Guy-Le-Querrec.jpg

Guy-Le-Querrec2.jpg

Guy-Le-Querrec3.jpg

Guy-Le-Querrec10.jpg

Abbas10.jpg

Abbas9.jpg

Abbas12.jpg

Abbas6.jpg

Creation of the patriotes to defend their villages.
Abbas7.jpg

Algerians have been thrown from this bridge by the French police...

1779914_816245128438034_5067007439518234580_n.jpg

The hero who told the French General who belittle him for using bombs in bags..."Gives us your planes and we will gladly gave you our bags."
1794817_813071275422086_7997463957009284353_n.jpg

132 years of blood, death and tears ...the fight continue....

10639552_811816402214240_6544594077066388296_n.jpg

10488086_811816362214244_1336586424392032272_n.jpg

Algerian women always enjoyed a high degree of freedom, until the 90's. The rise of the FIS (known by the sobriquet Fatma Interdit de Sortir, [Fatma forbidden to go out])and armed fundamentalism after, tried to alter the gain that these women have made throughout our history, without a real success. It has certainly changed the society equality between the the two sexes, but it has never succeeded in putting a halt to women entrance in the job market or kept them from running important sector of the Algerian economy. There is a big push by the women to re-appropriate their local cultures and push back what was imported by the fundamentalists in the 90's. Bouteflika, without being able to change the statu quo in their favor , encouraged them to modify the society hangups by occupying the field of competency, and they are showing it in every sector of the economy, the education, and in different branches of the armed forces.
Zarvan, my sincere thanks for your contribution.
What I love is these women are maintaing Hijab and doing jobs too taking Islam with them and doing all the jobs that is good thing and I would post more

LIFESTYLE
Algerian women march in white to defend tradition

1414583931312.jpg

Algerian people wearing their traditional Islamic outfits take part in a rally marking the start of spring on March 21, 2013 in Algiers. (AFP)

AFP, Algiers
Friday, 22 March 2013
Covered from head to toe in white, their faces partly masked by embroidered triangular cloths, Algerian women marched through the capital Thursday to defend their traditional Islamic dress.

"We want to sweep away these clothes which come from Saudi Arabia, black, sad and stifling under the sun, to return to our traditional 'haik' which is the pride of Algerian women," said one, posing in front of the landmark central post office in Algiers.

The procession, part of a workshop organised by art student Souad, gathered around 30 participants at the foot of the Casbah, not far from the post office, where they all cheerfully removed their veils.

"I want to give the haik its real value and this is my second attempt to do so," said Souad, a painter who normally does not wear the veil but who remains determined to defend her country's traditions.

"Long live Algerian Algeria, this is a part of our culture," said a veiled passer-by, her head covered in a burgundy scarf, adding: "The black thing, that is totally alien."

Rim, whose face was covered by a triangular silk "aadjar" that her grandmother embroidered agreed.

"It is unfortunate that we've had the hijab imposed on us since the 1990s, it is not a part of our tradition," said the young woman in her 20s.

"Sure, the haik has Turkish origins, but it was with us for centuries," she added, referring to the more than 300 years prior to French colonial rule when much of Algeria was a part of the Ottoman empire.

Today in Algiers, it is rare to see the traditional garment worn, except occasionally by old women.

Often the triangular cloth is a carefully crafted jem of lace work, while the traditional robe ranges in colour from pure white to cream, with silk versions worn by the more affluent Algerians.

Amal, in her 30s and wrapped in a black scarf, watched from a distance as the procession of white women marched through central Algiers applauded by onlookers.

"Well fine if the haik comes back into fashion," she said with a smile, "but it's only the old women who wear them now."

Young Algerian women went mostly uncovered before the 1990s, but started wearing the veil under pressure from Islamists during the "black decade," when an Islamist insurgency and its repression brought the country to its knees.

Since then, the veil has become fashionable in some circles, coming in all different colours, and folded in many different ways to cover the neck and hair.

Many young women are not shy about using bright makeup, even though they are expected to hide their hair and not attract male attention.

By contrast, the niqab or black full-face veil has also made an appearance in Algeria since the 1990s, as in many other Arab countries, with the women beneath them even wearing gloves to cover their hands, only their eyes visible.

"The hijab and the niqab are not a part of our tradition," said Souad.

"But the haik can enhance today's women, with its lightness and elegance."

Fifty years after Algeria's hard-fought independence from France, Abdelkader Achour, president of an association devoted to protecting local traditions, says the white dress played a crucial role in the nationalist struggle.

"Algerian women carried bombs and machineguns under the haik [during the 1954-1962 war of independence]. She crossed the street carrying from one place to another these weapons that were used against the French," he said.

And while the occupation soldiers searched Algerian men, they didn't touch the women.

Last Update: Friday, 22 March 2013 KSA 08:38 - GMT 05:38

What I love is these women are maintaing Hijab and doing jobs too taking Islam with them and doing all the jobs that is good thing and I would post more

For Algerian women, the port of the hidjab is a taken as a giant step back on what they have been throughout the Algerian history. That doesn't mean that they are less Muslimates...Religion is an affair of the heart.I personally like , the HAIK, the Algerian hijab, among the many that are of Algerian origin. Each Algerian region has its own.
19c3b3d143a59d34d01efa5fb27f9d76.jpg

Back
Top Bottom