Al Qaeda Blames Russia for Slower Progress in Syria

TaiShang

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
Al Qaeda Blames Russia for Slower Progress in Syria

Terrorists believe Russian involvement is a major setback for them

Talk of increased Russian military involvement in Syria has the various rebel factions simultaneously conceding that it’s a setback to their civil war, and one that’s liable to extend the conflict many additional years, while threatening huge Russia casualties and “another Afghanistan” for the troops being deployed.

The rebels are trying to shoehorn the model of the 1979-1989 Soviet occupation of Afghanistan on the war, pushing the idea of forming a new mujahideen to combat the Russians. The differences are stark, however, as this war has been ongoing for years before there was a hint of increased Russian involvement, and ISIS is the major power in Syria at this point, at least from a territorial perspective.

Indeed, the increased involvement is at this point largely speculative, with Russia denying that anything they’re doing is really “new” but rather just a fulfillment of existing military deals with Syria. The “escalation” has been heavily hyped by US officials, who have lashed Russia even though they’re nominally both opposed to ISIS.

The Islamist faction, led by al-Qaeda, which has been trying to push into Latakia is blaming Russia for the increased resistance they are encountering, saying it shows that Russia is “taking the lead,” though most of the battles there haven’t been against the Syrian military in the first place, but rather against local Alawites, supportive of the government, who rightly believe they’ll be wiped out if al-Qaeda seizes their coastal homeland.

Russia’s primary interest in Syria has always been their naval base in Tartus, which could be imperiled if the Syrian government is completely wiped out, yet the claims by secular FSA rebels that the Russian government is opposed to a “political solution” is a flat out lie, as Russia has been trying to get the FSA and the other rebels to talk political settlement for years, with those rebels ruling out anything short of complete regime change.

Some of those meetings occurred as recently as last month, and an attempt by Russia to organize “unity government” talks collapsed quite recently on the refusal of the FSA and other rebels to even take part. Though the US at time gave lip service to the “unity” idea, they have similarly insisted recently that any “deal” needs to amount to full regime change, ousting Assad and his inner circle in favor of pro-US figures.

That’s where the big problem lies, as Russia believes, and probably rightly so, that installing a pro-US regime will cost them their naval base, the only Russian base in the Mediterranean.

Russia has it all under control and the US and its regional terrorist-loving regimes' hysteria won't change the facts on the ground.

How many of US-trained (in Turkey) moderate terrorists left? 5 or 6, according to the White House.

The UN meeting is coming up at the end of this month and Mr. Putin will be speaking there. Then we will see what sort of great power arrangement is to be reached among Russia and the US+EU.

In these cases, sadly, barking is left to regional minions who think themselves as having "strategic depth" but in fact are merely expendable.

In the meantime, the world is noticing how Turkey is also trying to creating a migrant crisis by channeling Syrian, Libyan, Iraqi immigrants into Europe, thereby, hoping to put together the long-dreamed anti-Syria coalition. @Götterdämmerung
Germany has to take a brunt of this.

At the end of the day, terrorist groups like IS, Al Nusra, FSA, Ahrar al-Sham and their state-sponsors like Turkey, Qatar and Saudi Arabia will deeply regret for their sectarian policies.

Great powers always come out unscathed no matter how many mistakes they make.

WTF, I thought Al Qaeda was supposed to be completely by the United States by now! Why are they still existing?! What the hell has our military with our 10 aircraft carriers being doing all this time? *facepalm*

Why Russia Won't Let Syria Fall
  • The kind of extremism ISIS represents is a threat to Russia
  • Moscow can not stand idly by as yet more Middle East Christians are forced to flee
  • Damascus has been a partner to Moscow for decades

Russian President Vladimir Putin is running increased risks of clashes with the United States, Saudi Arabia, other major Muslim nations and Israel by intervening in Syria.

Although the move is being painted in the US media as reckless, meaningless and dangerous, Putin is making a rational calculation. And once again he has caught Obama administration policymakers and Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu by surprise.

First, Putin is moving decisively to rescue the last Russian foothold in the Middle East and on the Mediterranean.

Russia is a country deeply concerned with maintaining the status quo and preserving its increasingly challenged position in the world. That is a far cry from the revolutionary communist ideology of the Khrushchev and Brezhnev eras that fantasised with perfect faith about toppling every Sunni Arab monarchy and emirate from the Atlantic to the Indian oceans.

Putin has every reason to be concerned about stopping the Islamic State (ISIS) in its tracks. Russians fear a triumphant ISIS in Syria and Iraq would re-radicalise Chechens and other Muslim nationalities in Russia and set off a new wave of terror.

The fact that Putin made his decision in early September is significant, too. At the beginning of September Russians remember and grieve the 186 children killed by Chechen terrorists who had held them hostage during three days of terror at Beslan school in the Caucasus from September 1st to September 4th, 2004.

Putin has consistently worked to re-establish the standing and prestige of the Orthodox Christian Church in Russia. Traditionally, until the 1917 Bolshevik revolution, Russia took its role as the defender of Christians — especially Orthodox ones — across the Middle East very highly. Russia fought the 1853-56 Crimean War against Protestant England and Catholic France precisely over the issue of which Christian power should have the dominant role in protecting holy sites and Christians in the old caliphate of the Ottoman empire.

Syria was about 10% Christian 20 years ago; now its historic Christian communities, among the oldest in the world, are virtually extinct. Much as secular Westerners may sneer, the motive of protecting and restoring what is left is also a factor in Moscow’s calculations.

Most of all, Syria represents Russia’s last foothold in the region and on the Mediterranean shore. And the Assad dynasty has been a loyal ally of both the Soviet Union and modern Russia. Russian policymakers feel a comparative loyalty to Damascus as the United States has felt for so many years to Tel Aviv.

The United States’ still-ascendant neo-cons and neo-liberal hawks led by Susan Rice, Samantha Powers and Victoria Nuland remain committed to their 21st-century crusade of spreading secular democracy, peace and freedom Washington-style across the Middle East by fire, sword and drone — heedless of the tens of thousands of innocent civilians who get in the way of US friendly fire.

The neo-liberals, like the neo-cons before them, continue to grind up every pre-existing, previously stable government that stands in their way. The pattern of Iraq, Yemen, Egypt and Libya looked set to be repeated in Syria. Then Putin stepped in.

There is one more motive for Putin’s intervention: It is retaliation for the continued, enormously dangerous US game of arming and training Ukraine troops and feeding the fires of anti-Russian prejudice both in Ukraine and in the United States.

Putin’s move to support Syrian President Bashar Assad is a strong signal to Washington that Russia is perfectly capable of striking back.

Initial reports suggest Putin’s decision to send aid and military advisers to Syria have prompted Washington to show it is prepared to cooperate with Russia over crafting a compromise political solution for Syria.

The US government had shown it was prepared to outrage and ignore Russia by installing its favourites next door to Moscow in Ukraine. Putin is determined not to let them get away with it again in the Middle East.

From the Kremlin’s perspective the risks of intervening in Syria are far outweighed by the opportunities and by the danger Russia believes it can prevent through its intervention.

One thing above all is clear. The Russians are back: They aren’t going away soon.

Very interesting reply. I heard almost all that phraseses before, on russian TV. I am sure that Mr.Putin do not care about Middle East Christians in Syria and the fact that Putin made his decision in early September is really significant but only because of GA UN in New -York. Let us speak frankly, he (president Putin) pursues only his own interest in Syria and he is not a hero-saver.

Very interesting reply. I heard almost all that phraseses before, on russian TV. I am sure that Mr.Putin do not care about Middle East Christians in Syria and the fact that Putin made his decision in early September is really significant but only because of GA UN in New -York. Let us speak frankly, he (president Putin) pursues only his own interest in Syria and he is not a hero-saver.

True. Of course every dane person in this world knows Putin is only doing what is best for Russia/what best serves Russia's interests, nothing wrong in that . I just find it funny when i see some funny Chinese(ans even pakistani) members here trying to frame it as if Russia is some peace loving country trying to save the world.:rofl: I dont know if they are serious or just being sarcastic.

I know most of them hate/resent the West/U.S dominance over the world, but that doesnt means they should justify every Russian action/aggression as "peaceful/benevolent".lool Even the Russians wouldnt be flattered by that. :lol:

Anywsy, coming to topic, of course Russia will try as much as possible to bolster Syrias fragile/weakened tegine since Syria is the only remaining middle eastern country where Russia still has a military base/major influence and acts as a Russian gateway to the region. If Russia was to lost such a strategic military base there. Then it will bw a major setback for its regional aspirations/influence. So i understand Putins resolve to keep dictatorial Assad in power by all means necessary.
As i said before, Russia is still the only non western country who can still challenge us militarily in the West/U.S worldwide. Since its the only western country with a sophisticated/advanced military reach with allies foreign bases who can take on the west, since Russia has always been an expansionist interventionist power like we in the west/U.S, reason Russia has so much experience in foreign interventions and they are giving really tough time in this great game. China is still kind of far behind in this regard. Maybe in a couple decades from now they will get there .:):D

Last edited:
True. Of course every dane person in this world knows Putin is only doing what is best for Russia/what best serves Russia's interests, nothing wrong in that . I just find it funny when i see some funny Chinese(ans even pakistani) members here trying to frame it as if Russia is some peace loving country trying to save the world.:rofl: I font know if they are serious or just being sarcastic. I know most of them hate/resent the West/U.S dominance over the world, but that doesnt means they should justify every Russian action/aggression as "peaceful/benevolent".lool Even the Russians wouldnt be flattered by that. :lol:

Do not hate Russia so much man. You are losing your cool.

Do not be like this:

Clinton: Russia and China will 'pay price' for supporting Assad — RT News

Russian have tackled usa and its allies very well in Syria and ukraine.
Uncle sam and their allies have miserably failed in achieving their goals.

Russia is paying a heavy price but they got the result they wanted up till now.

WTF, I thought Al Qaeda was supposed to be completely by the United States by now! Why are they still existing?! What the hell has our military with our 10 aircraft carriers being doing all this time? *facepalm*
How the hell told you uncle sam wants to finish alqaida and isis. These are their proxy assets.

True. Of course every dane person in this world knows Putin is only doing what is best for Russia/what best serves Russia's interests, nothing wrong in that . I just find it funny when i see some funny Chinese(ans even pakistani) members here trying to frame it as if Russia is some peace loving country trying to save the world.:rofl: I dont know if they are serious or just being sarcastic.

I know most of them hate/resent the West/U.S dominance over the world, but that doesnt means they should justify every Russian action/aggression as "peaceful/benevolent".lool Even the Russians wouldnt be flattered by that. :lol:

Anywsy, coming to topic, of course Russia will try as much as possible to bolster Syrias fragile/weakened tegine since Syria is the only remaining middle eastern country where Russia still has a military base/major influence and acts as a Russian gateway to the region. If Russia was to lost such a strategic military base there. Then it will bw a major setback for its regional aspirations/influence. So i understand Putins resolve to keep dictatorial Assad in power by all means necessary.
As i said before, Russia is still the only non western country who can still challenge us militarily in the West/U.S worldwide. Since its the only western country with a sophisticated/advanced military reach with allies foreign bases who can take on the west, since Russia has always been an expansionist interventionist power like we in the west/U.S, reason Russia has so much experience in foreign interventions and they are giving really tough time in this great game. China is still kind of far behind in this regard. Maybe in a couple decades from now they will get there .:):D

LOL !!!! yes dont hit the terrorist it will prolong the war in Syria is the best one i have herd so far.:rofl:

Do not hate Russia so much man. You are losing your cool.

Do not be like this:

Clinton: Russia and China will 'pay price' for supporting Assad — RT News

To be honest im just stating a facy. Moreover you cant club Russia and China together in this field, since China has no military influence/role in Syria. Truth be told without Russia military presence/influence in Syria we would have toppled Assad long ago. Its Russia that has been Assads main support not China. China is just following Russia's leading role in UNSC. Reason we still regard Russia as our biggest threat not China. China to be honest has never ever threatened us.

Last edited:
To be honest im just stating a facy. Moreover you cant club Russia and China together in this field, since China has no military influence/role in Syria. Truth be told without Russia military presence/influence in Syria we would have toppled Assad long ago. Its Russia that has been Assads main support not China. China is justbfollowing s leading role in UNSC. Reason we still regard Russia as pur biggest threat not China. China to be honest has never ever threatened us.

China is not involved in Middle Esastern security affairs, which includes Syria, except China's key (double) veto at the UNSC, which drove Hillary crazy.

With Russia involved, you will never topple Assad.

But there are other geopolitical developments to be considered, as well. In Europe, it was France, not really UK, that really wanted to see Assad go. But, after the Iran deal and France's warming economic ties with Iran, Paris got softer on this.

Also, the migrant crisis, which Turkey had hoped to bring Europe together to quickly solve the Assad problem, backfired. Now more and more sane politicians understand that Assad is the key to tackle the terrorism and radicalism as well as refuge crisis.

China is involved only if its key national interests are threatened. There is nothing going on in the Middle East that really threaten China more than they threaten Europe or the US.

For example, on SCS, we do not even give the slightest importance to what London might think.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom