What's new

Altaf hands over party affairs to Rabita Committee/MQM Distance itself from Altaf Bhai

Altaf is right. This new MQM will not last, we will support Altaf, not these traitors.

Enjoy for now, we will retake this city soon

I hope we bring this up in the UN.

At least, I hope Modi brings this up

They are not out leaders. Our only leader is Altaf. WE don't believe in these Fauji funded traitors to Muhajirs

Agent of the Punjabi establishment. Obviously was threatened. We will stand with Altaf, not these traitors.

Can mods check this guy out?

@waz @mods

Its racist to ask for democratically elected of mayor Karachi to be handed back his duties? great logic, we are not questioning KPK for electing PTI aka Taliban supporters or Punjab's elections of Panama League over and over again. All talks of democracy disappears when it comes to Karachi it seems. Don't be a hypocrite, injustices lead to more conflict.

Your democratically elected mayor or democratically party is responsible for baldia Fire , bhata khors, Amjad sabri murder, killing for qurbani ki khalain, target killing and terrorism

Your democratically elected mayor or democratically party is responsible for baldia Fire , bhata khors, Amjad sabri murder, killing for qurbani ki khalain, target killing and terrorism

Amjad Sabri was killed by Sunni extremists everyone know that apart from a certain section of our society which support extremism and don't like sufi singers.

Amjad Sabri was killed by Sunni extremists everyone know that apart from a certain section of our society which support extremism and don't like sufi singers.

image.jpeg

Some people are butthurt why people of Karachi vote for MQM, just admit it you are one of them.
i got nothing against real political workers, but i am happy that thugs & goons of MQM are taken to the task.... I am happy that MQM finally realised that they are better off without the Toad... i Wish MQM the one without Altaf Good Luck...

MQM should operate from Pakistan alone: Farooq Sattar
DAWN.COM — UPDATED 5 MINUTES AGO

57bc3936b6f60.jpg

MQM leader Dr Farooq Sattar address press conference at Karachi Press Club. ─ DawnNews
KARACHI: Senior Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) leader Farooq Sattar for the first time has said that his party should operate from Pakistan alone, an apparent reference to the leadership of MQM under Altaf Hussain who controls the party from London.

While speaking at Karachi Press Club on Tuesday, Sattar accepted that “there is a problem” and that Hussain’s frequent apologies after incendiary statements is an issue that needs to be resolved. The press conference was held a day after protesters, alleged to be MQM workers, attacked the office of ARY News.

“The MQM should operate from Pakistan alone,” Sattar said.

Referring to Hussain’s apology statement issued earlier today, Sattar said: "If such statements are a result of mental stress, then that mental stress needs to be resolved first. It would be better for MQM to operate from Pakistan until Altaf Hussain's health issues are not resolved, as such statements push MQM into confinement.

“Altaf Hussain and the entire party are being ridiculed due to these statements."

"Whatever the reason given for these statements, it keeps happening and it is important to address this issue as well," he admitted.

"We own that there is a problem, and Altaf Hussain keeps asking for forgiveness. Until this issue is addressed, we've decided that sanity should prevail," Sattar said.

57bc42bd51af0.jpg

Amir Liaquat addresses press conference. ─ DawnNews

When questioned about whether the MQM supremo would continue to use the party platform for speeches, Sattar said: "We cannot provide any more clarity on this. It is the MQM's policy from day one to condemn violence and torture."

Also read: What did Altaf say in his diatribe?

Dr Amir Liaquat who was also taken into Rangers custody Monday spoke to journalists saying, "We cannot take the weight of statements that pose a question regarding the sacrifices we have made for Pakistan."

Sattar condems attack on media
Sattar also denounced anti-Pakistan slogans chanted during an attack on ARY News' Karachi office a day earlier.

"Every MQM worker, leader, voter and well-wisher denounces these anti-Pakistan slogans," Sattar said. "We will not allow this to happen again."

"We totally disassociate ourselves from the violence that took place in Karachi yesterday. It is totally against our policy to use violence to achieve our ends."

"There is no room for any militants or any militants' wing."

"We were not expecting that the situation [attack on ARY News] would unfold in such a manner. Certain things were said that shouldn't have been said," Sattar said. "Anti-Pakistan slogans should not have been chanted."

"I would like to categorically state that MQM is Pakistan. The MQM is registered in Pakistan and recognises the laws and Constitution of Pakistan."

"We were with our friends, the Rangers, for eight hours... It should be clear that we are not speaking under the influence of anyone else... Everything I say is in line with MQM's policy."

"Our offices should be allowed to reopen," Sattar said.

The press conference is being held at KPC instead of MQM headquarters Nine Zero, which were sealed by the Rangers Monday night.

Speaking to local TV channels before the press conference, Sattar said, "We will take the MQM's mission forward and continue to empower citizens... I will hold the press conference I was unable to hold yesterday today."

MQM leaders Khalid Maqbool Siddiqui, Shaikh Salahuddin, Nighat Shakeel, Waqar Hussain, Muhammad Hussain, Asif Hussain, Saman Jafri and Dr Fouzia were also present at KPC.

According to local media reports, Sattar stopped off at a local hotel prior to the press conference to meet MQM lawmakers including Arshad Vohra and Nasreen Jalil.

Attack on ARY offfice
Sattar and Leader of the Opposition in the Sindh Assembly Khawaja Izhar-ul-Hasan were released from Rangers custody after overnight detention following violent protests in the metropolis.

Farooq Sattar and Khawaja Izhar were taken into custody by the Rangers on Monday night at Karachi Press Club after suspected MQM workers attacked an ARY News office in the Saddar area of the metropolis. One person was killed and several others injured as police clashed with the angry mob.

Sattar initially attempted to resist being taken into custody but was eventually convinced to follow orders. Khawaja Izhar also accompanied him to the Rangers headquarters. DawnNews reported that Rangers officials informed the MQM leaders that DG Rangers Major General Bilal Akbar wanted to see them.

MQM leader Dr Amir Liaquat was also taken into custody from his office on I.I. Chundrigar Road and later released by the Rangers after overnight detention, according to local media reports.

"Altaf should have retracted his statement," Amir Liaquat said speaking to a local TV channel. "I was awake all night. The Rangers kept me really well and I met the DG Rangers," he said. "I am under a lot of pressure."

The Rangers also raided MQM headquarters Nine Zero Monday night, taking nine other party leaders into custody and sealing MQM offices. The paramilitary force also recovered weapons from Nine Zero, which will be sent for forensic tests.

The MQM workers were sent on three-day remand in police custody on Tuesday, DawnNews reported.

Sections of the media alleged that MQM workers had carried out the attack after receiving directives in a speech by MQM Chief Altaf Hussain. The MQM supremo today apologised to the military for his earlier ‘anti-Pakistan’ remarks.

Who is Farooq Sattar
Dr Farooq Sattar, born in 1959, is the deputy convenor of the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and has also been its parliamentary leader. The party is registered with the Election Commission of Pakistanunder Sattar's name.

His association with MQM goes a long way back — APMSO (All Pakistan Muhajir Students Organisation) was formed in 1978, and Sattar became its member as early as 1979. The APMSO was the student body which served as the precursor to MQM.

After graduating from Sindh Medical College in 1986, he remained actively involved with MQM and has not looked back since.

At the age of 28 in 1987, he was elected the mayor of Karachi — reportedly becoming the youngest mayor in the world.

Also since 1988, Sattar has consistently been part of either the National Assembly, Sindh Assembly. He won a seat in the NA in the 1988, 1990 and 1997 election from Karachi and won in 2008 from NA-249 (Karachi – XI).

In 1993, MQM boycotted the National Assembly polls with Sattar returning from a provincial assembly seat instead. After securing the seat, he was appointed leader of the opposition in the Sindh Assembly.

In 1997, Sattar gave up his National Assembly for a provincial seat — he was then appointed minister for local government.

In 2002, Sattar won a by-election on the NA-255 seat, which had been previously won by a candidate of Muttahida’s arch-nemesis Mohajir Qaumi Movement (MQM-Haqiqi).

And while Sattar won the 2008 election from NA-249, allegations of foul play were made by Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP).

Sattar was also arrested on two occasions: In 1994, during Benazir Bhutto’s tenure as prime minister, when massive crackdowns took place against MQM (he was released in 1997) and then again in 1999, when he surrendered to the authorities over corruption charges levelled against him soon after Pervez Musharraf established military rule. He was released in 2001.

The MQM heavyweight has not only served as mayor, MNA, provincial minister, he has also been the chairman of the National Assembly’s foreign affairs committee and held the post of federal minister for overseas Pakistanis from 2008-2013. He also maintained the position of MQM Deputy Convener of the party’s central coordination committee.

That was just waste of time news conference by Farooq Sattar. He only defend The Killer Altaf Hussain & Terrorist MQM in his whole speach.

i got nothing against real political workers, but i am happy that thugs & goons of MQM are taken to the task.... I am happy that MQM finally realised that they are better off without the Toad... i Wish MQM the one without Altaf Good Luck...

Same here, glad we are on the same page on this.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom