What's new

‘All set for circumnavigation on board INSV Tarini’(Inspiring tale of Lt. Swathi Patharlapaali)

ayesha.a

Reaction score
Country
India
2vlru50.png

The adage 'Truth is stranger than fiction' fits well into the life story of young navy officer Lieutenant Swathi Patharlapaali.

Vizag's own daughter rose struggling from an extremely humble background and today she lives in one of those very same houses, where she used to assist her mother working as domestic help. She is part of the six-member all-women team, who will sail circumnavigating the globe on newly-commissioned Indian Navy's sailing vessel INSV Tarini this August. Already, she has been on several sailing expeditions on board INSV Mhadei. This naval officer tells Sulogna Mehta of TOI about her challenging childhood, life in the navy and her training for circumnavigation on a sail boat.

Tell us about your childhood and education

My mother Rani used to work as a maid in the Naval Park while father Adinarayana, is a defence civilian, working as head cook in the industrial canteen in the naval dockyard. I have two elder sisters Lavanya and Suvarna, who are qualified professionals and settled now. My mother used to work hard to give us a better future. She would keep working till pain took over and go to the hospital in a scooty herself. But she took a very tough yet far-sighted decision. Though most of the things were free at the Naval Park, she decided to bring us up in a different environment so that we don't choose her profession when we grow up. Therefore, amidst financial difficulties, my parents took a rented house in Malkapuram. While people hinted at marriage of three daughters, my mother made us educated and independent. I went to Balwadi centre, then to a school under Hindustan Shipyard and Sri Aditya College and tried to keep my academic score high. Today, most of my classmates are working as housemaids and their children going to the same Balwadi School, where I was invited to address an inspiration speech to the children. I am thankful for my parents' foresight in shifting from the Naval Park. Otherwise, my story would have been no different from theirs.

What made you join the Indian Navy?

Till my graduation, I couldn't speak English. But my father always urged me to join the Navy for which I kept scores around 85%. I cleared the Service Selection Board (SSB) in the first attempt and got a lot of cooperation and encouragement during my interview. Though I didn't know English properly, I was told, "Be yourself. Don't worry. We are not here to test your English." At 20 and half years of age, I was the youngest to join the Navy. I spent six years with the Navy till now including over two years with the ATC (Air Traffic Control). But still my craze and love for the Navy is the same.

How did you join sailing? Tell us about your training for the upcoming circumnavigation.

My mother was associated with the Navy's yacht club when she was three-months pregnant. She always told me to take it seriously as not everyone can afford this expensive sport. I was into sailing right from my NCC days when I was just 12 years old. For the upcoming circumnavigation, we have been practising for the last one year. No fixed time as practise and competitions are on almost always. We are being trained under retired commander Dilip Donde, who was the first Indian to go for a solo circumnavigation on INSV Mhadei in 2009-10. He trains us in a very practical manner. Instead of telling us, he makes us do the needful ourselves so that we know what to do in times of real crisis in the sea.

How did you come upon the idea of circumnavigation? How supportive did you find your people?

It was decision taken by the Indian Navy in 2014 and I had this vision since then. Not only the Navy and my parents, but my husband and in-laws have given full support. I had a court marriage last year to a marine commando from Bihar. He happened to read my life story in a naval publication and contacted me. We clicked and got married. He is so supportive that he convinced his parents about my dream expedition of circumnavigating the globe.

Any memorable expedition that you would like to talk about?

In January 2017, we went for the prestigious Cape to Rio race. Besides Payal Gupta and me, there were four male officers. Twenty countries had participated in the race and we emerged as the fastest Indian team to cross the Atlantic in just 20 days, which is a remarkable feat that too on a light 25-tonne little boat Mhadei. Earlier, Commander Donde had crossed the Atlantic in 31 days.

What sea route are you taking and how long will it take?

As of now, it has been decided that we, six women officers, will set sail from Goa on August 15 and the expedition would last 11 months. The route would be from Goa to Fremantle in Australia, Littleton in New Zealand, Falkland in South America, Cape Town in South Africa and back to Goa in India. We will take East to West bound route and go along with the ocean currents with stop-overs at the above-mentioned places for stocking provisions and checking the equipment or breakage.

Who will be the other officers with you on INSV Tarini?

The five other officers would be from different parts of India. They include Lt Commander Vartika Joshi, Lt Commander Pratibha Jamwal, Lt Aishwarya Boddapati, Lt Payal Gupta and Lt Vijaya Devi.

What's the difference between INSV Mhadei and INSV Tarini?

Both indigenously (Goa) built crafts INSV Mhadei and INSV Tarini are more or less the same. It's just that Tarini is a little advanced and updated with navigation and electrical equipment. I have a lot of affection for Mhadei since I learned everything on that craft. It was on INSV Mhadei that two Indians Commander Dilip Donde and Commander Abhilash Tomy circumnavigated the globe solo. But I'm looking forward to making history on INSV Tarini and would shortly commence sea trials towards Maldives to check its withstanding capacity of the rain and winds.

What's your message to youngsters who are yet undecided about career?

I would ask them to join the Indian Navy, as the Navy gives a host of opportunities to prove oneself and takes care of our needs.

Back
Top Bottom