Alternatives to Kirpi to be sought: Ministry

Baykuş

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Alternatives to Kirpi to be sought: Ministry
Umut Erdem
ANKARA/Hürriyet

The Turkish Minister of National Defense has said if BMC, the maker of Kirpi armored vehicles, could not deliver the rest of the orders, they would develop an alternative solution with the Turkish Armored Forces (TSK).

“BMC could not deliver 175 of 468 Kirpis, mine-resistant vehicles, due to its economic problems. The procurement possibilities of the remaining Kirpis are being examined. Otherwise, an alternative model will be determined in coordination with the TSK,” Defense Minister İsmet Yılmaz said. Yılmaz provided the information in response to a parliamentary question about non-delivered Kirpi vehicles, submitted by Özcan Yeniçeri, a deputy of the Nationalist Movement Party (MHP). After the company failed to deliver the vehicles and its economic situation did not improve, the deal was partially canceled by the end of deadline, he said. The Turkish Saving Deposit Insurance Fund (TMSF) seized the BMC on May 17, along with the other 11 companies of Çukurova Group.

However, Yılmaz stated that they had collected 3.5 million euros in fines due to delays in the Kirpi deal so far, adding that the total fine reached 8 million euros by May 15.

BMC has been in a tight squeeze since last May.

July/05/2013

--- End of Article ---
Source: BUSINESS - Alternatives to Kirpi to be sought: Ministry

I think the kirpi deal will be carried on as funds will be found elsewhere for the company.

I think the kirpi deal will be carried on as funds will be found elsewhere for the company.

I hope so. It would be a shame if we had to find a replacement for the already combat proven Kirpi :undecided:

They should have at least kept the production line for the remaining 175 Kirpis open.
The Turkish armed forces should have provided funds for that.

Back
Top Bottom