enemies.period. If you read the news..you will know that two squads for Pakistan and two squads on the EAST...which means both fronts are equally important. and did you really expect that India will not field any squadron on the western border just because we said we are China centric ?? lol.

sonic boom? Yes listened that over there when I was 19 yrs old... All people thought that was a bomb blast... News came next day that was a somic boom by fighter.. Ambala base is big one

i guess i saw that news on TV

Asim, dont be biased enough to not see reality. We are getting almost 6 squadrons of Rafale. 2 for Pak, 2 for China, 2 unknown. That makes it clear enough that today China is equally if not more important than Pakistan when compared to old days when everything was Pakistan centric.

Now I'm curious....why ? Despite the ABM system nothing is fool proof & if the Forward Airbases (FOBs) are within the reach of either our artilliary or SRBMs/MRBMs...wouldn't that be a severe threat ?

Not just Pakistani border. They are positioning Su-30 at forward bases in NE India which fall under Chinese SRBM ranges. And China uses SRBM just like we use tube arty!

It is a threat. But IAF is doing it consistently - placing our premium assets- right across both Chinese and Pakistani borders. So there does appear some method to the madness- what? I donot know yet.

Stationing anything close to border proves a double edge sword, whatever benefit it may offer to the home security, with all the airborne and ground based gadgetry available, the other side can detect, monitor and counter every move of your assets.

Not just Pakistani border. They are positioning Su-30 at forward bases in NE India which fall under Chinese SRBM ranges. And China uses SRBM just like we use tube arty!

It is a threat. But IAF is doing it consistently - placing our premium assets- right across both Chinese and Pakistani borders. So there does appear some method to the madness- what? I donot know yet.

Perhaps the advantages of a better reaction time offsets the probable risk ? :undecided:

Ambala is definitely not within artillery reach. MRBM, yes - but would Pakistan expend one for an air force station? And even if they did, it's not just ABM systems that protect the base, but also things like hardened bunkers and shelters for the expensive assets. Nothing is fool proof of course, but there are more valuable targets than an air force base for Pakistan to target. Ambala bases the Indian army's elite II corps (strike), which would be the sword arm of an attack into pak. Maybe this base is needed to prevent aerial attacks on the II strike corps by the PAF, and maybe this base will also play a large role in the strike doctrine.

Thats true but this is known to ever kid on the block that stationing assets close to border can be equally harmful...dont you think there is something strange when IAF still does this consistently ??

The IAF plans to station the first squadron of the Rafale at Ambala,”a top IAF official said.

Unnamed top official :rolleyes:

Ambala is presently home to the British-built Jaguars and MiG-21s.

What kind of Mig 21s? 3sq MiG-21Bisons, so it's a normal replacement of older fighters.

to accommodate the new war birds that are expected to join the IAF’s inventory in 2017.

First Rafales are expected by 2015/16, licence production is to start a year later.

The plans is to base two squadrons of the MMRCAs in Western Air Command (WAC) bordering Pakistan and two squadron in the Eastern Air Command (EAC) bordering China,” the official added.

a28n7yv8.jpg

Only because it is named Western Command, it doesn't nean it is located in the west only, in fact it covers the north eastern borders to China as well!
Earlier and more reliable reports said, the first 3 Rafale squads will be delivered to Ambala, Jodhpur and Hashimara. One each for South western, Western and Eastern Command, while they will replace Bisons at Ambala and Jodhpur. So just a planned replacement and balanced to all important border areas.

Don't fool yourself by sensational journalism guys!!!

Thats true but this is known to ever kid on the block that stationing assets close to border can be equally harmful...dont you think there is something strange when IAF still does this consistently ??

Does it do so consistently? Which other major airbases can you think of very close to the border? And I mean airbases, not air force stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom