What's new

Amaravati: Stage set for foundation ceremony of AP's Singapore-like capital; PM Modi to inaugurate

To build a city

The process of land acquisition employed by Andhra Pradesh for its new capital holds lessons for all

After laying the foundation stone for Amaravati — the new capital of Andhra Pradesh — Prime Minister Narendra Modi anointed it as the “people’s capital.” And although he did not say why he chose that particular description, he did emphasise that the people of Andhra Pradesh are in the best position to make Amaravati a shining example, showing how a modern smart city can be an engine of growth without neglecting ecological sustainability.

There is another reason why Amaravati is already a “people’s capital”. It has to do with how the N. Chandrababu Naidu government convinced thousands of local villagers to part with their predominantly agricultural land to make way for a whole new city.

The contrast with Modi’s repeated failed attempts at passing a new land acquisition law could not be sharper. Naidu’s effort should be welcomed as it offers an alternative to the coercive model that the Centre’s land acquisition ordinance was seeking to push. Instead of opting to remove consent requirements, Naidu has shown a way by which land can be acquired, making farmers partners in development, which usually benefits everyone else.

In this regard, it is worth understanding the merits of the unique “pooling” model for land acquisition that Naidu has adopted. Instead of a one-off deal, he has opted to give back to the farmers about 30 per cent of the developed land. It is obviously hoped that the price of the developed land would compensate for the loss of ownership. So for every acre or 4,840 square yards that a farmer gives, he will get a developed residential plot of 1,250 square yards and a commercial plot of another 200 square yards. But the offer does not end there.

Farmers will also receive Rs 50,000 per acre per year for 10 years for parting with their land. This, more or less, covers the annual income from cultivation, which they have foregone. This has proved to be not only a good deal but also a fair one for the farmer. After all, the value of his land is simply not equal to the value of the paddy or groundnut that it will produce in 10 years. The real value is arrived at when there is a change of land use from agricultural to industrial or commercial, and under Naidu’s model, the farmer is entitled to some of the gain.

Time and again, the PM has underscored the centrality of easing the process of land acquisition for India’s economic growth. It is time to reorient the approach towards farmers and landowners and make the process more participative.

Chennai, 23 October 2015: Yesterday (22 Oct 2015), Prime Minister laid the Foundation for Amaravati, the capital of Andhra Pradesh. Soon after our independence, new capitals were built at Chandigarh and Bhubaneshwar. The French Architect Le Corbusier introduced a nature and people friendly architectural design for Chandigarh. After several decades, there is an opportunity for designing a new capital for the state of Andhra Pradesh. Media reports suggest that the Singapore model may be the preferred architectural approach. Amaravati is in the midst of one of the world’s best farming regions. I do hope the following principles will be used by the dynamic Chief Minister while giving shape to Amaravati’s personality :

• Rain water harvesting and the use of solar energy for meeting energy needs constitute the basic foundations in the design of new buildings
  • Urban horticulture and rooftop gardening become a way of life so that urban food and nutrition security can be strengthened
  • Amaravati should earmark one section of the city for being developed as a Science City and Technology Park. The Science City should provide a glimpse of the future in terms of technologies of value to human wellbeing like health and medicine, skilled employment, food and nutrition and high value agriculture. It should build a new confidence in our future among youth.
I hope that through such steps, we can build an Indian model of State capital which places emphasis on harvesting sun and rain, skilled employment, and harmony with nature and with each other.

Amaravati – Capital of Andhra Pradesh: Prof M S Swaminathan

First of all , Congratulations to all andhraites,

Second, it seems like a very good business prospectus. It will be a big city so with quality constructions. They must using lot of Marble and its artifacts ?
Thanks,:) . The construction is yet to begin, so I can't comment on what will be used. But it will soon begin

ChandraBabu Naidu is a legend .He will finish this project within deadline .
Wish you a good luck to all Telugu people and Andhra Pradesh.

Well our nation has a good level of incompetent bureaucracy.And Centre has always showed a tight purse to demands of states .Our Vizhinjam project is another one .Nothing from centre ,entire expense is on the head of state govt.
But I think they will take a fair share of expense ,after all this is about India .
Thanks for you wishes & words :)

Well TBH, we had been promised a lot by both parties when AP was bifurcated cause in every aspect AP was going to be the loser & the one which would suffer, Venkaiah Naidu, Arun Jaitley & Modi too promised a lot which is why expectations are high from them.

But the main promise they made was they would bring AP to the level of other states & help it be a revenue making state by 2019. A promise on which they have done nothing.
Thats good idea will post here if any updates..BTW Tammudu nuvu AP lo ekada..
ALso remember to tag other members here when & where required(experts on urban planning & infra., help from foreign nations etc).

Nenu Hyderabad lo untunna, kani naa grand parents(Nane vepu, amma vepu) anadru AP ninchi unnaro. So I see myself as Andhraite & Telanganite due to my origins ,upbringing & surroundings :)

But, Don't tell KCR :P

I am a Telugu from Karnatakas kolar dist bordering rayalaseema (chittoor dist)and my family has marital relations with rayalaseema . about telugu its my mother tongue, and there are none who dosent know Telugu here , your idea is good make it a sticky thread so that we could keep track on the developments on amaravathi

Nice to know you haven't forgotten Telugu there despite being a minority :tup: .

By the way Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvarayya too was a Telugu from Kolar right?

Thanks,:) . The construction is yet to begin, so I can't comment on what will be used. But it will soon begin

Thanks for you wishes & words :)

Well TBH, we had been promised a lot by both parties when AP was bifurcated cause in every aspect AP was going to be the loser & the one which would suffer, Venkaiah Naidu, Arun Jaitley & Modi too promised a lot which is why expectations are high from them.

But the main promise they made was they would bring AP to the level of other states & help it be a revenue making state by 2019. A promise on which they have done nothing.

ALso remember to tag other members here when & where required(experts on urban planning & infra., help from foreign nations etc).

Nenu Hyderabad lo untunna, kani naa grand parents(Nane vepu, amma vepu) anadru AP ninchi unnaro. So I see myself as Andhraite & Telanganite due to my origins ,upbringing & surroundings :)

But, Don't tell KCR :P

Nice to know you haven't forgotten Telugu there despite being a minority :tup: .

By the way Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvarayya too was a Telugu from Kolar right?
Yes he is bharath rathna, we don't feel as minorities here we live as brothers infact we Karnataka teluguites are more kannadigas then andhrites, but we have not forgotten our ancesters who came from rayalaseema 800 years ago to mysore state as it was the last standing protectorate of vijayanagar kingdom, as we live in the border we come to know what ever happens in andhra, and also it effects us.

Back
Top Bottom