What's new

All about PSLV

pslv_8big.jpg

One day Soheil is going to captain a spaceship whose ongoing mission is to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life forms and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.

I think boosters are powered by liquid engine while first stage is solid fuel combustion. Correct me if I'm wrong.

One more doubt: Will boosters and first stage starts to burn simultaneously? as we can see during launches?

I think boosters are powered by liquid engine while first stage is solid fuel combustion. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That is the case with GSLV .

In case of PSLV both the boosters and first stage is solid fuelled .

One more doubt: Will boosters and first stage starts to burn simultaneously? as we can see during launches?

The strap-on booster ignition of PSLV is a complex procedure.

PSLV usually has 6 strap-on boosters . 4 of them are ignited on ground along with first stage while 2 of them are ignited on air mid-way .

Look at the bottom 6 points of the mission profile . Will give you an idea .

flight-profile.jpg

Last edited:
PSLV has 6 strap-on boosters . 4 of them are ignited on ground along with first stage while 2 of them are ignited on air mid-way .

One more
Its been mentioned one vikas engine will power strap-ons. How one engine will power different starp-ons since the exhaust for each starp-ons are at different places?

One more
Its been mentioned one vikas engine will power strap-ons. How one engine will power different starp-ons since the exhaust for each starp-ons are at different places?

PSLV has solid fuelled boosters .

Vikas Engine powered strap-on boosters are on GSLV .

GSLV has 4 strap-on boosters . Each booster is powered by a Vikas Engine .

Each booster produces 680KN thrust resulting a total thrust of 2720KN by all boosters .

Now I'm clear
and for GSLV mk3 S200 and new Vikas will burn together? whats their time interval?

Now I'm clear
and for GSLV mk3 S200 and new Vikas will burn together? whats their time interval?

Nope . In MK3 only the two S200s ignite as the first stage .

L110 powered by two Vikas engines will be ignited as second stage .

t = 000.00 s , S200 ignition
t = 113.00 s , L110 ignition
t = 140.90 s , S200 seperation

7c6d70108191.jpg

Nope . In MK3 only the two S200s ignite as the first stage .

L110 powered by two Vikas engines will be ignited as second stage .

t = 000.00 s , S200 ignition
t = 113.00 s , L110 ignition
t = 140.90 s , S200 seperation

7c6d70108191.jpg
So S200 and L110 burns simultaneously from 113 - 140.90S?
and is our CE20 engine ready?

So S200 and L110 burns simultaneously from 113 - 140.90S?

According to the figure , it looks so .

and is our CE20 engine ready?

It is still in development . Many of the sub-components have already been manufactured .

According to the latest 2012-13 annual report of ISRO ,

In the cryogenic area, Cryogenic Upper Stage (CUS) and Cryogenic Engine CE20 are being realised through leading private industries. The major hardware realisation includes CUS steering engine and main engine, booster pump, turbo pump and thrust chamber for CE20 engines. Efforts have been initiated to establish new work centres for meeting the requirements of Cryo, Semi Cryo and GSLV Mk III production. A second work centre at a public sector industry has been established for CE20 thrust chamber fabrication and another industry has been identified for setting up of an integrated cryo engine manufacturing facility to cater to production of CUS, CE20 and semi-cryo engines. Industry has also augmented its facilities to increase GSLV Mk III tankage production. Integrated production of Injection valves and Gear Box Assembly Actuators (IPIG) and production island for realisation of cryogenic engine and stage components, modules and umbilical systems are planned in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom